List Mgmt. 2023 VFL List Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

COACH: Steve Morris (third season, confirmed until 2024).

STAYING: VFL: Will Bravo, Tom Brindley, Harry Broderick, Mutaz El Nour, Nick Guiney, Austin Johnson, Mykelti Lefau, Archie May, Joel Nathan, Cam Olden, Lachlan Street, Luke Teal, Harry White, Mo Yassine; AFL: Liam Baker, Noah Balta, Sam Banks, Jacob Bauer, Shai Bolton, Nathan Broad, Tom Brown, Seth Campbell, Judson Clarke, Mate Colina, Matt Coulthard, Noah Cumberland, Thomson Dow, Josh Gibcus, Jack Graham, Steely Green, Dylan Grimes, Jacob Hopper, Tom Lynch, Rhyan Mansell, Dustin Martin, Kamdyn McIntosh, Ben Miller, Toby Nankervis, Marlion Pickett, Dion Prestia, Hugo Ralphsmith, Daniel Rioli, Maurice Rioli, Jack Ross, Samson Ryan, Jayden Short, Kaleb Smith, Tyler Sonsie, Tim Taranto, James Trezise, Nick Vlastuin, Tylar Young.

ARRIVING: VFL: Tom Bower (Glen Waverley Rovers/Oakleigh Chargers), Ry Cantwell (North Ringwood/Eastern Ranges), Sam Frangalas (Berwick/Dandenong Stingrays), Joel Garner (Footscray VFL), Liam George (Mooroolbark/Eastern Ranges), Nick Girolami (Mt Eliza), Chad Harris (Sorrento), Harry Scott (Leongatha/Gippsland Power); AFL: Liam Fawcett (Pooraka/Central District), Oliver Hayes-Brown (Perth Wildcats NBL), Jacob Koschitzke (Hawthorn), Kane McAuliffe (Central Augusta/North Adelaide), Sam Naismith (Port Melbourne).

DEPARTING: VFL: Tom Bracher (delisted), Max Clohesy (Shepparton Swans), Billy Cooper (delisted), Fraser Elliot (delisted), Misilifi Faimalo (Sandringham), Angus Hicks (Werribee), Garrett McDonagh (Morningside), Jess McGrath (retired), Brad Melville (Wangaratta), Nathan Oakes, Nathan Philactides (Box Hill Hawks), Beau Tedcastle (delisted), Charlie Naish; AFL: Kaelan Bradtke (delisted), Jason Castagna (retired), Trent Cotchin (retired), Bigoa Nyuon (North Melbourne), Jack Riewoldt (retired), Ivan Soldo (Port Adelaide), Robbie Tarrant (retired).

TO BE CONFIRMED: Ashtyn Atkinson, Ben Bilston-McGillen, Matt Clarkson, Ned Crowe, Lewis Hill, Lachlan Johnson.

Newly-signed Richmond VFL players Sam Frangalas and Harry Scott have joined Tom Bower and Harry Broderick as father-son Tigers.

Frangalas and Scott were announced as VFL Tigers in late 2023 as part of a quintuple signing involving Ry Cantwell, Liam George and Nick Girolami.

Now, they are following in their father's footsteps at Punt Road.

Gary Frangalas and Allister Scott both played for the Richmond Football Club during the 90s.

Gary Frangalas played 68 games in his seven-year career, including 17 games for the Tigers between 1986 and 1989 after moving from the Sydney Swans.

Allister Scott would start his career at Richmond after being selected with pick 13 in the 1989 VFL Draft. He would go on to record 19 games with the club from 1990 to 1993.

For Harry Broderick, who played his first VFL game for Richmond in 2023, he is continuing the legacy of a man who forged an impressive career spanning three decades.

Paul Broderick played 169 games and kicked 90 goals in his eight years as a Tiger, with his standout season at the club coming in 1996.

In 1996, he averaged 24.8 disposals per game and was awarded as the Tigers' Best and Fairest.

Tom Bower, the son of Nathan – the youngest of three brothers to play for Richmond out of Mildura - impressed as a train-on player in 2023.

It was reward for effort in the end, as Tom signed his playing contract in late 2023 after playing consistent football for Noble Park and the Oakleigh Chargers.

Nathan Bower played 74 games for the club, including 20 games in the 1995 season where Richmond finished third on the ladder under John Northey.

The Tigers' fairytale season would come to an end after falling to Geelong in the Preliminary Final, however, Nathan had established himself as an important contributor during the 1995 finals run.

Despite Allister and Gary never taking the field together as teammates, the Scott and Frangalas connection would ignite well before their sons had signed at Richmond VFL.

Harry Scott distinctly remembers his relationship starting with Sam through Under 14s representative basketball, many years before Richmond VFL.

"I grew up playing a lot of basketball…I actually played basketball with ‘Franga’ when we were younger," he said.

"We played Under 14 [representative] basketball together at Dandenong. We were good friends before Richmond VFL."

Sam Frangalas stated that the friendship even found its way onto the football field on the rare occasion they’d face each other.

"Even when I play against him in Coates League it was like 'Hey mate, how's things?'", he said.

"We were lucky enough to get picked to play together at Richmond VFL and I think we’ve got a lot of great memories to come, and also a lot of great memories to share that we’ve had."

Since signing in December, Harry has loved every second of being in the VFL program.

"Life within the VFL program has been awesome," he said.

"It’s a very welcoming group of boys and coaching staff, and the access to the facilities is also really good."

Originally a basketballer, Harry attributes a large portion of his desire to transition and play football to his father, Allister.

"Dad had all the influence on my football growing up, so the transition to footy (from basketball) was probably driven by dad, and he’s been really helpful and guides me through it all," he said.

When asked about the feeling of following in his father’s footsteps at the club, Harry spoke about his drive to succeed and keep the family legacy going.

"It’s pretty surreal to end up at the same place that he started his footy career... Dad playing footy has driven me to want to pursue football as a career and do the same thing that he did," he said.

"I want to try and do what he did at Richmond and keep the Scott name going."

Sam has been relishing the resources and facilities on offer at the club.

"It’s awesome…you’ve got the AFL facilities which you get pretty much full access to," he said.

"Here you’ve got meetings, gym and recovery which is a lot different to local football, or any other level."

Sam remains grateful for the support his father offered to him from a young age in his footballing journey.

"I grew up as a Richmond supporter so being here…and just knowing that dad has supported me the whole way is pretty special," he said.

"I’m sure he’s just as happy as I am that I’m here at the Tigers, just like he was.

"He was always more of the ‘just enjoy it’ kind of guy. He would always encourage me to stay active, but always made it a choice.

"He always made sure that I was enjoying footy, and never took it too seriously to the point where I didn’t want to play anymore. He made sure I enjoyed it and is a big reason why I’m here today."

Sam is determined to forge his own legacy.

"As much as dad did his own thing, I don’t want to stay in his shadow," he said.

"As good of a player as he was, I’m really motivated to make something of myself here and to make my own name."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back