Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

BringFevBack2021

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Can anyone tell me anything about the Camporeale twins for South Australia? Position? Look any good?
Here for this as well, apparently pretty handy midfielders but that’s the extent of what I know. Would be a huge bag to secure if they are any good.

EDIT:
Both very good in the SANFL 16’s. Lucas more prolific getting about 30 touches at 83% and Ben is sitting at 23 at 92%

allyearround

Debutant
Jun 7, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
I thought Van der Struyf was best also. Malakai Champion was very good, as was Anthony Hansen. WA's x-factor players lifted the team. Roberts good again. Over ager Tyler Lindberg did some nice things, Chayse Martinson tried hard but his disposal was costly at times in the first half and Koopa Walsh showed glimpses of the reason why he kicked 26 goals in six futures games. Ravenhill had an impact.

I still don't think this list is anywhere near final....there will be 30 other players that emerge at least in the next 24 months.

Vic C were poor. They either kicked it to us or out of bounds.
Ok have just finished watching rest of. game. VIC C? Surely they are better than this. Absolutely agree. How many times did they kick out of bounds or straight to WA.

Have watched quite a bit of Martinson. Tries hard and always competes. He has however always struggled with his disposal through a combination of not lowering his eyes, rushing, poor decision making and quite simply can’t kick. Lacks composure. Will need a lot of work on this aspect of his game if he is to progress to higher levels.

Koopa Walsh not in my best today but yes did show glimpses. He would probably be a little disappointed with his carnival overall so far. Obviously highly rated and should be. Ditto ravenhill.

List is a great start but yes will be a lot of changes in next 24 months and look vastly different. Lots of new names and quite a few will drop off.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Watching live the best players for each state side for me the last two days (best on the day not overall)

SA: Benny Barrett
WA: Malakai Champion
VM: Jagga Smith
VC: Xavier Ivisic
NT: Waylon Davey Motlop
SYD: Jack Roberts
GWS: Cooper Bell
GC: Caleb Nancarrow
BL: Wyatt Greenaway
TAS: Harry McLeod
South Adelaide just keeps on churning them out, Phoenix Hargrave and Benny Barrett look pretty good and of course Sid Draper.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Watching live the best players for each state side for me the last two days (best on the day not overall)

SA: Benny Barrett
WA: Malakai Champion
VM: Jagga Smith
VC: Xavier Ivisic
NT: Waylon Davey Motlop
SYD: Jack Roberts
GWS: Cooper Bell
GC: Caleb Nancarrow
BL: Wyatt Greenaway
TAS: Harry McLeod
Did Levi Ashcroft play and if so how did he go?

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
UPDATE. after round 2 of the u16's, the best from the 3 main states and 4 main teams

Vic Metro:
1.Lucas McInerney - hbf/mid
2.Josh Smillie - really good def
3.Levi Ashcroft - mid
4.Jagga Smith - quick but very slim
-------------------------------------------- top 4
5.Luke Wilson - quick utility
6.Sam Fanning - KPP
7.Ty Kitchell - forw
8.Isaac Kako - sml creative forw
9.Damon Hollow - tough def/mid
10.Patrick Said - smart sml def

Vic Country:
1.Finn O'Sullivan - pick 1 contender/great mid
2.Sam Lalor - strong mid
3.Xavier Ivisic - hbf with smarts
--------------------------------------------- top 3
4.Oliver Warburton - mid
5.Jack Ough - quality def
6.Angus Morrison - KPF
7.Tobie Travaglia - quality def
8.Xavier Lindsey - creative flanker
9.Zac McInnes - KPF/Ruck, kicked 5 goals in 1st game

South Aust:
1.Phoenix Hargrave - mid/def
2.Dyson Sharp - intercepting, composed
3.Sid Draper - quality mid
4.Charlie West - KPF
5.Benny Barrett - Ky Pickett type forw
6.Will McCabe - KPD/speedy
--------------------------------------------- top 6
7.Tyler Welsh - KPF
8.Lucas Camporeale - mid/hbf
9.Jacob Newton - mid

West Aust:
1.Deian Roberts - mid/quick
2.Hugh Boxshall - def
3.Otis Harvey - mid
4.Malakai Champion - forw/mid, quick
---------------------------------------------- top 4
5.Austin Van Der Struyf - quick def
6.Chayse Martinson - mid
7.Harry Jones - def
8.Xavier Walsh - KPF

the best player is probably in the worst team, Finn O'Sullivan is an elite midfielder imo

Last edited:

Futbolista

Club Legend
May 15, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
UPDATE. after round 2 of the u16's, the best from the 3 main states and 4 main teams

Vic Metro:
1.Lucas McInerney - hbf/mid
2.Josh Smillie - really good def
3.Levi Ashcroft - mid
4.Jagga Smith - quick but very slim
-------------------------------------------- top 4
5.Luke Wilson - quick utility
6.Sam Fanning - KPP
7.Ty Kitchell - forw
8.Isaac Kako - sml creative forw
9.Damon Hollow - tough def/mid
10.Patrick Said - smart sml def

Vic Country:
1.Finn O'Sullivan - pick 1 contender/great mid
2.Sam Lalor - strong mid
3.Xavier Ivisic - hbf with smarts
--------------------------------------------- top 3
4.Oliver Warburton - mid
5.Jack Ough - quality def
6.Angus Morrison - KPF
7.Tobie Travaglia - quality def
8.Xavier Lindsey - creative flanker
9.Zac McInnes - KPF/Ruck, kicked 5 goals in 1st game

South Aust:
1.Phoenix Hargrave - mid/def
2.Dyson Sharp - intercepting, composed
3.Sid Draper - quality mid
4.Charlie West - KPF
5.Benny Barrett - Ky Pickett type forw
6.Will McCabe - KPD/speedy
--------------------------------------------- top 6
7.Tyler Welsh - KPF
8.Lucas Camporeale - mid/hbf
9.Jacob Newton - mid

West Aust:
1.Deian Roberts - mid/quick
2.Hugh Boxshall - def
3.Otis Harvey - mid
4.Malakai Champion - forw/mid, quick
---------------------------------------------- top 4
5.Austin Van Der Struyf - quick def
6.Chayse Martinson - mid
7.Harry Jones - def
8.Xavier Walsh - KPF
Deian Roberts is a ripper. The one who is going to burst through is Koopa Walsh at full forward. Kicked 26 goals in 6 futures games. Incredibly from the same small country club (Newtown-Condingup - about 11 hours drive from Perth) as Koltyn Tholstrup.

From everything I've seen - futures and state he is the WA number 1 - for now.

The chances of WA having a 2005 and 2006 number 1 from a small remote club like Newtown-Condingup is 1000 to 1 but it happened.

allyearround

Debutant
Jun 7, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
Deian Roberts is a ripper. The one who is going to burst through is Koopa Walsh at full forward. Kicked 26 goals in 6 futures games. Incredibly from the same small country club (Newtown-Condingup - about 11 hours drive from Perth) as Koltyn Tholstrup.

From everything I've seen - futures and state he is the WA number 1 - for now.

The chances of WA having a 2005 and 2006 number 1 from a small remote club like Newtown-Condingup is 1000 to 1 but it happened.
Would have to agree regarding Koopa Walsh. Whilst he has had a relatively quiet carnival I believe he will be one of the more highly rated out of WA come 2024. He had an outstanding futures carnival.

Lucas Ravenhill will also be one to watch and Harrison Creighton.

As previously mentioned, I will be surprised if the boys in this WA group doesn’t look remarkably different come 18’s.

According to my records Xavier Walsh is 2005. Is that correct?

Last edited:

Futbolista

Club Legend
May 15, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Would have to agree regarding Koopa Walsh. Whilst he has had a relatively quiet carnival I believe he will be one of the more highly rated out of WA come 2024. He had an outstanding futures carnival.

Lucas Ravenhill will also be one to watch and Harrison Creighton.

Agree Roberts, Champion and Van Der Struyf are definite standouts from this group.

As previously mentioned, I will be surprised if the boys in this WA group doesn’t look remarkably different come 18’s.

According to my records Xavier Walsh is 2005. Is that correct?
Yeah Xavier Walsh and Tyler Lindberg are over agers. Odd that the selectors would pick over agers in 16's. I could understand at 18's when it's last chance saloon but 16's doesn't seem right.

allyearround

Debutant
Jun 7, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah Xavier Walsh and Tyler Lindberg are over agers. Odd that the selectors would pick over agers in 16's. I could understand at 18's when it's last chance saloon but 16's doesn't seem right.
Totally agree. I just do not understand it. Put them in as bottoms agers at 18’s. Absolutely no need for it at 16’s.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Two of the Lions team are over agers as well, though both are December births. It’s not uncommon for the NT to have an overager or two.

Futbolista

Club Legend
May 15, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Two of the Lions team are over agers as well, though both are December births. It’s not uncommon for the NT to have an overager or two.
I guess it's understandable for states with a smaller pool to choose from but WA has a fairly large pool and a lot of 2006 players didn't get a gig and while I'm not going to unequivocally say that the side is missing deserving players, enough people have said to me that many players should be in the squad and aren't and I'm prepared to take their word.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tyler Welsh will be one to watch from our end - a father son prospect as the son of Scott Welsh. If he grows a few more CMS, he could be a really good size for a strong marking key forward

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Finn O'Sullivan is the early favourite for pick 1 from my PoV, he is going to Xavier College in Melbourne so will probably play for Oakleigh or Sandringham in the NAB League, we'll see how this ages? :p
He is Oakeligh, very strong midfield group with Jagga Smith and Tom Gross. Tadhj McCarthy is a tall mid forced to play back for Metro, Waylon Davey-Motlop will be a star forward for them and you also have Doug Kerr as a Luke Teal style defender who has missed with injury for Metro.

Others out of the champs due to injury included Peter Costanzo and Patrick Retschko who both would have been huge additions for Metro and then to top it off you have talls Caleb Nancarrow and Charlie Richardson (grandson of Bartlett) there aswell.

Oakleigh vs Sandringham will be a blockbuster game once again in round 1 of 2024

Observer28

Draftee
Jun 26, 2022
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ok have just finished watching rest of. game. VIC C? Surely they are better than this. Absolutely agree. How many times did they kick out of bounds or straight to WA.

Have watched quite a bit of Martinson. Tries hard and always competes. He has however always struggled with his disposal through either a lack of lowering his eyes or rushing. Lacks composure. Will need a lot of work on this aspect of his game.

Koopa Walsh not in my best today but yes did show glimpses. He would probably be a little disappointed with his carnival overall so far. Obviously highly rated and should be. Ditto ravenhill.

List is a great start but yes will be a lot of changes in next 24 months and look
Good to see WA a little more competitive today. Haven’t watched entire game as yet and standard didn’t look overly high with the conditions playing a part in that. Was a little surprised at Vic Country skill level though. Expected them to handle the conditions better.

Not a big number of absolute standouts at this stage but some of the WA boys I’m liking the look of in no particular order:

Austin Van Der Struyf - thought he was best today - let’s hope he keeps growing Harrison Creighton
Deian Roberts
Koopa Walsh
Lucas Ravenhill
Good win for WA today lot harder at it than VIC Metro genuinely shocked at skill level of both Vic teams. Liked Roberts, Harvey, Creighton in the midfield today Hansen at half forward looked lively Martinson got a bit of it skill level and lack of discipline needs to be addressed though. Interesting that Koopa Walsh didn’t play this game but debuted for Subiaco colts this morning

allyearround

Debutant
Jun 7, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
Good win for WA today lot harder at it than VIC Metro genuinely shocked at skill level of both Vic teams. Liked Roberts, Harvey, Creighton in the midfield today Hansen at half forward looked lively Martinson got a bit of it skill level and lack of discipline needs to be addressed though. Interesting that Koopa Walsh didn’t play this game but debuted for Subiaco colts this morning
Great win. Thought WA a lot harder at it. 2 years of very little football in VIC showed I think. The skill level of both VIC teams well below what you would normally expect.

Thought WA midfield was very good today. Yes. Chayse can certainly find the football but lacks discipline and his disposal not quite there. Lacks composure for me.

Best for me today

Walsh
Harvey
Roberts
Jones

Yes saw Koopa Walsh played for Subi today. Kicked 4. His form not quite there for carnival.

Tivva29

Debutant
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Vic picked a really poor team. 18 midfielders with a few talls to fill the gaps. Selfishness was the constant theme…but it was never picked to be a team, just 22 individuals showing their stuff

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Catching up on replays atm, hard not to get drawn to Jayden Nyguen watching Metro play, Jagga Smith getting more plaudits given he's had more inside time and racks it up more but Nyguen just as classy with ball in hand

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Might have missed a few and I know a fair few injuries out of Metro who didn’t even get to make the squad because of it but this is my top 20 after the champs have been done

Finn O’Sullivan - VC
Jagga Smith - VM
Josh Smillie - VM
Tom Gross - VM
Deian Roberts - WA
Levi Ashcroft - VM
Caleb Nancarrow - GC
Tyler Welsh - SA
Harry O’Farrell - VM
Louie Montgomery - SA
Sid Draper - SA
Cooper Bell - GWS