2nds 2023 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing in the WAFL just doesn’t work for WC as they have to get permission from the other clubs for every non AFL listed player they sign for their reserves, so they end up with a bunch of non WAFL caliber players on their reserves list.
The other thing that surprised me when reading that was Adelaide & Port Adelaide could be part of the VFL as early as next season especially given the SANFL competition is going fine as it is and would significantly dilute / destroy the fabric of that competition in South Australia while that this would also bump the VFL competition to 23 clubs unless they decide to bump a non-affiliated VFL team out of the system (most likely going to be Northern Bullants).

Not targeted specifically at our club, but all AFL club’s 2nds sides might be part of a new expanded national reserves competition, which is said to be in place by start of 2027 season, replacing the current VFL system.

A national AFL reserves competition, or expanded VFL, could be on the cards in the coming years as West Coast flagged concerns over the club’s options in the west.

Code Sports reports Eagles CEO Trevor Nisbett fronted the WAFL club presidents on Tuesday after his struggling club was granted list concessions following a winless season and third wooden spoon in a row.

He told the presidents West Coast had the possibility of following Adelaide and Port Adelaide in abandoning their state leagues and either joining an expanded VFL or full AFL reserves competition to develop their young players.

The move would cost the WAFL $600,000 a year in license fees and $1 million if Fremantle did the same and abandoned their partnership with Peel Thunder.

The other options floated by Nisbett, to align with a WAFL club (most likely Perth Demons but this would be very hard to get across the line) or spreading their players across the league (which would be difficult to run and out-of-line with all other AFL clubs), were viewed as much more unrealistic by the presidents which is why they took the AFL reserves competition threat so seriously.

The Western and South Australian clubs are the only ones not involved in the expanded VFL, which holds the historic name despite featuring clubs in New South Wales and Queensland, including 2023 premiers Gold Coast.

Adelaide and Port Adelaide could be involved in an expanded VFL as soon as next season, according to the report, and a full AFL reserves comp is viewed as a possibility for 2027 - as long as the arrangements with AFL airline partner Virgin are changed so all team flights can be chartered.

The VFL currently features a whopping 21 clubs - 11 reserves sides for Gold Coast, Brisbane, the Western Bulldogs (Footscray), Collingwood, Richmond, North Melbourne, Carlton, GWS, Geelong, Essendon and Sydney, plus aligned sides Casey (Melbourne), Box Hill (Hawthorn) and Sandringham (St Kilda).

There are also seven stand-alone sides - Werribee, Williamstown and Port Melbourne who have financial advantages through pokie machines, plus Southport, Frankston, Northern Bullants and Coburg.

The uncompetitiveness of the latter three became a major concern last season with Coburg going winless while Northern Bullants finished with a percentage of 40.4.
Hilarious the author didnt include Southport as one of the pokie driven clubs.

Will Martyn signed to Lions VFL. Good get, I don't think he's shown his best and could find a place on our list eventually.
Also signed from Wilston Grange, Bailey Gordon, Joel Budarick and returning is Zack Derksen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilston Grange $$$

The latest news was he was going to SANFL, so if he's signed with Lions VFL, they must have expressed interest in him for a list spot
Can a QAFL club really pay more than a VFL club?? I'm not sure Grange are as flush for cash as people think.

yes, nearly every league can pay more than a VFL club
VFL salary cap $110k for about 10 players.

Must be a lot of QAFL players, playing for the love of the game.

Or they have some pretty good jobs with “benefits”.

Always surprised me how many of the VFL top ups are there at every training session.

Always surprised me how many of the VFL top ups are there at every training session.
Brisbane probably have the highest paid players because of how they set up their program but yes, the best of the QAFL get big bucks the rest get * all.

I’m pretty sure any players under age of 21 /22 can only be paid a set amount of $200 or $250 per game at VFL level from my understanding. So Lions low ball the younger top ups and pay overs to ex AFL type players or delisted players.

They normally have one or two of them and rest on very minimal money.

Can a QAFL club really pay more than a VFL club?? I'm not sure Grange are as flush for cash as people think.

The salaryt cap in the QAFL is about $75k or thereabouts.

Each club probably has a handful of big $ players, making $500+ per game and it was well known that Grange were paying Matt Eagles and Matt Payne over $1000 per game. They lost nboth those guys in 2023 and added Will Martyn, and he would not have been cheap at all!

A few clubs also not averse to the old paper bag and part time job doing nothing arrangements.

Grange, Aspley, Labrador, Noosa and Morningside would comfortably be the most financial clubs each for different reasons, but they all have plenty of moolah and happy to toss it around.

Hearing both Reville and Dunkley May get moved onto AFL list?

Dunkley interesting decision if true? Not sure what he adds that you didn’t have with Matho?
Great to see Reville get a go, a story of persistence.
Dunkley would be an interesting decision. He was ok in the VFL but his kicking isn’t AFL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back