Under Age 2025 AFL Draft General Discussion

The 2023 AFL National Development Championships – U16 Boys will begin with a clash between Victoria Country and Victoria Metro on Saturday, June 10 during the King’s Birthday weekend in Victoria.

The first round of fixtures will be played across four states, before all ten teams converge on the Gold Coast where the final two rounds will be played from July 3 to July 7.

The 2023 AFL National Championships – U18 Girls will again feature six teams. Queensland, South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro and Western Australia will all field teams, along with the Allies, which will comprise players from New South Wales, ACT, Northern Territory and Tasmania.

2023 AFL National Development Championships – U16 Boys​

Teams: Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast Suns, GWS Giants, Northern Territory, South Australia, Victoria Country, Victoria Metro, Sydney Swans Academy, Tasmania and Western Australia

DATEHOME TEAMAWAY TEAMVENUE
Sat, June 10Victoria CountryVictoria MetroIKON Park, VIC
Sat, June 17GWS GIANTS AcademySydney Swans AcademyBlacktown Int. Sportspark, NSW
Sat, June 24Northern TerritoryTasmaniaHighgate Rec. Reserve, VIC
Sun, June 25Western AustraliaSouth AustraliaTBC, WA
Sun, June 25Brisbane LionsGC SUNS AcademyBrighton Homes Arena, QLD
Mon, July 3GC SUNS AcademyTasmaniaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Mon, July 3GWS GIANTS AcademyNorthern TerritoryHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Mon, July 3Brisbane LionsSydney SwansHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Tue, July 4Victoria MetroWestern AustraliaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Tue, July 4Victoria CountrySouth AustraliaHeritage Bank Stadium, QLD
Thu, July 6TasmaniaGWS GIANTS AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Thu, July 6GC SUNS AcademySydney Swans AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Thu, July 6Northern TerritoryBrisbane Lions AcademyFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Fri, July 7South AustraliaVictoria MetroFankhauser Reserve, QLD
Fri, July 7Western AustraliaVictoria CountryFankhauser Reserve, QLD

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
YES!
I'm going early.

YES!
It's the start of 2022.

YES!
This my earliest created thread.

So let's ring in the new year with names born in 2007, a year which saw the likes of Gibbs, Selwood and Boak debut and Hird, Ricciuto, Archer and Koutoufides retire.

Yes, there's another Duursma (Willem) going through the ranks.

This one will be a draft that Geelong fans focus on as Jagger Mooney (Cameron's boy) will be discussed often.

Davo-27, eDPS or PMBangers.
In the U15 Vic Metro vs Vic Country game circa October-November, were there any 2007 born names who stood out?

HAPPY NEW YEAR all.

Happy scouting everyone.

Last edited:

CaptainWorpedo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
YES!
I'm going early.

YES!
It's the start of 2022.

YES!
This my earliest created thread.

So let's ring in the new year with names born in 2007, a year which saw the likes of Gibbs, Selwood and Boak drafted and Hird, Ricciuto, Archer and Koutoufides retire.

Yes, there's another Duursma (Willem) going through the ranks.

This one will be a draft that Geelong fans focus on as Jagger Mooney (Cameron's boy) will be discussed often.

Davo-27, eDPS or PMBangers.
In the U15 Vic Metro vs Vic Country game circa October-November, were there any 2007 born names who stood out?

HAPPY NEW YEAR all.

Happy scouting everyone.

Jagger Is a chip off the old block that is for sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220102-143622_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220102-143622_Instagram.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 413

CaptainWorpedo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawk turn is coming with Crawford, Hodge & Burgoyne fingers X

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211130-032059_Layout.jpg
    Screenshot_20211130-032059_Layout.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_20210709_115122.jpg
    IMG_20210709_115122.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 404

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Hawk turn is coming with Crawford, Hodge & Burgoyne fingers X
Will be interesting what happens with Hodges eldest.

Often see him at training in a Lions top, kicking a footy with a few mates.

Haven’t seen next year’s academy list yet, to see if he’s in the academy, but he goes to the one private school up here that has close links to the academy.

CaptainWorpedo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will be interesting what happens with Hodges eldest.

Often see him at training in a Lions top, kicking a footy with a few mates.

Haven’t seen next year’s academy list yet, to see if he’s in the academy, but he goes to the one private school up here that has close links to the academy.

Hawks will have priority over lions, for access. Just like the Suns and Lions over Ashcroft. Hopefully Cooper will be keen to spread his wings and experience Melbourne. An he remembers dads Hawks premierships.

Yeah he goes to the same School as the lions Harry Sharp.

I reckon the Lions will welcome Cooper A.S.A.P

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Hawks will have priority over lions, for access. Just like the Suns and Lions over Ashcroft.
Completely different situation, Ashcroft isn't eligible for the Suns at all because he moved out of their zone, this is more like Blakey/ Scott who had to choose which club they want to go to

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawks will have priority over lions, for access. Just like the Suns and Lions over Ashcroft. Hopefully Cooper will be keen to spread his wings and experience Melbourne. An he remembers dads Hawks premierships.

Yeah he goes to the same School as the lions Harry Sharp.

I reckon the Lions will welcome Cooper A.S.A.P
Actually the kid gets to choose.

Once Ashcroft left the Suns academy a couple of years ago, they lost any access to him.

If you want a comparable example, look at Nick Blakey at Sydney.

nelk boys

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Actually the kid gets to choose.

Once Ashcroft left the Suns academy a couple of years ago, they lost any access to him.

If you want a comparable example, look at Nick Blakey at Sydney.
You really think if Cooper is half good, Sam Mitchell wouldn't get him down into Melbourne by yr 10 at the latest.

Is he even in the academy anyway?

nelk boys

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Will Mitchell still be coach by then?

I expect Cooper will have the greatest say where he wants to be.
Sam Mitchell will have a minimum of 5 years, he is at the start of a rebuild.

Also expect Cooper to remember that 3 peat, he will know how much his family name means to Hawthorn, compared to two minor years at Lions.

Will Lions still be contending by 2026?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sam Mitchell will have a minimum of 5 years, he is at the start of a rebuild.

Also expect Cooper to remember that 3 peat, he will know how much his family name means to Hawthorn, compared to two minor years at Lions.

Will Lions still be contending by 2026?
We’re still like the 4th youngest list in the competition, plenty of kids coming through to keep us contending until 2030 at least.

Ashcroft and Fletcher arriving next draft will add to our high end talent. Then there’s Ashcroft jnr in the 2024 draft (he’s in the Vic Metro U16 academy). We’re starting to get them father son kids coming through from our premiership era team. (Freaking more daughters though, our vflw team will be strong. Akers daughter is a gun).

Like I mentioned earlier (I think it was here), Cooper loves getting about in his Lions guernsey.

I guess it really does depend on where the Hodges are living when Cooper is in year 12.

CaptainWorpedo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We’re still like the 4th youngest list in the competition, plenty of kids coming through to keep us contending until 2030 at least.

Ashcroft and Fletcher arriving next draft will add to our high end talent. Then there’s Ashcroft jnr in the 2024 draft (he’s in the Vic Metro U16 academy). We’re starting to get them father son kids coming through from our premiership era team. (Freaking more daughters though, our vflw team will be strong. Akers daughter is a gun).

Like I mentioned earlier (I think it was here), Cooper loves getting about in his Lions guernsey.

I guess it really does depend on where the Hodges are living when Cooper is in year 12.
The AFL is cracking down on acad

The AFL is cracking down on the academy system, it is meant for youth that would not be in system. Cooper is in the system, an i doubt your lions will have special access to him.

nelk boys

Team Captain
Oct 17, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

That's simply not going to happen. No club can contend properly for 10 years in a row, unless Geelong. Without Zorko, Rich, Daniher, Lyons, Robinson, Neale all retired or on last legs by 2026 you will go down for awhile.

Unknown father sons who have not played a game will not help you instantly.

The AFL has realised its mistakes with academies and zones with (Jamarra) an example, its influence is subtracting every year.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
That's simply not going to happen. No club can contend properly for 10 years in a row, unless Geelong. Without Zorko, Rich, Daniher, Lyons, Robinson, Neale all retired or on last legs by 2026 you will go down for awhile.

Unknown father sons who have not played a game will not help you instantly.

The AFL has realised its mistakes with academies and zones with (Jamarra) an example, its influence is subtracting every year.
From the listed older players, the only two players we don’t already have a replacement for on our list are Daniher and Neale.

And we get Will Ashcroft this year in the draft to eventually replace Neale.

Ashcroft isn’t an unknown father son, he’s a consensus top 3 draft prospect in this years draft. Was the best player in the two U17 challenge matches last year, and has Twomey already taking him up as pick 1. He’s about as unknown as Daicos was last year.

At this stage, the AFL aren’t touching the Northern academies.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The AFL is cracking down on acad

The AFL is cracking down on the academy system, it is meant for youth that would not be in system. Cooper is in the system, an i doubt your lions will have special access to him.
See Nick Blakey from the Sydney Swans as exhibit A.

If you live in NSW (excluding the Riverina) or QLD, you live in one of four Academy zones.

Now a kid can choose not to enter an academy and just play local football, but if he is in an academy, then that academy has access to him, as long as he lives in that academies zone.

Under current rules, it’s the kids choice if he goes academy or father son.

CaptainWorpedo

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
See Nick Blakey from the Sydney Swans as exhibit A.

If you live in NSW (excluding the Riverina) or QLD, you live in one of four Academy zones.

Now a kid can choose not to enter an academy and just play local football, but if he is in an academy, then that academy has access to him, as long as he lives in that academies zone.

Under current rules, it’s the kids choice if he goes academy or father son.
You totally missed my point.
Academy rules are changing.
Academy's were not ment for a kid who is in the system. By the time Cooper is draft age your lions will not have special access to him.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
You totally missed my point.
Academy rules are changing.
Academy's were not ment for a kid who is in the system. By the time Cooper is draft age your lions will not have special access to him.
The AFL has specifically said they won’t be changing the rules around the Northern Academies in the foreseeable future.

Back