Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

allyearround

Debutant
Jun 7, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
Ok mate I will keep my eyes out. I did see A Subi kid named Tore Nelson in an exhibition game between Aus indigenous 16's v World 16's or something like that. I instantly thought how did that kid not make the WA squad. But I'll look out for Windsor in 2023....thanks for the tip
Yes have also heard good things about Tore. You know my thoughts on that 16’s team this year. 18’s in 2024 will look very very different. I know this is often the case in WA however would love to see it a little closer to the mark so these boys who have a genuine chance of getting drafted have a little more exposure to the higher end coaching that the state academy can provide.

Futbolista

Club Legend
May 15, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Yes have also heard good things about Tore. You know my thoughts on that 16’s team this year. 18’s in 2024 will look very very different. I know this is often the case in WA however would love to see it a little closer to the mark so these boys who have a genuine chance of getting drafted have a little more exposure to the higher end coaching that the state academy can provide.
Yeah mate, this WA 2024 group makes me feel deflated. I don't think it's that good at all. I hope I'm wrong.

allyearround

Debutant
Jun 7, 2022
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah mate, this WA 2024 group makes me feel deflated. I don't think it's that good at all. I hope I'm wrong.
I know. I’m worried too. I do have confidence though in some that weren’t selected for 16’s. Definitely some more genuine talent out there. Let’s wait and see.

footyfreak123

Draftee
Dec 30, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
2006 DOB players in 2022 WAFL Colts/PSA Updated After Round 20

1-Koopa Walsh (S)
2-Tom Cathcart (SD)
3-Harrison Creighton (SD)
4-Deian Roberts (PT)
5-Otis Harvey (SD/PSA)
6-Darcy Petersen (PT)
7-Lucas Ravenhill (CL)
8-Austin Van Der Struyf (CL/PSA)
9-Bienfait Kihusa (EP)
10-Malakai Champion (S/PSA)
11-Anthony Hansen (SD)
12-Luke Urquhart (EF/PSA)
13-Chayse Martinson (SD)
14-Trent Hiscock (WP)
15-Bailey Morgan (EF)
16-Hamish Davis (CL/PSA)
17-Colby McDonald (SD)
18-Ezekiel Hewett (SD/PSA)
19-Jaxon Douglas (CL/PSA)
20-Harry Jones (SD)
21-Bo Allan (PT)
22-Hugh Boxshall (CL/PSA)
23-Ali Al Shuweli (P)
24-Joshua Rossen (SD)
25-Xavier Hickey (S)
26-Ashton Warner (EF/PSA)
27-Reuben Keane (CL)
28-Lukas Jakovich (PT)
29-Owen Cushing (EP)
30-Declan Pauline (EF)
31-Will Thomas (CL)
32-Caylon Seelander (S/PSA)
33-Cooper Moore (P/PSA)
34-Albert Esterhuysen (PT)
35-Cody Ryan (SD)
36-Latrell Yarran (P)
37-Kayle Gerreyn (WP/PSA)
38-William Akec (EP/PSA)
39-Aidan Kavanagh (CL)
40=Kody Katauskas (CL)
40=Jacob Calabrese (EF)

Other players to keep an eye on - , Jaxon Artemis (SF), Keegan Davies (EF), Cody Angove (CL), Jay Neindorf (S), Tom Rooke (WP), Yeabsera Fasil (S), Baylee Payne (WP), Kayde Sherwood (WP), Toré Nelson (S), Harry Case (PT), Marco Madaffari (EF), Joshua Jackson (SF), Aven Drewett (S/PSA), Tom MacGillivray (S), Mitch Bell (S), Finlay Henderson (S), Charlie Thomas (P), Matthew King (PT), Jarrod Donaldson (S), Blake Russell (PT), Jaxan Bibaeff (EF), Tyler Rowe (SF), Hudson Pivac (SF)

2006 DOB players in 2022 WAFL Colts
Votes provided by the WAFL match stats page/coaches votes and an observer watching each game (Volunteers welcome)

Leader Board Games Votes Ave Goals Bienfait Kihusa (EP) 9 14 1.55 8 Koopa Walsh (S) 2 3 1.50 4 Reuben Keane (CL) 2 3 1.50 - Chayse Martinson (SD) 4 5 1.25 1 Otis Harvey (SD) 2 2 1.00 1 Harrison Creighton (SD) 9 3 0.37 1 Tom Cathcart (SD) 6 2 0.33 2 Luke Urquhart (EF) 4 1 0.25 3 Malakai Champion (S) 3 - 0.00 3 Colby McDonald (SD) 5 - 0.00 1 Kody Katauskas (CL) 5 - 0.00 1 Cody Ryan (SD) 2 - 0.00 1 Bailey Morgan (EF) 2 - 0.00 1 Joshua Rossen (SD) 2 - 0.00 1 Aidan Kavanagh (CL) 1 - 0.00 1 Deian Roberts (PT) 6 - 0.00 - Declan Pauline (EF) 3 - 0.00 - Ezekiel Hewett (SD) 1 - 0.00 - Owen Cushing (EP) 1 - 0.00 - Anthony Hansen (SD) 1 - 0.00 - Lucas Ravenhill (CL) 1 - 0.00 - Harry Jones (SD) 1 - 0.00 - Jacob Calabrese (EF) 1 - 0.00 - Ashton Warner (EF) 1 - 0.00 - Bo Allan (PT) 1 - 0.00 -
Is Ezekiel Hewett the brother of Elijah Hewett?

We have two eligible Father Sons for 2024, Ky Burgoyne* and Charlie Crawford. Not sure if Crawford is still playing footy, but was involved with the Suns junior academy.

*Ky is obviously a father son for either Port or Hawthorn.

Jun 24, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have two eligible Father Sons for 2024, Ky Burgoyne* and Charlie Crawford. Not sure if Crawford is still playing footy, but was involved with the Suns junior academy.

*Ky is obviously a father son for either Port or Hawthorn.
There's unfortunately very little chance we get Ky to nominate us. Burgs wants to be in SA by all accounts and I imagine his sons will too. If he's on the fringe of the draft and we say we'll give him a shot while Port won't guarantee him a spot then that's a different story, but if he ends up like Harvey, Archer, or any of the other late round F/S prospects or better I'd suspect he goes to Port. FWIW I don't reckon he gets drafted at all on current form, but there's little chance he ends up with us either way.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You could see that coming. Don’t know if he has a growth spurt left in him, but he’ll be a unit anyway.
Definitely seems to be more of a bull when compared to his brother. Will is listed at 182cm and I'd guess there's at least a 5cm height difference at the moment so Levi is probably in the 175-77cm range right now. Not a dealbreaker as we've seen 178cm Lachie Neale dominate the league but it certainly seems advantageous to be 180+ in the modern AFL.

The top three Queensland prospects for 2024 appear to be Levi Ashcroft, Caleb Nancarrow and Leonardo Lombard after all being named in the U16 AA team last year. We know both Ashcroft and Nancarrow are playing NAB League down in Victoria so it should be fairly easy to follow their progress but Lombard's progress will probably be more difficult to follow with him likely remaining within the local Gold Coast academy pathway. Either way, all three seem like probable first round picks right now and they should all end up getting drafted to the two Queensland teams which is exciting. Queensland footy going from strength to strength in recent years.

Titch3Votes0MooreAA

"Burgoyne to put them in front. He doesn't miss."
Apr 15, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW, Man Utd
I thought it would be best to let you know, my fellow attentive draft watchers, that Sam Lalor represented Victoria Country over the past week at the U17 National Male Championships. He played in all six of their games and batted in five innings, mostly at number four. He scored 148 runs at an average of 37. I saw some of his highlights. He hit an enormous six today against WA that took the opponents about two minutes to find as Vic Country won comfortably. He will have to make a life-altering decision because I think he has the skills to be a star in both sports (and, if he chooses to play cricket, he could eventually play for Australia in white-ball cricket). The Hawthorn supporter in me hopes he prefers to play AFL, as I think he may well be what we need, but the cricketer in me hopes to see him playing for the Melbourne Stars. I wish him well.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Word up north is Leo Lombard is completely dominating U18 training sessions as a bottom ager. Should be interesting to see how he goes if he gets the opportunity to play for the Allies this year.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
GIANTS-Academy-2023-U18-squad-1024x1024.jpeg

Any 2024 names here?

BringFevBack2021

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
RedmanWasHere good luck googling the whole list to find ages of the kids.

Edit: apparently kids are still being added, as Annabel was included after this list was released.
View attachment 1603651
Is it normal to have so many representatives from Maroochydore? That place is one of the worst places I've been in Australia. Rough as guts out there, so it surprises me that there is so much talent there.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Is it normal to have so many representatives from Maroochydore? That place is one of the worst places I've been in Australia. Rough as guts out there, so it surprises me that there is so much talent there.
No idea.

It’s one of our favourite holiday spots. Never experienced any problems there, so I’ve no idea about it being rough.

Beautiful beaches, nice apartments, good food.

BringFevBack2021

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
No idea.

It’s one of our favourite holiday spots. Never experienced any problems there, so I’ve no idea about it being rough.

Beautiful beaches, nice apartments, good food.
You'd know better than I would then, maybe it's not as rough as I thought it was!

Will be keeping a close eye on Phoenix Hargreave from SA (South Adelaide). Son played a couple of years of Junior footy with him and even in Under 10s/12's age groups you could see if he kept at it he could be a shot at getting drafted.

Back