Training 2023 Training - reports, pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree,Bolton is the danger man. Nankervis isnt a threat in the forward line,Harry an Charlie have the speed up their sleeve,Nank is a plodder. He's the least of our worries.
Actually disagree. He is one of their dirty players that gets away with a fair bit. Pitto needs to play and be physical against him.

Actually disagree. He is one of their dirty players that gets away with a fair bit. Pitto needs to play and be physical against him.
Agreed. Nankervis has perfected the tackling technique of wrapping a player up and falling on them with his full weight and driving into them. They can’t break their fall because he has wrapped them up.

Doesn’t matter if he’s cumbersome. He still knows what spot to stand in to block our KPF leading areas.

Need Pitto at his most physical and combative self.

I got there late, but no sign of Mots. Durds running laps. I reckon both will play 😄

Back on Cunners, he was the leading forward for a while and using the speccy pad. Wasn’t fully extending his arm on all occasions, but you’d not have known he was in any real discomfort otherwise. Was running and drilling goals from 50 etc.

Last edited:
Marchy, Philp, Mots, Cez, Boyd, Gov, Carroll and Cotts working away from main group at the start of training. Cez and Durds joined into certain drills whilst Gov and Bot were doing some running on the far side.

Walshy started doing some laps then joined in on a couple skills drills, then went back to running laps afterwards. Moving pretty well

Harry, Charlie and Jack Martin didn’t do any training at all, H and Martin come out for 15 minutes of goal kicking. Charles not sighted

Mots didn’t join in any of the main drills that I noticed. Fogarty appeared to be doing most of training and was running some laps afterward.

Cunners, Dowy and Chugga all joined in for just about everything but they were wearing fluro hats and seemed like it was lighter contact for those boys. Kempy did full training, doesn’t appear to be carrying anything

Young boys all looked good, Lemmey has fanstastic skills for a big fella. Doc and Newy both look in great nick and are covering ground well.

Was a very light session with a focus on holding and leading into space and also using the stand rule to open overlap run.

Crowd went nuts when Crippa came over to do signing. Good day out

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Marchy, Philp, Mots, Cez, Boyd, Gov, Carroll and Cotts working away from main group at the start of training. Cez and Durds joined into certain drills whilst Gov and Bot were doing some running on the far side.

Walshy started doing some laps then joined in on a couple skills drills, then went back to running laps afterwards. Moving pretty well

Harry, Charlie and Jack Martin didn’t do any training at all, H and Martin come out for 15 minutes of goal kicking. Charles not sighted

Mots didn’t join in any of the main drills that I noticed. Fogarty appeared to be doing most of training and was running some laps afterward.

Cunners, Dowy and Chugga all joined in for just about everything but they were wearing fluro hats and seemed like it was lighter contact for those boys. Kempy did full training, doesn’t appear to be carrying anything

Young boys all looked good, Lemmey has fanstastic skills for a big fella. Doc and Newy both look in great nick and are covering ground well.

Was a very light session with a focus on holding and leading into space and also using the stand rule to open overlap run.

with the greatest respect, stevie - can anyone confirm what you saw?

Last edited:
Cheers for all the reports, sounds like a great day was had… feeling a lot more of a positive vibe now heading into Thurs. For those there, how serious of a chance is Cunners for getting up to play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great summary!! Can confirm Stevie's innervisions....

Just a few more bits and pieces to add....
  • great to see Boyd out there doing some running drills.
  • Durds moving well - ended up also doing some drills, probably just to get some conditioning into him. Expect him to play.
  • Mots doing some light work early on - didn't seem too hampered, so if he misses, you'd imagine it won't be for long.
  • Walsh is a running machine!!! Must have racked up a few marathons with all the laps he put together this morning.
  • Cunners moving across the ground like a gazelle - but didn't take part in any contact work. Can't wait to see him back.
  • Hollands/Cowans would have to be a chance for selection on Thursday - did all the work with the main group.
  • I'm loving the defensive work of big Nigel....breathing right down Young's back for that 2nd key defensive role.

Last edited:

Thanks for the training report StevieWonder 👍

I’ve copied your post over to the Training Blog No Discussion thread.

If we can't make an AFL footballer out of Honey then our player development is garbage. He's got all the tools, he's the ideal blank canvas. Turn him into an on onballer, half back, back pocket or forward. IMO we lack that powerful mid who can go forward and impact.

Forward mid is what we need to be developing guys like Honey and Kemp as. If that fails then your fall back is to develop them in defence.

There is no way these guys can't become good AFL players.

• Durds moving well - ended up also doing some drills, probably just to get some conditioning into him. Expect him to play.
  • Mots doing some light work early on - didn't seem too hampered, so if he misses, you'd imagine it won't be for long.
  • Walsh is a running machine!!! Must have racked up a few marathons with all the laps he put together this morning.
  • Cunners moving across the ground like a gazelle - but didn't take part in any contact work. Can't wait to see him back.
  • Hollands/Cowans would have to be a chance for selection on Thursday - did all the work with the main group.
  • I'm loving the defensive work of big Nigel....breathing right down Young's back for that 2nd key defensive role.

Thanks Bamboo 👍

Also copied over to the Training Blog No Discussion thread.

If we can't make an AFL footballer out of Honey then our player development is garbage. He's got all the tools, he's the ideal blank canvas. Turn him into an on onballer, half back, back pocket or forward. IMO we lack that powerful mid who can go forward and impact.

Forward mid is what we need to be developing guys like Honey and Kemp as. If that fails then your fall back is to develop them in defence.

There is no way these guys can't become good AFL players.
You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it go in and get the footy.

Where was Plowman and Cincotta training, with the main squad? Right coloured jumpers on?

Where was Plowman and Cincotta training, with the main squad? Right coloured jumpers on?
Yep, both there, as was Kemp :thumbsu:

Just one other observation I forgot....O'Keefe looks a real athlete. He'll no doubt be a slow burn, but looks like it may be another big tick to Austin and his crew.

Great to see Nigel working hard. Want him to be constantly pressing for that second tall defensive post and keeping Youngy honest and accountable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back