Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
The big trio from Oakleigh performed well with Jagga Smith, Finn O’Sullivan and Tom Gross finding plenty of it. All 3 will form a dangerous midfield partnership in their draft year, still have Patrick Retschko on a wing/half back to come in who is another strong prospect who missed last year with injury

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
The big trio from Oakleigh performed well with Jagga Smith, Finn O’Sullivan and Tom Gross finding plenty of it. All 3 will form a dangerous midfield partnership in their draft year, still have Patrick Retschko on a wing/half back to come in who is another strong prospect who missed last year with injury

Peter Constanzo and Doug Kerr must be close to the top group.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Jayden Nguyen with 22 disposals in the Coates League today. Surprised he hasn’t been talked among the better prospects for next year. Looked great every time I have seen him play.
Is being considered around the 20-30 range not high enough in your opinion? There's rumours NGA might go back to top 20 next year so he might go to Essendon anyway.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
ranking groups for 2024 (top 30) - strong group of vic metro and sa players in this years draft pool (absent allies players)

Elite: Finn O'Sullivan (Sid Draper, only played 1 game before injured, but looked elite from the small sample)
Top Tier 1: Josh Smillie, Jagga Smith, Levi Ashcroft, Sam Lalor, Xavier Ivisic, Deian Roberts, Chayse Martinson, Lucas Camporeale, Phoenix Hargrave, Benny Barrett, Tyler Welsh
Top Tier 2: Lucas McInerney, Luke Wilson, Ty Kitchell, Zak Johnson, Isaac Kako, Xavier Lindsay, Tobie Travaglia, Otis Harvey, Hugh Boxshall, Malakai Champion, Harry Jones, Jacob Newton, Ned Atkinson, Louie Montgomery, Oliver Warburton, Damon Hollow, Jayden Nguyen

Cleric.

This was Davo's sometime last year but don't know if it's changed or not.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm going the early bird, but if Josh Smillie keeps developing, he'll give the top spot a red hot shake.

Not too many 16 year olds can hold their own, let alone dominate the way he has in the opening few weeks. Uses his height and physicality to his benefit, but is also solid on the outside distributing the footy. Couldn't believe it when I read his age last week. Most of the bigger inside mids that come through the juniors don't have the sort of athletic profile he has either, so the scope for upside is huge.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm going the early bird, but if Josh Smillie keeps developing, he'll give the top spot a red hot shake.

Not too many 16 year olds can hold their own, let alone dominate the way he has in the opening few weeks. Uses his height and physicality to his benefit, but is also solid on the outside distributing the footy. Couldn't believe it when I read his age last week. Most of the bigger inside mids that come through the juniors don't have the sort of athletic profile he has either, so the scope for upside is huge.
He can leap which I saw first hand last year a genuine Utility. Reminds me a lot of Brodie Kemp let’s hope he doesn’t get a bad injury like Kemp did.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

if you saw my u16s lists youd know all about Josh Smillie, my only concern is a lack of pace and his attitude which will be revealed in interviews/combines, has most of the other traits and abilities covered.

Titch3Votes0MooreAA

"Burgoyne to put them in front. He doesn't miss."
Apr 15, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW, Man Utd
Quite a few 2006-born players impressed me for Bendigo in their victory over Tasmania last weekend. 192cm key forward propsect James Barrat, Archer Day-Wicks, Jobe Shanahan (192cm KPP, less impressive than Barrat), Tom Evans, and 187cm Tobie Travaglia all impressed, especially Day-Wicks and Barrat. It seems Bendigo has a great deal of talent coming through in 2024. Perhaps they could combine with Harley Reid this year and claim the premiership.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tivva29

Debutant
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Watched Brighton Grammar v Xavier yesterday. Great game and first win for BGS over Xav in 13 years.
The usuals in Finn O’Sullivan, Levi Ashcroft, Harrison Oliver, Luke Trainor all good. Kid that have seen in past years really impressed me, Charlie Richardson from BGS. Similar height to Trainor. Kicked 2 marked well, contested everything against bigger opponents. At Oakleigh but yet to debut. Good size, athletic. One to keep an eye on.

Tivva29

Debutant
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Watched Brighton Grammar v Scotch College today. Brighton had Luke Trainor, Harrison Oliver, Charlie Richardson as u17 boys against Jagga Smith and Caleb Nancarrow. Come from behind win to BGS. Charlie Richardson kicked 5 including a left snap from the boundary. Trainor kicked 2 as well as a late run at CHB. Harrison Oliver dominant midfielder.
Jagga did what he always does. Nancarrow started well but faded in 2nd half.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Watched Brighton Grammar v Scotch College today. Brighton had Luke Trainor, Harrison Oliver, Charlie Richardson as u17 boys against Jagga Smith and Caleb Nancarrow. Come from behind win to BGS. Charlie Richardson kicked 5 including a left snap from the boundary. Trainor kicked 2 as well as a late run at CHB. Harrison Oliver dominant midfielder.
Jagga did what he always does. Nancarrow started well but faded in 2nd half.
No Ashcroft.

Haggas

Team Captain
May 27, 2023
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1Finn O'SullivanMidfielder30/5/06181cm/70kgOakleigh Chargers/Vic Country
2Sid DraperMidfielder/Forward5/7/06180cm/72kgSouth Adelaide/South Australia
3Adelaide F/STyler WelshKey Forward15/8/06191cm/90kgWoodville-West Torrens/South Australia
4Josh SmillieUtility17/5/06194cm/92kgEastern Ranges/Vic Metro
5Jagga SmithMidfielder 28/1/06181cm/68kgOakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
6Deian RobertsMidfielder 24/7/06186cm/84kgPeel Thunder/Western Australia
7Gold Coast (Academy)Leonardo LombardMidfielder/Forward5/10/06178cm/76kgGold Coast Academy/Allies
8Brisbane F/SLevi AshcroftMidfielder18/12/06179cm/75kgSandringham Dragons/Vic Metro
9Chayse MartinsonMidfielder 6/2/06179cm/75kgSwan Districts/Western Australia
10Phoenix HargraveMidfielder 15/9/06181cm/83kgSouth Adelaide/South Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back