Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Kade Herbert will be getting pretty close I would think when the SANFL season starts next week. very impressive for the WWT Eagles in the preseason trial games and showed plenty in his handful of SANFL League games last season
9 possies and a goal Rd 1 for Herbert.

Does anyone know if the VM & VC trial match dates been announced yet? They must be coming up in the next month or so.

I know this draft, from a long way out, has been identified as a midfield dominant draft, but I’m really bullish on the KP prospects. Plenty of 193+cm that will be on clubs radars.

Think there are some really talented prospects at both ends of the ground, and I’m sure there will be more that are unearthed over the next few months.

A few names to keep an eye on (noting it’s Vic focused):

Jonty Faull
Harry O’Farrell
Jobe Shanahan
Luke Trainor
Jack Whitlock
Matt Whitlock
Zac McInnes
Noah Mraz
Harry Armstrong
Thomas Simms
James Barrat

What are the KP prospects out of SA and WA like this year? Any names to keep an eye on?

I know this draft, from a long way out, has been identified as a midfield dominant draft, but I’m really bullish on the KP prospects. Plenty of 193+cm that will be on clubs radars.

Think there are some really talented prospects at both ends of the ground, and I’m sure there will be more that are unearthed over the next few months.

A few names to keep an eye on (noting it’s Vic focused):

Jonty Faull
Harry O’Farrell
Jobe Shanahan
Luke Trainor
Jack Whitlock
Matt Whitlock
Zac McInnes
Noah Mraz
Harry Armstrong
Thomas Simms
James Barrat

What are the KP prospects out of SA and WA like this year? Any names to keep an eye on?
O'Farrell has started off strongly this year. I could definitely see him going to a club that needs key defenders. Would be a chance of going top 10.

he's a defender not a ruck though.
Prob find more rucks in MSD I would expect.
That will become more common. A ruck is a position that is hard to perform in at 18-21 when the body is still developing. Occasionally, you’ll find a Luke Jackson sort but they’re rare. More often than not, it takes 2-3 years to work out and even then, it often doesn’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last year was probably the best year for rucks in about 10 years.

Most sides had a chance at adding a top prospect as there was about 5 of them.

No excuses really.
Except the free hits that took the two best

I assume you mean Read and Goad?

There was plenty of opportunity to get Goad, as well as Green if you wanted an elite prospect.

Then Geelong landed Edwards at 32.

All of Green, Goad and Edwards would easily be the best ruck in this class.

Totally agree last year was the best draft class for rucks in ten years at least

That will become more common. A ruck is a position that is hard to perform in at 18-21 when the body is still developing. Occasionally, you’ll find a Luke Jackson sort but they’re rare. More often than not, it takes 2-3 years to work out and even then, it often doesn’t.

I remember Tom Hickey talking at an academy day asking kids what position they wanted to play. Midfield, midfield, midfield were the answers. He then said (paraphrasing a bit here) 'let me give you a piece of advice, be a ruck, you'll have a longer career. A midfielder gets 2 or 3 years to prove they can, a ruck gets 7 or 8 to prove they can't'

Watched the Gippsland game over the weekend has anyone got an idea of what Asher easthams stocks are and if he is likely to get picked up or not ?

I remember Tom Hickey talking at an academy day asking kids what position they wanted to play. Midfield, midfield, midfield were the answers. He then said (paraphrasing a bit here) 'let me give you a piece of advice, be a ruck, you'll have a longer career. A midfielder gets 2 or 3 years to prove they can, a ruck gets 7 or 8 to prove they can't'
Did he teach them all how to grow an extra 10-20cm? Not particularly useful information if you're going to be 180cm tall.

The kids were 10 or 11 years old, plenty of growing still to do
Right, but if they are going to grow to be 200cm+, they likely won't ever be a midfielder and will most likely have to play KPP. Or be a midfielder when young who becomes a KPP after the growth spurt (English).

If they aren't going to grow to 200cm+ it doesn't matter how many motivational speeches they get, they're not going to be ruckman.

Zaydyn Lockwood - Bendigo 198cm KPD, great spoil, i think he has real potential.
You know for all the talk on mids this year, good grief, there is some exciting key forwards and defenders that could rocket up the draft order and while its crazy early, don't be surprised if two or three of them come charging at that top ten!

Zaydyn Lockwood - Bendigo 198cm KPD, great spoil, i think he has real potential.
Was BOG last week. Got to chat to him at half time.
He'd devised a sound strategy to combat Whitlock on the basis of watching his round 1 game and playing on him during the pre-season.
Gave Jack no space and completely nullified his marking ability in doing so. Thankfully he had the tank to keep with Jack.
Zaydyn Lockwood 1.jpg
Zaydyn Lockwood 2.jpg
Zaydyn Lockwood 3.jpg

Was BOG last week. Got to chat to him at half time.
He'd devised a sound strategy to combat Whitlock on the basis of watching his round 1 game and playing on him during the pre-season.
Gave Jack no space and completely nullified his marking ability in doing so. Thankfully he had the tank to keep with Jack.
View attachment 1951780
View attachment 1951781
View attachment 1951782
i like how he went hard in the aerial contest and spoil, did a great job on Jack as well so a good scalp, but yea, i need to see more, but he seems an exciting prospect for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back