Play Nice 2024 AFL TV Ratings

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Internal trials starting this weekend.

Will be keeping the ratings thread separate to the attendance thread this year.

Notes

Oztam have now moved completely to VOZ. At present this means no Fox or Kayo streams seem to be appearing on the oztam lists. Reach is now the focus of the Oztam reporting although an average for Linear is still being reported.

* NOTE: NEW METRICS AND REPORTS *

• Total TV Overnight Top 30 and Consolidated 7 Top 30 reach is calculated using cumulative unique audiences watching 1 min of broadcast TV and 15 sec of BVOD.
  • Total TV National audience is calculated using the audience average for the program as time-coded by the Network across 5CM and all regional markets nationally watching on broadcast TV.
  • BVOD national audience is calculated using the total number of minutes watched (multiplied by co-viewing factor) divided by the length of the program.

Will attempt to get as much data as possible, but Oztam not making it easy any more.

Last edited:
CLUB v club footy will be back this weekend, with Melbourne to take on Richmond in the first of nine match simulations before the official pre-season games get underway later this month.

1707969371415.png

Getting some questions on twitter and elsewhere

What does VOZ comprise?

VOZ captures ‘Total TV
’, that is: viewing of Metropolitan, Regional and Subscription TV broadcasters’ (linear) TV content (whether viewed live or played back through the TV set up to 28 days of original broadcast) and also internet-delivered BVOD services. Participating BVOD broadcasters: ABC, Seven Network, Nine Network, Network 10, SBS and Foxtel.

Does broadcast TV and BVOD viewing continue to be reported separately?

Through 2024, broadcast TV and BVOD will continue to be reported separately (in OzTAM and Regional TAM TV ratings, and OzTAM’s Video Player Measurement (VPM) service, respectively) allowing a period of transition for the industry.

https://virtualoz.com.au/resources/faqs/

The AFL and Seven would be over the moon with being #1 on FTA last night!
#1 SEVEN’S AFL: THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALLSeven2,145,000702,0000
This is going to be a fun year for ratings....I generally CBF checking out league unlimited forums but I might make an exception once or twice this year

This is going to be a fun year for ratings....I generally CBF checking out league unlimited forums but I might make an exception once or twice this year
like you dont travel over there too much (their Xitter feed has banned me for having the temerity of asking a simple - and justified - question) .... out of curiosity i did venture over there just before ...... its rather quiet - deathly quiet in fact :drunk:

I can't recall a Thursday or Friday night when nrl beat afl in ratings. I know they usually get the bigger fox and some of the mir Saturday games are big but how does it all equate to more watching nrl overall? Still can't work it out..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't recall a Thursday or Friday night when nrl beat afl in ratings. I know they usually get the bigger fox and some of the mir Saturday games are big but how does it all equate to more watching nrl overall? Still can't work it out..

Mate, longer game = average dumb.

Don't sweat if you still can't work it out though. Just focus on the reach now!

:D

Haha, Gonna be a tough year this Muppet.....

Will end up 1 million behind in reach and 200k in average for those dim witted enough to think it should still be the primary comparator

Forgetting also that there is no metro regional split anymore

I suspect the new fox kayo numbers aren't going to be that pleasing for him either if when they are released.

NRL doesn't overlap games, and plays a far higher proportion of their game in Thu/Fri/Sun/Mon prime time slots. (The AFL plays about 15% of their total matches on a Thursday or Friday night. The NRL is about 35%)

The fact that even with these advantages their average accumulated viewership is basically equal to the AFL's indicates that AFL is just the more popular code, which is backed up by google trend and survey data (and siimlar like-for-like comparisons such as a single game being played at identical times, such as H2H Thursday fixtures or finals matches). The AFL then makes a bit more money from its media deals through a combination of longer length of game, and the target market being slightly more appealing for advertisers (higher proportional viewership in the 5 metro areas).

The AFL subsequently makes significantly more revenue in non-broadcast sources, partially because their timeslots for games, while not amicable for TV viewers, generates far more attendance and membership revenue. Who knew a 6pm start on a Friday by the NRL reduces crowds?

AFL is overlapping fewer games than last year with both this Opening Round and more Thursday games in general. I'd be surprised if it didn't retake the lead for accumulated average viewership as a result.

Last edited:
Friday VOZ
Sevens #AFL: Friday Night Football
Lions/Blues
Reach 1.993m
Total TV 638,000

Total TV 261,000

Fox/Kayo unavailable

Data: VOZ

Friday VOZ
Friday Night #NRL Live
Reach 1.426m
Total TV 576,000
BVOD 67,000
I find the new way of collecting the ratings a little confusing - so is the AFL figure of Reach 1.993m viewers that watch the program for one minute or more and why does the total number drop to Total TV 638,000?

The idiots at 7 didn't seem to have 7 plus working when I went to use it Thursday night. It had border patrol as the tv guide option.

The ratings appear to indicate no streaming numbers either. It could always be a leaguie in charge upset with the numbers, so isn't loading the streaming option to allow for even more of a shellacking, I dunno 😅.

The idiots at 7 didn't seem to have 7 plus working when I went to use it Thursday night. It had border patrol as the tv guide option.

The ratings appear to indicate no streaming numbers either. It could always be a leaguie in charge upset with the numbers, so isn't loading the streaming option to allow for even more of a shellacking, I dunno 😅.

AFL streaming on 7plus doesnt start until next year, except for the brownlow and grand final

AFL streaming on 7plus doesnt start until next year, except for the brownlow and grand final

Oh that's weird, I thought it was available for the gf last year? Anyway thanks for letting me know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back