2023 Vuelta a España

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem was once they've started the stage they can't exactly stop the others from competing.
Remco was ropeable at the end

3 stages in and the race organisers just keep getting things wrong. Hopefully Remco is fine.

The finish suited him but was still a little surprising just how easy he won that.

Fell asleep before the end of last night. In the end, maybe predictable tactics by JV, but DVB has spent nearly a full day towing the break, Kuss would have done more calories than he would in the bunch, his GC time will be irrelevant at some point, plus Valter. And the end result was their 2 leaders are still behind Remco on GC. The post stage commentary is all about the Jumbo masterclass but the result is not really that great for the effort spent. The GC time gaps now make it impossible to mark everyone in the top 20, and given the profile of stage 8, I'm not sure this is a great outcome.

Fell asleep before the end of last night. In the end, maybe predictable tactics by JV, but DVB has spent nearly a full day towing the break, Kuss would have done more calories than he would in the bunch, his GC time will be irrelevant at some point, plus Valter. And the end result was their 2 leaders are still behind Remco on GC. The post stage commentary is all about the Jumbo masterclass but the result is not really that great for the effort spent. The GC time gaps now make it impossible to mark everyone in the top 20, and given the profile of stage 8, I'm not sure this is a great outcome.
I disagree. I think they absolutely would've taken getting 32 seconds on Remco on a profile that was hard without being super difficult, and the break was big enough that Kuss' day wouldn't have been that much harder than if he was in the pelo.

They also showed Quick Step can't control, and that Remco is suspect when it's attritional.

And they don't need to mark everyone in the top 20. They only care about Remco and Ayuso (and a lesser extent Mas, Almeida and Uijterbroecks). The rest they'll take time off for fun when needed.

I disagree. I think they absolutely would've taken getting 32 seconds on Remco on a profile that was hard without being super difficult, and the break was big enough that Kuss' day wouldn't have been that much harder than if he was in the pelo.

They also showed Quick Step can't control, and that Remco is suspect when it's attritional.

And they don't need to mark everyone in the top 20. They only care about Remco and Ayuso (and a lesser extent Mas, Almeida and Uijterbroecks). The rest they'll take time off for fun when needed.
I daresay they care more about Almeida than Ayuso. Not on the same level yet.

I daresay they care more about Almeida than Ayuso. Not on the same level yet.

Ayuso got a way higher ceiling, beat Almeida last year and has beaten him both climbs this year. Probably has a better TT also.

They closed him very quickly on Arinsal.

Ayuso got a way higher ceiling, beat Almeida last year and has beaten him both climbs this year. Probably has a better TT also.

They closed him very quickly on Arinsal.
Ayuso higher ceiling but Almeida more consistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feels like Jumbo are using Roglic to attack Remco and holding Vingegaard in reserve for week 3 if Roglic can't break him. If they do break him then the pair will probably just take the 1-2 not caring who gets it.

After the ITT things might get a bit clearer. In peak form, which he looks close to, Remco could take nearly a minute on Roglic similar to what he did in last years TT. I'm more interested in seeing Remco V Jonas in a TT like this, don't think it's happened before. Ganna is the only one that could challenge for the stage win. Kuss may hang onto red which adds another dimension, he is largely being ignored as a GC threat but Angrilu and Tourmelet maybe suit him more than Remco and Roglic. Until one of the Bumblebee's has a bad day I guess they just keep going as is.

Apart from a small hill this is a pan flat ITT and the only one this year. Think Remco needs to take at least a minute out of both Rogliç and Vingegaard.

As far as the stage honours go, the two obvious favourites are Evenepoel and Ganna. This course will suit the likes of Sobrero, Cattaneo and Bissegger as well. I think those 5 will be fighting it out.

Roglic should be pretty happy with that.
Think he's the favourite from here. Jumbo have the three pronged attack and he's stronger in the mountains generally than Remco.

Kiss winning the Vuelta after being a domestique for the first two Grand Tours would be wild. The same team winning all three with three different winners would be crazy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back