Draft Expert 2023 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris - who do you think Freo will be looking at in the 22-26 range?

Also..what do you think we will get for Henry?

I imagine we'll look local for starters - Riley Hardeman, Koen Sanchez, Kolstyn Tholstrup and Clay Hall would be ones around there.

But in terms of positional need, most will probably agree it's the wing spot we need to fix. It's looking as though Caleb Windsor is off the board, but I'd be all over Joel Freijah if he was available. I rate him much higher than the consensus and I think he best suits what we seem to want in the position in terms of size. Otherwise, I think there's a number of half backs we'd be interested in - with the view of Young becoming a full time mid and Chapman potentially being the long term winger. Riley Hardeman, James Leake, Arie Schoenmaker, Angus Hastie for example.

As for Henry, who knows. I suspect it'll end up being a late second rounder, 30-35 maybe. I'd like more, but I'm also not hugely bothered by him leaving. I don't think he suits what we ideally want in a wing, it was more weight of numbers that led him to keeping the spot. But his impact didn't really match the stats sheet, and his kicking tends to be prettier than it is effective. The most impact he had was working back into the defensive 50, but I'd like to think that's something we can find elsewhere.

Not that anyone has been asking, but yes I'm still here.

And I'm back for another year, just a bit later than usual. Back to bring more quality calls like Nick Daicos will be a better player when he's winning his own ball and delivering it inside 50, not running around the back half looking for cheap touches. Or that Finn Maginness was a first round talent. I guess one of them proved true on the weekend at least...

Anywhere, here's my board. Complete with a hint of SA bias...

Tasmania Devils have been very good to watch this year. Do you think any other players apart from the main 4 you have mentioned can go late in the
draft ?
I like the look of Beau Nash , Geordie Payne and Heath Ollington ? All have been super for Tasmania. Thoughts ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tasmania Devils have been very good to watch this year. Do you think any other players apart from the main 4 you have mentioned can go late in the
draft ?
I like the look of Beau Nash , Geordie Payne and Heath Ollington ? All have been super for Tasmania. Thoughts ?

What are your thoughts on these 3?

Nash is a super consistent classy mid that doesn’t mind the grunt work

Payne is a intercepting back man that can play on small or tall

Ollington is a strong body forward who can also shutdown opponents if need be

Yes, i agree that them three have been super for Tasmania, especially Payne and Nash didn't make allies. Do you think they deserved to get in?

Just a small update to my draft board - Duursma going up, I'm still not as sold on him as others but it's hard to argue with his end to the season. George Stevens also forced his way in, I like him better as a mid than a half back.

And it's nice to see Lance Collard getting some attention. I've been higher on him than most - he's the most purely talented of all the WA guys and his last few weeks have been as good as any.

Chris25

Adam D'Aolia? Kobe Ryan? any other SANFL guys worth a look?

Kobe is the standout. I think he should get a go, but really who knows. There won't be a lot of picks this year, so he could fall to the side again but he'd well worth a rookie spot. He'll get a go eventually.

Maybe teams are still looking around Noah Casilini, we'll see as it gets closer to the draft. I certainly didn't pick Coulthard and Hardie being selected.

I love your left field views Chris, who is someone BigFooty rates that you don't?

I don't think there's necessarily anyone who I don't rate that others do, outside of the top 10 it's pretty even. I do have questions over quite a few, even the ones I rate highly.

Maybe the one I rate lower than others is Jordan Croft. There's been glimpses of his talent, but nothing I'd be using a first round pick on. I also have no idea why the Bulldogs would even consider matching a first round pick. Another 200cm forward seems the last thing they need, especially when they should be competing for finals and Croft would be years away. And if you move Darcy back, why did you draft Busslinger last year. I also don't know why Croft would want it either.

Otherwise, I have questions over Curtin and what exactly he is at the top level - he's a talent and will no doubt find a spot, but I'm probably thinking it's as more of a #2 or #3 key defender as opposed to a full back or even a midfielder. If I wanted a true full back, I'd be more comfortable with Ollie Murphy over Curtin and also Connor O'Sullivan.

Archer Reid is one who gets projected high because of his athleticism and height, it's easy to see why a team would take him early in the second round. Maybe he puts it all together, but it'd be a full round earlier than his performances would dictate for me.

It's more that there's a bunch of guys that I rate higher than others this year - Joel Freijah, Angus Hastie, Lance Collard, Ashton Moir.

Chris being an avid SA footy supporter what are the chances Harry Grant this years Magarey Medalist gets picked up? He is 22yo a small mid, but he appears to have won every award possible in the SANFL this year, surely clubs are having a look at him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there's necessarily anyone who I don't rate that others do, outside of the top 10 it's pretty even. I do have questions over quite a few, even the ones I rate highly.

Maybe the one I rate lower than others is Jordan Croft. There's been glimpses of his talent, but nothing I'd be using a first round pick on. I also have no idea why the Bulldogs would even consider matching a first round pick. Another 200cm forward seems the last thing they need, especially when they should be competing for finals and Croft would be years away. And if you move Darcy back, why did you draft Busslinger last year. I also don't know why Croft would want it either.

Otherwise, I have questions over Curtin and what exactly he is at the top level - he's a talent and will no doubt find a spot, but I'm probably thinking it's as more of a #2 or #3 key defender as opposed to a full back or even a midfielder. If I wanted a true full back, I'd be more comfortable with Ollie Murphy over Curtin and also Connor O'Sullivan.

Archer Reid is one who gets projected high because of his athleticism and height, it's easy to see why a team would take him early in the second round. Maybe he puts it all together, but it'd be a full round earlier than his performances would dictate for me.

It's more that there's a bunch of guys that I rate higher than others this year - Joel Freijah, Angus Hastie, Lance Collard, Ashton Moir.
I don't get the Jordan Croft love either, id be going hard for Jamara or Busslinger if they do go for Croft. But as you say, not another KPP. HE could play KPD though?

Hey Willo

I don't think he has like you i have never seen him use his left foot
And I have watched most of his colts games

Not that this is your thread but one of the players I am most impressed with from WA is Zane Zakostelsky (Claremont).

I've not seen nearly as much as yourself, but this kid looks solid and once he gets to settle on a position, unlike his hybrid role at 18's level, I think he could be next level good.

Your thoughts?

Not that this is your thread but one of the players I am most impressed with from WA is Zane Zakostelsky (Claremont).

I've not seen nearly as much as yourself, but this kid looks solid and once he gets to settle on a position, unlike his hybrid role at 18's level, I think he could be next level good.

Your thoughts?
I love him
His physicality and athletic abilities give him a lot to work with
Reminds me a a young Glen Jakovich
He will be a very good CHB he has levels

Could you see Croft in the backline? I really think that’s what we have in mind for him with his athleticism/closing speed & reach. We’re still desperate for good key defenders. Darcy will stay forward and replace Lobb leaving us with just 33yo Jones, O’Donnell & Buss so definitely room for another tall.

Either that or Naughty eventually goes back to CHB and maybe Croft takes his spot at CHF in a few years. Either way there’s a spot somewhere IMO and the move for pick 4 gives us a bigger need there (although it definitely was costly)

Chris being an avid SA footy supporter what are the chances Harry Grant this years Magarey Medalist gets picked up? He is 22yo a small mid, but he appears to have won every award possible in the SANFL this year, surely clubs are having a look at him?

Couldn't have done much more, but he is very small. So who knows. I've wanted to see Tom Lewis from Sturt get a go for a few years now, but it tends to be the flankers that get picked up from the SANFL. Grant and Lewis both haven't really showed the versatility that the small guys need to to get a chance - even though that's only because they're so dominant in their midfield roles.

Could you see Croft in the backline? I really think that’s what we have in mind for him with his athleticism/closing speed & reach. We’re still desperate for good key defenders. Darcy will stay forward and replace Lobb leaving us with just 33yo Jones, O’Donnell & Buss so definitely room for another tall.

Either that or Naughty eventually goes back to CHB and maybe Croft takes his spot at CHF in a few years. Either way there’s a spot somewhere IMO and the move for pick 4 gives us a bigger need there (although it definitely was costly)

I'm sure he could play in the backline, the athletic tall guys can be developed anywhere - just as a side note, I did prefer Darcy as a defender in his draft year. But it will likely still be a good few years until Croft is ready, at which time Bontempelli will be in his 30s and Liberatore likely retired. Always good to plan for the future, I just wonder if they could have done more to win now and capitalise on their star players in their primes...

Getting a top 5 pick in before of a Croft bid definitely helps though.

Ashton Moir at our first pick if he’s available and we don’t trade up what do you think?

I've commented heaps previously on Moir but a new thought related to your question: Moir is as agile as a cat (now demonstrated as a Top 10 agility run) and (probably due to his basketball background) can move through traffic like it is nothing and also owns a 60m laser kick on each foot. Also a decent size at 189cm. His weak attributes appear to include burst speed and endurance and tackling. So basically he is a "Pendlebury / Mundy" type in terms of basic attributes, so I can see the team that wants him seeing his best positions as either an offensive centre midfielder or as a distributor off half back - do we want either of those? Or do we need a small zippy forward more?

As to the other question, I am in two minds about the trading up question; on one hand I reckon in this draft a player at pick 20 and a player at pick 38 comes with a very similar risk/reward profile, so basically in that sense you are wasting first round potential for not much gain. But next years draft looks weak and compromised (and especially weak on WA talent) so the best value for those picks looks more like throwing them at Logan MacDonald or whomever we are targeting trade wise, followed by using them to re-enter this draft.

Having said that, I think there is enough evidence to suggest we will "no deal" on next year's hand.

Ashton Moir at our first pick if he’s available and we don’t trade up what do you think?

I’m probably his biggest fan left on here so I’d be all for him getting him to the club. Seems a 30-50 pick at the moment.

…so I can see the team that wants him seeing his best positions as either an offensive centre midfielder…

I think long term, there would be hopes of Moir being able to rotate through the midfield as an impact player. But it’s not why I’d be drafting him.

I have no stats to back this up, but generally speaking I don’t think production and ball winning is something that is learned. Moir is a 10-15 touches a game player. I don’t think that changes simply by putting him in the midfield. Some players just aren’t natural ball winners.

But Moir’s 10-15 touches can win a match. He could not touch it for three quarters, then kick 4 goals in the last to win it. Very few players in this draft have that ability.

…or as a distributor off half back - do we want either of those?

I can see teams trying this with Moir to get him involved. Half back is the easiest position for a young player to come into. But I’d still let him find his feet up forward first.

Side note, I’m of the opinion that Fremantle absolutely need a half back in this draft - even if that maybe doesn’t seem shared by the club. Young needs to be in the midfield mix next year and I’d have Chapman starting on a wing. That doesn’t leave many options outside of Clark and Wagner.

I’d love someone like Angus Hastie to be available at our pick. Otherwise some late value in Will Patton or go mature aged with Mutaz El Nour.

I’m probably his biggest fan left on here so I’d be all for him getting him to the club. Seems a 30-50 pick at the moment.

I think long term, there would be hopes of Moir being able to rotate through the midfield as an impact player. But it’s not why I’d be drafting him.

I have no stats to back this up, but generally speaking I don’t think production and ball winning is something that is learned. Moir is a 10-15 touches a game player. I don’t think that changes simply by putting him in the midfield. Some players just aren’t natural ball winners.

But Moir’s 10-15 touches can win a match. He could not touch it for three quarters, then kick 4 goals in the last to win it. Very few players in this draft have that ability.

I can see teams trying this with Moir to get him involved. Half back is the easiest position for a young player to come into. But I’d still let him find his feet up forward first.

Side note, I’m of the opinion that Fremantle absolutely need a half back in this draft - even if that maybe doesn’t seem shared by the club. Young needs to be in the midfield mix next year and I’d have Chapman starting on a wing. That doesn’t leave many options outside of Clark and Wagner.

I’d love someone like Angus Hastie to be available at our pick. Otherwise some late value in Will Patton or go mature aged with Mutaz El Nour.
I totally agree on the need for another half back - whether you look at it from the perspective that Young and/or Chapman move (given Chapman's run with injury I would leave him at hbf for at least one more season, but Young was much more effective in the centre) or even just look at it from general list totals I think it makes sense to get another. Would you consider Shoenmaker if he is available at our second pick? I reckon Joe Fonti and Reece Torrent could also figure into that flanker kind of equation at the rookie level.

I get what you are saying about leaving Moir forward (and I reckon you could have even argued that he makes sense on paper as an eventual Walters replacement), but I also reckon it might be a brave club to do that at AFL level with the defensive expectations that clubs typically have for their small forwards (West Coast may be an exception) - he might be left forward at the VFL/SANFL/WAFL level for some time period. Henry is gone and I am still not sure that we developed him in the right way (despite him being up for becoming a wingman), without even touching on how someone like Moir would go at our club. I can hear Longmuir saying "he is a long term project" before they have even finished reading his name out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back