2023 young talent time

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sick of picking Vic kids, that come and go. With our pathetic draft hand I'd be staying in WA, or maybe SA
Have we lost more Victorians or WA boys the last 3-4 years.

Up until 2022 we hadn't lost a player drafted from Vic Country in nearly 20 years. Those two players were Tucker and Meek who weren't best 22.

Have we lost more Victorians or WA boys the last 3-4 years.

Up until 2022 we hadn't lost a player drafted from Vic Country in nearly 20 years. Those two players were Tucker and Meek who weren't best 22.
Depends if you count Lobb, acres and B Hill as WA players or not, all had spent time over east before we “brought them home” all are managed by colon Young.

He also says we may look at Patrick Voss as a train on player during the SSP period, sometimes I think he is just guessing with freo news.
I don't get the feeling Twomey is just guessing tbh. Patrick Voss is far too random to not be legitimate imo. Can't see him pulling that from nowhere.

The majority of Twomeys info regarding Freo would be from player managers, junior/state league clubs and other AFL clubs (who'd be trying to guess what we're doing). Freo themselves would give him nothing.

Don't feel sorry for the guy as I reckon he's in the minority that genuinely loves the job he does but one pick out of place early makes him look like he knows **** all. In reality I'm not sure anyone in Australia is better than him at what he does though.

Depends if you count Lobb, acres and B Hill as WA players or not, all had spent time over east before we “brought them home” all are managed by colon Young.
Doesn't really matter.

Our record of retaining Vic Country players is actually pretty bloody good - at least equal to retaining WA players.

Vic Metro is very different but we actually draft **** all players from Vic Metro in the first place.

I see Schoenmaker doesn’t crack the Twomey top 30. I am very big on this kid. He’s got a hoof and just reeks “footballer”.

Getting on the squirt and getting a club suspension is all good, as far as I am concerned. For some blokes.

Melbourne recruiters watched Martin Pike break into his own house for their interview with him. Then watched him hurriedly clear the beer cans off the coffee table when they finally got inside.

Dude has more premiership medallions than he can probably safely count.

Because he reeked “footballer”

Old mate Schoenmaker has what it takes.

Get him in, Wallsy. Do the ******* Dockery thing for once in your careful life.

Go on. Hit rewind on one of his 60-metre lobs off a very lazy step. Just watch it again and think about rapid transition from the half back line. BOOF

Jesus, Wallsy. He’s done it again. Sent the campaigner into space.

Pretty sick of picking Vic kids, that come and go. With our pathetic draft hand I'd be staying in WA, or maybe SA
So you are sick of drafting Brayshaw, Serong, Young, Ryan, Darcy, Switta, etc?
We have seen the folly of drafting WA only players as a draft strategy. It’s dumb as * that’s why neither us of the eagles do it.

Doesn't really matter.

Our record of retaining Vic Country players is actually pretty bloody good - at least equal to retaining WA players.

Vic Metro is very different but we actually draft **** all players from Vic Metro in the first place.
Where a player is from should really not come into play unless it’s a very line ball call.
It’s about 99th on the list of top 100 things to consider when selecting a draftee. We are already at enough disadvantage from the AFL without self imposing another condition on ourselves that the rest of the comp doesn’t have to abide by.
I reckon we have more Melbourne metro than people realise in recent times.
Brayshaw
Cerra
Switkowski
Ryan
Sturt (he’s from Mornington it’s not country vic it’s an affluent Melbourne outer suburb in reality)
Young (same as Sturt)
Then you had guys like Duman, Bewley, worner from vic metro that were rookie listed in recent seasons too.

It’s not a huge number but it’s not insignificant. The simple fact is we need access to these players, end of. We can’t cut ourselves off from them in favour of guys like Liam Henry, who could not have had a more perfect pre draft profile to be a lifer at freo (country WA boy, indigenous, loved hunting and fishing and family) yet still left for the saints

Not sure how I feel about there being no link between us and Collard on Twomeys final phantom. His last effort is usually pretty spot on, but he doesn't have a great history with us in recent years, so it could go either way.

He's on the money for 90% of the first 12 or so usually. After that I reckon he'd be lucky to be 50-50. Not his fault, the boards of each clubs would be radically different after the top end.

Surely walls and the lads have a plan to get back in, don’t need 3 picks next year.

Our ITKs reckon there are players we might try for, but we didn't go to all the effort of getting F1s to give them away for picks worth less. Remember, we had to give up on pick 19 and pick 23 (the Logue pick) to get those F1s.

If we really wanted this draft, we'd have at least one of those picks left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's on the money for 90% of the first 12 or so usually. After that I reckon he'd be lucky to be 50-50. Not his fault, the boards of each clubs would be radically different after the top end.

Our ITKs reckon there are players we might try for, but we didn't go to all the effort of getting F1s to give them away for picks worth less. Remember, we had to give up on pick 19 and pick 23 (the Logue pick) to get those F1s.

If we really wanted this draft, we'd have at least one of those picks left.
will depend on their target order if someone slides back i think theyll trade.

freo were worried of the vaule of 23 & 19 ending up being well in the 20's.

with these furture picks clubs might see it as more vaule if curtin or Collard are their in the teens would be hard not seeing them atleast try to get back in.

This is exactly what is going to happen. Dockers list management 101:

1. Select player obtained via trade that makes absolutely no sense.
2. Release above suggested media statement.
3. Said player has injury, drug problem or just isn’t very good and plays no more than 10 games.
4. Terrible trade decision never mentioned by club again.
5. Club starts searching for next player they have to give away draft capital for.

My gut feeling currently is:
F1 (Coll or Port) + F2 (Saints) for Crows pick #20.
Or
F1 (Freo) for North pick #17 or #18.
This is fairly specific lol, when has something this calamitous happened off the back of live trading... for well anyone across the clubs? (Stocker for Carlton and Sharp for Gold Coast maybe?)

Happy to be corrected, but got any examples? Freo's drafting has been good for awhile, that hasn't been a problem. There's other problems yes, but it isn't the drafting.

will depend on their target order if someone slides back i think theyll trade.

freo were worried of the vaule of 23 & 19 ending up being well in the 20's.

with these furture picks clubs might see it as more vaule if curtin or Collard are their in the teens would be hard not seeing them atleast try to get back in.
I don't think we'd be seriously considering Curtin at all. Especially not if McD or other KPFs/A graders are realistic targets for next year. The Curtin fascination is textbook Freo fans salivating over the WA prospect.

Collard who knows, but nobody is convincing me the plan was to ask for an F1 instead of 19 to just use an F1 to get back a pick after 19 (wherever it falls).

When Clarko built Hawthorn he built it around Buddy and Roughead. He likes talls and Norths have one. Larkey.

I am happy to be wrong but really don’t think Curtin falls past either of those clubs.
Isn't the whole idea of Curtin being highly rated that he is a midfielder more than a key defender?

Isn't the whole idea of Curtin being highly rated that he is a midfielder more than a key defender?

I think the whole reason Curtin isn’t a lock for North or Hawthorn is because teams are of the belief he’s more of an intercepting third tall - potentially a very good one like a McGovern or Sicily. But not a true KPP or mid.

I think the whole reason Curtin isn’t a lock for North or Hawthorn is because teams are of the belief he’s more of an intercepting third tall - potentially a very good one like a McGovern or Sicily. But not a true KPP or mid.
Ah that makes sense then. They only game I've seen of his was the Colts grand final.

This is fairly specific lol, when has something this calamitous happened off the back of live trading... for well anyone across the clubs? (Stocker for Carlton and Sharp for Gold Coast maybe?)

Happy to be corrected, but got any examples? Freo's drafting has been good for awhile, that hasn't been a problem. There's other problems yes, but it isn't the drafting.
Pies traded pick 2 for a couple picks in the 20s

How funny will it be if North, after being gifted extra picks, piss one in the wind by selecting Collard.

There will be numerous "Collard granted personal leave" articles throughout the year.

I don't think we'd be seriously considering Curtin at all. Especially not if McD or other KPFs/A graders are realistic targets for next year. The Curtin fascination is textbook Freo fans salivating over the WA prospect.

Collard who knows, but nobody is convincing me the plan was to ask for an F1 instead of 19 to just use an F1 to get back a pick after 19 (wherever it falls).
I just dont see Mcdonld leaving the swans

I think because not as many FS or northern academy next they could use one of next years firsts to get back into the teens.

I honestly dont have any idea what Wallsy is thinking but i hope if they like curtin or Collard they have a dip. Mark Duffield write a good article yesterday about freo going for curtin

IMG_9292.png IMG_9293.png IMG_9294.png

When Clarko built Hawthorn he built it around Buddy and Roughead. He likes talls and Norths have one. Larkey.

I am happy to be wrong but really don’t think Curtin falls past either of those clubs.

Best case scenario. then Walls will be in his ear for a few years convincing him to come home.

Imagine the melts in the media if we get Mcdonald to come home next year and then a few years after we get Curtin too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back