2023 young talent time

Remove this Banner Ad

I would think WC's future first next year will be 1 - 3. IMO Curtin's not worth that sort of trade, but they must rate him if they were to pull that off. It would suck for them to have a season next year, like they did this year only to have no early pick.

I would think WC's future first next year will be 1 - 3. IMO Curtin's not worth that sort of trade, but they must rate him if they were to pull that off. It would suck for them to have a season next year, like they did this year only to have no early pick.
If theu rate him at 2 anyway then it's fair enough

He probably doesn't even get to GWS so it won't happen anyway

Adding Curtin and Reid this year would certainly sell their supporters some hope, if they rate him higher than any of next year’s prospects why not get an extra year of development into a top 3 pick. Sucks though as I’d love to bring Curtin back home in a couple of years if he heads east.

Adding Curtin and Reid this year would certainly sell their supporters some hope, if they rate him higher than any of next year’s prospects why not get an extra year of development into a top 3 pick. Sucks though as I’d love to bring Curtin back home in a couple of years if he heads east.
Because if he wasn't a West Aussie they wouldn't be doing it.

However it turns out, i hope the eagles dont get him because we should be in his ear to come home if he gets drafted interstate

Our likely options with current 2023 picks:

Freo #34 + #46 - 873 points
GC picks #24, #26 or #27

Freo #34 + #60 + #64 - 789 points
GC picks #26 or #27

Freo #46 + #60 + #64 - 578 points
GC picks #36 or #38

Freo #60 + #64 - 247 points originally
Hawks picks #44, #47 or #49
Dependent on GC live pick trades and bids for Croft and Rogers coming before McCabe.

Depending on how it pans out Freo would end up with:
1x 20’s, 1x 40’s & 1x 60’s pick
or
2x 30’s & 1x 60’s pick

Am I optimistic in thinking we get something else with the pick 20? I realise there is a premium on live trading but that pick is mid 20's on draft night so I'd think we get something on top if we did that.

There is also the premium needed because we'd look like absolute dickheads trading the Pies future 1st for something later than their current first...
F2 back?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right that trading the Pies pick for a worse selection than the #19 offered would look stupid, unless the player we take wasn't sure to slip. I would expect a media piece released shortly after saying we rated "player" as a top ten pick and didn't expect him to slip that far.

This is exactly what is going to happen. Dockers list management 101:

1. Select player obtained via trade that makes absolutely no sense.
2. Release above suggested media statement.
3. Said player has injury, drug problem or just isn’t very good and plays no more than 10 games.
4. Terrible trade decision never mentioned by club again.
5. Club starts searching for next player they have to give away draft capital for.

My gut feeling currently is:
F1 (Coll or Port) + F2 (Saints) for Crows pick #20.
Or
F1 (Freo) for North pick #17 or #18.

This is exactly what is going to happen. Dockers list management 101:

1. Select player obtained via trade that makes absolutely no sense.
2. Release above suggested media statement.
3. Said player has injury, drug problem or just isn’t very good and plays no more than 10 games.
4. Terrible trade decision never mentioned by club again.
5. Club starts searching for next player they have to give away draft capital for.

My gut feeling currently is:
F1 (Coll or Port) + F2 (Saints) for Crows pick #20.
Or
F1 (Freo) for North pick #17 or #18.
Are you missing something in this one:
“F1 (Coll or Port) + F2 (Saints) for Crows pick #20.”

A first and second for pick 20?? WTF

Looks highly likely North will trade those two picks with Sydney’s 12.

End up being 15>22,23

Honestly I feel we will do one of following:
34,46 > 26; or
46,60,63> 36

If Eagles do infact trade a future first for Curtain. How much would it suck if they are given a Priority Assistance Package next year

Are you missing something in this one:
“F1 (Coll or Port) + F2 (Saints) for Crows pick #20.”

A first and second for pick 20?? WTF

Looks highly likely North will trade those two picks with Sydney’s 12.

End up being 15>22,23

Honestly I feel we will do one of following:
34,46 > 26; or
46,60,63> 36

WTF is exactly what I am expecting the club to do.

Not saying it’s a good trade but preparing myself for some absolutely dumb Dockery **** that is justified by a press conference saying we just had to get player X…

I'd do two future firsts for Curtin

I'm Backing Treacy to develop rather than two for MacDonald

But I'm also comfortable with trading back in for Collard this year and going for a big fish - MacDonald or otherwise next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Curtin rather than MacDonald?

That would be a brave gambit.

If the club sees things as you do I agree.

Love how Curtin’s value is now rising to two future firsts 😜 … Curtin talk is only because he is a WA kid and vic clubs want to secure Reid. We have a very similar Chapman but doesn’t have 3 years development behind him.

Reid will be in an Eagles jumper this week. Reckon he’s a Judd/Hodge/Martin category game changer. Ginbey, Hewitt, Reid is a pretty impressive midfield group. I’d be happy to exchange our 3x future firsts for him , fwiw eagles wouldn’t take it.

Our likely options with current 2023 picks:

Freo #34 + #46 - 873 points
GC picks #24, #26 or #27

Freo #34 + #60 + #64 - 789 points
GC picks #26 or #27

Freo #46 + #60 + #64 - 578 points
GC picks #36 or #38

Freo #60 + #64 - 247 points originally
Hawks picks #44, #47 or #49
Dependent on GC live pick trades and bids for Croft and Rogers coming before McCabe.

Depending on how it pans out Freo would end up with:
1x 20’s, 1x 40’s & 1x 60’s pick
or
2x 30’s & 1x 60’s pick
Based on the group think of bids, it means if we get 27, there's likely to be 5 bids (Walter, Read, Rogers, McCabe, Graham), so 27 moves to 30 (net the two picks GC uses for Walter 24, 26 ), possibly worse if Cleary is bid by pick 30.

So we could end up with:

30, 51, 52, 59 (last two were our 60, 64, 85 that come in lots with bids and passes)

or if we don't trade, then: ~

37, 45, 51, 52, 59

Fremantle has collateral to make an impact at AFL Draft - including a possible swoop for lifelong Dockers fan Daniel Curtin​

West Coast has attracted most WA headlines ahead of the AFL draft but Fremantle could be poised to make a massive strike, writes MARK DUFFIELD.

4 min read
November 18, 2023 - 9:00AM

Daniel Curtin is a top-10 prospect. Picture: Getty Images

Daniel Curtin is a top-10 prospect. Picture: Getty Images

Fremantle has a gun locked and loaded for the 2024 draft and trade period in the form of three first round picks, two from other clubs.
The only question the Dockers will ask themselves on draft night, depending on how things unfold, is whether they should fire a shot off early.
So much chatter west of the Nullarbor this year has centred on whether the Eagles, with number one pick in hand and Harley Reid in their sights, would give up that pick and that player for multiple picks.
Then, more recently and probably more sensibly, talk has turned to whether the Eagles would be willing to cash in their own 2024 first round pick to trade up this year and get to local star-in-waiting Daniel Curtin if he slides far enough.

Daniel Curtin is hot property in the 2023 draft. Picture: Getty Images

Daniel Curtin is hot property in the 2023 draft. Picture: Getty Images

The Dockers have sat quietly in the background while all this played out.
The assumption has been that the acquisition of Port Adelaide’s first pick next year, then Collingwood’s when Lachie Schultz asked to be traded, meant Fremantle would be looking to make a big play for a star coming out of contract in 2024 - probably a West Australian - which has put Sydney’s Logan McDonald firmly in the crosshairs.
It’s a fair enough plan if that is where they are aiming.
The club restructured its football department and split the manager’s role between Peter Bell and Joe Brierty, with Brierty to assume more control of the operations side of the department and Bell to look at other projects and strategy.

The Dockers have come to realise that player acquisition and retention is not necessarily a year-to-year thing but a longer term play; that bringing players in requires more than a year’s planning and strategising and so does retaining them.
So, come draft night, the Dockers might just sit quietly and wait their turn for a second round pick which is at 34 in the indicative draft order now, but may drop at around pick 40 once bids are made and matched for Academy and father-son picks further up the order knowing that richer rewards await next year.
The Dockers would love their NGA ruck product Mitch Edwards to get that far so they could match a bid for him but the odds are that he won’t.
It is understood that they like Subiaco’s small forward Lance Collard and they need to replace Schultz but Collard won’t last that long either and he is West Coast’s NGA product, so even if he gets to pick 40 the Eagles can match the bid and take him.
The Dockers have always been happy to draft from interstate so it is hard to predict who they would take.
Of the locals, Perth speedster Aiden O’Driscoll, the younger brother of Dockers Nathan and Emma, might get that far. So might Claremont’s athletic big man Zane Zakostelsky, best afield in the WAFL Colts grand final.

They would be familiar with the assets of Peel pair Clay Hall and Reece Torrent, who both played senior football alongside their listed players in the WAFL this year. East Fremantle’s Koen Sanchez or Claremont rebounder Joe Fonti would be other local boys who might be around at that point in the draft.
But should the Dockers just be sitting quietly?
If it is possible for West Coast to trade up to get to Curtin using next year’s draft collateral it is just as possible for Fremantle to. Perhaps more so.
Even if reigning premier Collingwood and finalist Port Adelaide were to finish first and second next year, the AFL draft points index would put the combined value of those two picks the Dockers currently hold at somewhere between pick four and five.
And that would still leave the Dockers with their own first rounder next year. If the Dockers were prepared to trade their own 2024 first rounder - and another club was prepared to punt on Freo finishing no higher than eighth - then the value of trading that pick with either one of the Port or Collingwood picks thrown in would be closer to somewhere between pick two and pick three.
It would make trading for a player like McDonald very difficult - but it might be very difficult anyway.

The two-team town factor comes into play when trying to lure WA players home. Once a WA club has declared its want to land a player, the worst case scenario appears to be being beaten by the cross town rival for his services.
Geelong were able to bid Tim Kelly’s price up at the trade table and West Coast had to pay top contract dollar for him and multiple first round picks even though he was never going to Fremantle and was happy to tell people that.
Fremantle were able to escape the bidding war with Luke Jackson because paying two draft picks for one player was never going to be in West Coast’s interests at the tough end of a significant rebuild.
But it might be a different scenario for the Eagles next year if they improve and if Harley Reid, Elijah Hewett, Reuben Ginbey, Oscar Allen and co all look like forming the nucleus of a competitive team going forward.
The philosophy behind the Eagles trying to trade up to get Curtin is simple: if you are going to bring elite talent in in a rebuild you might as well do it a year earlier.
If they have Curtin in the top three of their draft pecking order it is not even a gamble - it is in their best interests. They are clearly trying to do it and the only question is whether Curtin falls far enough for them to find a trading partner come draft night.

If Fremantle hold Curtin in the same high regard - and he barracked for them growing up - the same philosophy applies to them.
Home grown talent: easier to keep than an East Coast kid and less pressure on the salary cap than bringing in someone you have to outbid West Coast for.
West Coast should not be the only WA club making phone calls if Curtin gets past pick five on Monday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back