Player Watch 2024 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rules as every other year.

This isn’t the thread to talk about your ladder predictions or declarations of how interested you are in the draft in response to a win/loss, nor is it the thread to declare who you want to trade for.
Those posts will be deleted.

Talk about the kids in the draft.

I noticed Smillie was training with us this pre-season. Anyone know why Christian Moraes isn't also with us? If memory serves me right, I thought he was part of our NGA?
Very strange. I just came to write this exact post. It seems odd that he wouldn’t be but the whole NGA system is bizarre.

Moraes is very keen on being selected by us. No guarantees though.

He and Smillie are already a dynamic duo at Eastern Ranges, but do we need two mids next year?

It'd be nice if clubs could select one NGA player or F/S per draft and for another decade, allow GWS & the GC to select up to two. It allows clubs to recoup their investment in young players.

Moraes is very keen on being selected by us. No guarantees though.

He and Smillie are already a dynamic duo at Eastern Ranges, but do we need two mids next year?

It'd be nice if clubs could select one NGA player or F/S per draft and for another decade, allow GWS & the GC to select up to two. It allows clubs to recoup their investment in young players.
Be good for us. We could be lucky given it’s being reviewed currently. You’d be pretty flat if you were saints and to a lesser extent north (shouldn’t have had access anyway) who missed out on Mackenzie and Sanders in the last two years.

Be good for us. We could be lucky given it’s being reviewed currently. You’d be pretty flat if you were saints and to a lesser extent north (shouldn’t have had access anyway) who missed out on Mackenzie and Sanders in the last two years.
Whatever the results of any review, you can guarantee we'll not 'be lucky'. Hell, I'd consider us being mildly disadvantaged as 'being lucky'.

I noticed Smillie was training with us this pre-season. Anyone know why Christian Moraes isn't also with us? If memory serves me right, I thought he was part of our NGA?
He ended up training with us, but I hear he isn't officially a part of our NGA? From a track watcher, but I have heard from others he is but will go top 40 more likely first round after an impressive 2023, it's such a complicated strange system tbh and no one shares intell on who is in the Academy... but in the end he did train with us, along with 194cm mid/hbf Smillie, Ky Burgoyne who I have not seen play yet and Ned Maginness who had a few games on the wing for Sandy, Ned was overlooked late last season, not sure if injured, out of favour ect? He seems OK, but at Junior level only the standouts get opportunities unless they are kpp talent, so he has to show something in 2024 I would think? I hear he is keen to enter the mid season draft, so he is fired up for a big start to his season.

Last edited:
He ended up training with us, but I hear he isn't officially a part of our NGA? From a track watcher, but I have heard from others he is but will go top 40 more likely first round after an impressive 2023, it's such a complicated strange system tbh and no one shares intell on who is in the Academy... but in the end he did train with us, along with 194cm mid/hbf Smillie, Ky Burgoyne who I have not seen play yet and Ned Maginness who had a few games on the wing for Sandy, Ned was overlooked late last season, not sure if injured, out of favour ect? He seems OK, but at Junior level only the standouts get opportunities unless they are kpp talent, so he has to show something in 2024 I would think? I hear he is keen to enter the mid season draft, so he is fired up for a big start to his season.
There’s a good podcast on hawks insiders last year between Danny Prins and the coach of Sandy talking about Calsher and Ned in detail. In short he had a few injuries and is slight so probably needs the extra year to develop enough to be a chance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laura Kane said on Sen this morning they’re looking at nga and whether they could open it up to allow matching in the “early rounds of the draft”. Christian Moraes come on down.
He is not part of the Hawthorn NGA a common misconception

From a quick facebook stalk, it’s clear his parents are Portuguese / Brazilian.
His father is Brazilian he is not eligible

From the article above

Part two of the academy is for athletes aged 16 and above.

To be eligible to be involved in this part of the academy a player must meet the following requirements.

• Involved in part one of the Hawthorn Next Generation Academy and
  • Be Indigenous or Torres Strait islander or
  • Be from Asian descent or
  • Be from African descent or
  • Both parents born in a culturally and linguistically diverse country (CALD)
Christian doesn't meet these criteria so he can not be part of a Hawthorn NGA

His father is Brazilian he is not eligible

From the article above

Part two of the academy is for athletes aged 16 and above.

To be eligible to be involved in this part of the academy a player must meet the following requirements.

• Involved in part one of the Hawthorn Next Generation Academy and
  • Be Indigenous or Torres Strait islander or
  • Be from Asian descent or
  • Be from African descent or
  • Both parents born in a culturally and linguistically diverse country (CALD)
Christian doesn't meet these criteria so he can not be part of a Hawthorn NGA
How do you know he doesn’t meet the last criteria? His parents have clearly immigrated from their Facebook profiles. Also how did cam Mackenzie qualify?

Everyone is saying he’s NGA or eligible, he clearly has some sort of diverse heritage and he even trained with us recently. Everything seems to point to what is being reported, don’t understand where your position is coming from.

How do you know he doesn’t meet the last criteria? His parents have clearly immigrated from their Facebook profiles. Also how did cam Mackenzie qualify?

Everyone is saying he’s NGA or eligible, he clearly has some sort of diverse heritage and he even trained with us recently. Everything seems to point to what is being reported, don’t understand where your position is coming from.
In my previous post i told you why. It came from the horse's mouth anyways i am done explaining it mate its not that important.

By the way Cam's father is South African... so he qualifies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back