Under Age 2026 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
The first lot of names in probably school sport history to not have U12's games (due to the shutdown) which means that, for the first time in the digital age, this is a group of players who didn't get the opportunity (as 12 year olds) to get themselves on the radar of recruiters to follow their progress.

Having said that, Brisbane Lions academy prospect Harrison Bridge made this year's U15's Australian Football All-Australian side so is worth a shout out.

There's also a guy from the west called Hurricane Clark, the younger brother of 2023 prospect Tyzreise Clark.

A bit early but there are 2 names here so the foundations have been set.

For Hawthorn fans, this is Ben Crawford's first eligible year.
For Collingwood fans, this is Ayce Buckley's first eligible year.

The first lot of names in probably school sport history to not have U12's games (due to the shutdown) which means that, for the first time in the digital age, this is a group of players who didn't get the opportunity (as 12 year olds) to get themselves on the radar of recruiters to follow their progress.

Having said that, Brisbane Lions academy prospect Harrison Bridge made this year's U15's Australian Football All-Australian side so is worth a shout out.

There's also a guy from the west called Hurricane Clark, the younger brother of 2023 prospect Tyzreise Clark.

A bit early but there are 2 names here so the foundations have been set.

For Hawthorn fans, this is Ben Crawford's first eligible year.
For Collingwood fans, this is Ayce Buckley's first eligible year.
Harrison Bridge was named the MVP of the School Sports U15 tournament. As a 14 year old.

There is also a couple of other kids from the Lions academy already gaining attention.

Harrison Bridge HB (Sherwood)
Maxwell Boothey MID (Sherwood)
Harry Thomson KPP (Sherwood)

Ben plays for the Northern River Squad. An according to his mum via her socia media, is the son whom is more likely to be the one who follows dad Shane into the AFL at this time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220822-005449_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822-005449_Instagram.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 298
  • Screenshot_20220901-171817_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901-171817_Facebook.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 294

Ben plays for the Northern River Squad. An according to his mum via her socia media, is the son whom is more likely to be the one who follows dad Shane into the AFL at this time.
Listen Gold Coast, we let you have Dew and he's now looking like your best-ever coach. You have Noah Anderson, who was that close to going to us as a father-son. All I ask is that you leave the Crawf kids alone. It's all we have when you ignore the threepeat and 2008.

Listen Gold Coast, we let you have Dew and he's now looking like your best-ever coach. You have Noah Anderson, who was that close to going to us as a father-son. All I ask is that you leave the Crawf kids alone. It's all we have when you ignore the threepeat and 2008.
Nah, we let you have Scrimshaw for a fourth rounder so I think we'll gladly take Ben Crawford as compensation. No hard feelings :thumbsu:

The 2023 AFL National Development Championships – U16 Boys will begin with a clash between Victoria Country and Victoria Metro on Saturday, June 10 during the King’s Birthday weekend in Victoria.

The first round of fixtures will be played across four states, before all ten teams converge on the Gold Coast where the final two rounds will be played from July 3 to July 7.

The 2023 AFL National Championships – U18 Girls will again feature six teams. Queensland, South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro and Western Australia will all field teams, along with the Allies, which will comprise players from New South Wales, ACT, Northern Territory and Tasmania.

2023 AFL National Development Championships – U16 Boys​

Teams: Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants, Northern Territory, South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro, Sydney Swans Academy, Tasmania and Western Australia

DATEHOME TEAMAWAY TEAMVENUE
Sat, June 10Victoria CountryVictoria MetroIKON Park, VIC
Sat, June 17GWS GIANTS AcademySydney Swans AcademyBlacktown Int. Sportspark, NSW
Sat, June 24Northern TerritoryTasmaniaHighgate Rec. Reserve, VIC
Sun, June 25Western AustraliaSouth AustraliaTBC, WA
Sun, June 25Brisbane LionsGC SUNS AcademyBrighton Homes Arena, QLD
Mon, July 3GC SUNS AcademyTasmaniaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Mon, July 3GWS GIANTS AcademyNorthern TerritoryHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Mon, July 3Brisbane LionsSydney SwansHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Tue, July 4Victoria MetroWestern AustraliaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Tue, July 4Victoria CountrySouth AustraliaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Thu, July 6TasmaniaGWS GIANTS AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Thu, July 6GC SUNS AcademySydney Swans AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Thu, July 6Northern TerritoryBrisbane Lions AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Fri, July 7South AustraliaVictoria MetroFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Fri, July 7Western AustraliaVictoria CountryFankhauser Reserve, QLD

As there might be some 15 year olds playing as bottom agers in the U16's, it feels right to copy and paste Lore's comment to put in this thread

Harrison Bridge was named the MVP of the School Sports U15 tournament. As a 14 year old.
Reminds me of Will Ashcroft when he did the same thing in his last year based on the Gold Coast. The unfortunate part for both of our clubs is that at the U15/16 level we appear to have juniors that are the equal of or better than their counterparts in other states but in the U17/18 years we fall way behind in terms of development and a lot of these kids are lucky to even be rookie listed by the time the draft rolls around. How do we get around that challenge? Ashcroft was able to move to relocate to Melbourne and continued his progression as a standout all throughout his junior career but I dare say he wouldn't have been considered a top 2 pick if he had remained in Queensland for those three years. I also don't think sending Queenslanders to another state to continue their development is a good way of getting around the issue. We need to find a better local solution to this issue to ensure Queensland juniors don't fall behind.

Question.

Would Tasmania see this as their foundation draft? (I.e. have the ability to pre-select 12 players born between January 1-April 30 2008.)

Adding to this, some zoned players born in 2006 and 2007 too.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This draft crop is looking more and more likely to be the crop of boys players, of which the prospective Tasmanian team will get to dissect the most.

Bastyy.

Get ready for the busiest and, possibly, most jam packed draft thread of yours ever.

As an aside, next year or the year after, I reckon draft board posts should be split into 2.

For the draft class of 2026, one list dedicated to the mainland talent and the other list dedicated to Tassies.

This draft crop is looking more and more likely to be the crop of boys players, of which the prospective Tasmanian team will get to dissect the most.

Bastyy.

Get ready for the busiest and, possibly, most jam packed draft thread of yours ever.

As an aside, next year or the year after, I reckon draft board posts should be split into 2.

For the draft class of 2026, one list dedicated to the mainland talent and the other list dedicated to Tassies.
Preparing comfortably by taking a year off 🤗

Bastyy.

Only problem is that it would appear Tasmania won't be competing in the U15 National Schoolboys Championship this year. Otherwise we'd get a decent idea of potential recruitable Tasmanian talent from the '26 draft class.

Victoria's and Western Australia's squads have dropped.

WA.
FIRST NAMESURNAMESCHOOL
AngusAbbonizioHale School
DrewClarkeSouth Coast Baptist College
JaydenClarkeScotch College
LorenzeColeKarratha senior high school
JaykeCooperMandurah Catholic College
JaiDebonoChisholm Catholic College
MatthewEdgelowDarling Range Sport College
RileyHayPeter Moyes Anglican High School
SamuelHillBelridge Secondary College
AlastairKellyGovernor Stirling Senior High School
GarrisonKenhGovernor Stirling Senior High School
ConnorLallyJohn Paul College Kalgoorlie
KobyLeCrasAquinas College
SaulMcCannMandurah Catholic College
KyeOrmerodLeeming Senior High School
McKennaPringleKolbe Catholic College
LucasRobinsonHale School
AdamSchmechtigWarwick Senior High School
NateScottKennedy Baptist College
ThatcherSimmonsSt Mark’s Anglican Community School
LeoSteedWesley College
CoenTuckMandurah Catholic College
AxelWalshTrinity College
JamesWhelanComet Bay College
OliverWilliamsAquinas College
TRAIN ON PLAYERS [8]
JaiBaron-HaySacred Heart College
CorbinBoylsonAquinas College
CooperDudfieldMazenod College
FletcherFarrHale School
SonnyGoslingNewman College
AustinLekiasHalls Head College
CooperMcMeikanWilletton Senior High School
JoshuaNathanWesley College

Vic Blue.
ArchieSpencerMount Lilydale Mercy College
ArkiButlerBrighton Grammar School
BenCarrollMount Eliza Secondary College
CharlieHarperXavier College
CodyWalkerSt Joseph's College
DarcyHarringtonSt Joseph's College Geelong
HunterRyanLilydale High School
JackSurkittSt Bede's College
JakeRingHaileybury College
JasperShoneBass Coast College
JordanKnappYarra Valley Grammar
JoshuaDjatschenkoMaribyrnong College
LachlanGalletlyMontmorency Secondary College
LachlanHicksWesley College Melbourne
LeviWestBuckley Park College
LewisHoundsomeParade College
MatthewD'AmicoMarcellin College
MaxDownesHazel Glen College
MaxMatthewsSt Bede's College
MitchTonerCaulfield Grammar School
NedBadrockSt Joseph's College Geelong
SamHarrisSt Bernard's College
SamDeversWhitefriars College Inc
ThomasMacmillanBass Coast College
ZacAntonellosWhitefriars College Inc

Vic White.
AngusTippettKardinia International College
ArcherChamberlainSt Joseph's College Geelong
BartLeetonScotch College
BenWilsonIvanhoe Grammar School
BillyWigmoreSt Mary's College Melbourne
BlakeNewtonCathedral College Wangaratta
BlakeSofraNotre Dame College
CharlieRobbinsNorthcote High School
DieselBeckRowville Secondary College
DouglasAshbyNagle College
HarvieCookeAssumption College
HenryThomasBrighton Grammar School
JackCondelloEmmaus College
JackPickettSt Joseph's College Geelong
JackThomsonWestern Heights Secondary College
JasperWilliamsBrighton Grammar School
KristianFitzsimmonsGoulburn Valley Grammar School
LachieCollinsYarra Valley Grammar
LeviPrismallBlackburn High School
OliverThomsonRowville Secondary College
OliverCapeSt Patrick's College Ballarat
TethloachLiemSt Patrick's College Ballarat
TevitaRodanSt Bernard's College
ThomasLincolnMaribyrnong Secondary College
TomRocheBrighton Grammar School

Emergencies:

ArchieDewarVermont Secondary College
BanjoWalshParade College
BenjaminPlutRingwood Secondary College
ConnorMacmillanBass Coast College
CoreyAh MuWantirna College
FletcherPittardSt Francis Xavier College
OliverPanozzoCaulfield Grammar School
XavierCollinsIona College

How do each of the states pick their u15 schoolboy sides?

I've done m best to keep an eye on the u15s up here in QLD for the last 5 years or so, and this year was able to actually attend the carnival (as it was in Brisbane) and its an absolutely horrendous process and if they are truly using the u15 schoolboy side for anything other than a week off school, as opposed to talent ID or development, its no wonder QLD footy has struggled to get kids drafted from time to time. (this year will be an exception)

There were like 10 regions or so, they grade them from the previous years results (despite being an entirely new cohort) and then the guy who coaches one of the regions picks the side himself and picks 40% of the side from his region, 40% from the winning region and then a handful of kids seem to be randomly picked from the rest.

Some of the teams don't even have a competitive game and win by 100 points every game, then somehow finish 6th and get nobody in the side. One fo the more bizarre carnivals I've ever seen.

Gee whiz they missed some seriousl;y elite players in the process too, while some serious numpties got picked by virtue of being in a good team.

How do each of the states pick their u15 schoolboy sides?

I've done m best to keep an eye on the u15s up here in QLD for the last 5 years or so, and this year was able to actually attend the carnival (as it was in Brisbane) and its an absolutely horrendous process and if they are truly using the u15 schoolboy side for anything other than a week off school, as opposed to talent ID or development, its no wonder QLD footy has struggled to get kids drafted from time to time. (this year will be an exception)

There were like 10 regions or so, they grade them from the previous years results (despite being an entirely new cohort) and then the guy who coaches one of the regions picks the side himself and picks 40% of the side from his region, 40% from the winning region and then a handful of kids seem to be randomly picked from the rest.

Some of the teams don't even have a competitive game and win by 100 points every game, then somehow finish 6th and get nobody in the side. One fo the more bizarre carnivals I've ever seen.

Gee whiz they missed some seriousl;y elite players in the process too, while some serious numpties got picked by virtue of being in a good team.
This is a strange take on U15 Queensland footy considering the results last year that included the girls team claiming the national championship after completing an undefeated campaign and the boys team were one victory away from doing the same thing but just fell short against eventual champions SA by 8 points. I actually think junior footy in Queensland is the strongest it's probably ever been right now.

Ashcroft & Fletcher were both top 12 picks last year, Walter, Read and Rogers all look like locks for top 10-15 picks this year, there's a few bottom agers that look like first round picks next year (Lombard & Nancarrow), there appears to be several U16 standouts in both QLD academies with guys like recently named Alan McLean Medalist Addinsall also looking like future first round picks. Hopefully that continues into this draft class and I suspect we'll know the answer to that question in a few weeks from now when the U15 Championships conclude.

Clearly grassroots footy in Queensland is doing something right to consistently churn out these standouts on the national stage. I'd reserve criticism of the selection process until after you see how the team performs in the national competition. Where can I find the list of players selected for the U15 Queensland team this year?

Not a comment on the status or quality of players in QLD in general, merely a comment on the strange selection process I witnessed this year. Who knows, perhaps they might have won it last year if they had picked the right kids (I have no idea if they did or they didn't, as I never saw the process and results suggest they got it right last year, I agree)

though there is a lad called Ben Lillico, another one called Raph Geesu and another one called Jack Slater - all in the top 5-10 players for that age group who weren't in that team last year. Might have been injured, who knows?

Appreciate that picking teams from a carnival type situation is alsways going to result in sub optimal results, which is why I was asking how other states do it?

Think as a starting point, the selector/coach shouldn't be coaching a region, and you'll never be able to convince me that 80% of the side coming from 2 x teams is a good idea. Kids from NQ and CQ didn't get a look in because their teams weren't competitive.

It's probably not really a key component of the talent pathway anyway, but kids would be living on getting picked in these teams

6th name on the list. Also, apparently one of our best academy kids wasn’t selected (only a guess, but he played in a weaker region team).
View attachment 1742185

Harry Thomson?

Also:

Levi has to be Maddi and Teagan's brother.
Are any of the Murray's, Jai's brother?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back