2024 Academy Spotlight - Leonardo Lombard (Broadbeach/Burleigh)

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

The next exciting prospect coming through our academy program announced himself to the football world on the national stage in 2022 with selection in the U16 All-Australian team. Leo is a Burleigh junior who has developed in leaps and bounds over the last 12 months by taking place in the victorious U18 Allies program as a bottom ager, Broadbeach's QAFL season and even taking part in our VFL program that will hopefully end in a premiership medallion. Lombard is an explosive athlete that possesses elite strength and speed but also shows signs of composure most commonly found well beyond his age. For those who don't know, Leo's father is a famous Cuban UFC fighter named Hector which probably explains his genetic gift but make no mistake this is a very talented footballer. There are already indications that Leo is considered a top 10 prospect in the 2024 draft class so it'll be an interest watch over the next 12 months.

Leonardo Lombard
Height: 178cm
Weight: 76kg
Position: Midfielder
Junior Club: Broadbeach (QAFL) / Burleigh (QFA)

nH7rTbj.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have an actual academy thread so the individual threads for players makes no sense 🥴🥴

I don't mind the individual threads.

It'll go gangbusters for 2025.

It's just my initial confusion thinking this was the Nancarrow thread.

I don't mind the individual threads.

It'll go gangbusters for 2025.

It's just my initial confusion thinking this was the Nancarrow thread.
The OP initially focused mostly on Nancarrow with a reference to both he and Lombard being our standouts after being named in the U16 AA team last year, but 12 months later it's become more obvious that Leo is developing at a quicker rate than Nanc and is now on the verge of becoming a VFL premiership player at 16 years of age. I still think we probably draft Nancarrow but Lombard is the one being talked about as a potential top 10 pick right now. I'm sure we'll hear plenty about Lombard and Nancarrow next year anyway because both should play together in both the academy series as well as the defending champion Allies team. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Nancarrow end up playing several VFL games for us next year when we're playing away games in Victoria. The two will have some synergy after playing with each other so much and I'm envisioning Lombard winning the ball in the midfield, using his elite speed to get space on his opponents before hitting a leaping Nancarrow lace out at full forward and of course Nanc kicks truly for a major.

For those who don't know, Leo Lombard and Jake Rogers are/were a part of the Varsity College's AFL ASPIRE excellence program and I reckon the school deserves some credit for only recently introducing an AFL excellence program that has helped in producing two top 10 male picks over the next 12 months as well as some very good AFLW players in Havanna Harris and Sienna MccMullen.

Tj8tb1A.jpg

Last edited:
Slightly off topic but, incredibly, Leo's father (Hector) is STILL fighting at the professional level in MMA at 45 years of age and had his most recent pro fight in November. Bit of a silly stoppage considering Hector was clearly winning the fight / his opponent was tapping but I suspect we'll see him fighting again in 2024 as you wouldn't want your career to end like that. To put in perspective, this guy competed in the Judo competition at 2000 Sydney Olympics and here he is 24 years later still competing professionally. That's some serious longevity and genetics definitely plays a part in that so hopefully that means Leo is going to have a long and successful career for us!

The Suns board needs to crowdfund a blue headband for Leonardo to wear, he already plays like a Teenage Ninja.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back