Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah not the wrong person I just don’t remember his height 😂 I didn’t list him as tall or small so that might mean he is in the middle.
Was at that game and have seen a bit of him since then. Was okay in the state game but to be fair is all over the shop at the moment and struggles to play within a defined structure, just freewheels and the coaches hate that. The other forwards at Oakleigh have been far better.
As I wrote previously he has plenty of potential but ain’t anywhere near Jagga Smith.

Hey eDPS do you have a view on Ashcroft junior in this draft class?
Pretty good player, not the best but certainly a good player.
To me he looks really developed already so depends if he is done growing or has something left.
If he surname was Jones and not Ashcroft I think the evaluation on him would be more realistic.
Compared to Jagga he is a fair way behind

Sandringham team looks very strong stacked with alot of talent. Two key forwards Luke Trainor and Harry Armstrong, a half forward with incredible agility Josh Docking. Two quality mids Levi Ashcroft and Zach Travers.

Oakleigh have two quality midfielders in Jagga Smith and Tom Gross who looks to be the Tsatas and Wardlaw combo with Smith the agile and silky player to Gross the hard nut. Noah Yze will likely play forward with stints on ball, Patrick Retschko is a classy half back/wing and Peter Constanzo a dangerous forward.

Sandringham team looks very strong stacked with alot of talent. Two key forwards Luke Trainor and Harry Armstrong, a half forward with incredible agility Josh Docking. Two quality mids Levi Ashcroft and Zach Travers.

Oakleigh have two quality midfielders in Jagga Smith and Tom Gross who looks to be the Tsatas and Wardlaw combo with Smith the agile and silky player to Gross the hard nut. Noah Yze will likely play forward with stints on ball, Patrick Retschko is a classy half back/wing and Peter Constanzo a dangerous forward.

Who here isn't from private schools?

You’ve named 3 Brighton Grammar boys there, my son goes there, he’s just not in their company, they are all serious quality, but there‘s another kid I think is even better, Harrison Oliver. I think he has the potential to be better than all of them……Think Luke hodge kicking ability with the same hard edge.

You’ve named 3 Brighton Grammar boys there, my son goes there, he’s just not in their company, they are all serious quality, but there‘s another kid I think is even better, Harrison Oliver. I think he has the potential to be better than all of them……Think Luke hodge kicking ability with the same hard edge.
I saw him play state school footy up forward and looked really good but didn’t have much of an impact as a defender playing for Sandy 16s so yeah he is still on my watch list but unsure on how good he really is.

I saw him play state school footy up forward and looked really good but didn’t have much of an impact as a defender playing for Sandy 16s so yeah he is still on my watch list but unsure on how good he really is.
Yeah I’m nowhere near as well read on junior footballers as yourself. I just watch him play for BGS. Plays on the back flank or even fullback. Just a jet. Looks like a serious player to me. Luke Trainor is Doug Wade‘s grandson i think, he can play too. Fred Fanning’s grandson also at BGS U16’s. It’s a fair year level, don’t think they’ve lost in 3 years, COvId helped one of those though.

On Oakleigh, Noah Yze is a goal square forward. They have 2 really mobile forwards in Caleb Nancarrow and Charlie Richardson. Retschko and Costanza are both injured and won’t play. They have another midfielder Finn O’Sullivan but he is also injured and 50/50 to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oakleigh v Sandy yesterday in the 16’s carnival. Awesome game, Sandy dominated first half, Oakleigh dominated second half and kicked a goal after the siren to draw it.

I also watched yesterday and will go to the 2nd set of games on Thursday, I’ll put up my own mock Metro team after that on here
There were quite a few 17 yr olds playing and that definitely skewed things. Oakleigh and Sandy had 4 each. Heard that Nth Knights had 11, but didn’t see their team list.
With your mock team, do you try and project where the kid may end up or just the best players on the day? Knowing quite a few of the kids from my son playing different sports against them since u10’s you can see which kids are done growing and which kids still have heaps to go.
That said, it was a great standard of footy.

There were quite a few 17 yr olds playing and that definitely skewed things. Oakleigh and Sandy had 4 each. Heard that Nth Knights had 11, but didn’t see their team list.
With your mock team, do you try and project where the kid may end up or just the best players on the day? Knowing quite a few of the kids from my son playing different sports against them since u10’s you can see which kids are done growing and which kids still have heaps to go.
That said, it was a great standard of footy.
Moreso a prediction of who will be picked to play, I would think they would pick the best prospects for the future not just for the here and now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back