2nds 2024 AFLW Swans playing in VFLW

Remove this Banner Ad

Missed the coaches votes!

Rd 3
Western Bulldogs 3.4 (22) def by Sydney Swans 12.12 (84)
Laura Gardiner (SYD)
7 Montana Ham (SYD)
5 Tanya Kennedy (SYD)
4 Keeley Hardingham (WB)
3 Montana Beruldsen (SYD)
1 Aimee Whelan (SYD)

Rd 4
Sydney Swans 17.12 (114) def North Melbourne 4.1 (25)
Montana Ham (SYD)
8 Laura Gardiner (SYD)
6 Bella Smith (SYD)
5 Chloe Molloy (SYD)
1 Montana Beruldsen (SYD)
1 Nicole Hales (NM)

After 2 games, 2 Swans players on the leaderboard!

LEADERBOARD

Ange Gogos (DF)
19 Madeleine Di Cosmo (NM)
18 Laura Gardiner (SYD)
18 Abbey McDonald (GEE)
18 Ava Seton (PM)
16 Emily Bates (BHH)
16 Montana Ham (SYD)
16 Meg Macdonald (CAS)
15 Caitlin Bunker (DF)

Sydney steps up to 20 AFL-listed players for its home game against Casey Demons, with the biggest names still in action and star young defender Ella Heads among the inclusions alongside fellow debutant Ruby Sargent-Wilson and the experienced Annabel Woodward coming in for Academy member Imogen Brown and first-year players Lara Hausegger and Holly Cooper.

SYDNEY SWANS vs CASEY DEMONS​

Saturday 20 April, 1:05pm
Blacktown International Sportspark

B:
A. Mitchell (8), A. Woodward (13)
HB: R. Sargent-Wilson (6), E. Heads (12), P. McCarthy (15)
C: E. Vale (23), L. Gardiner (31), S. Grunden (16)
HF: C. Molloy (5), G. Davies (20), M. Ham (18)
F: B. Smith (11), M. Beruldsen (33)
R: A. Hamilton (30), A. Whelan (22), S. Hurley (25)
INT: K. Hillier (3), B. Bailey (1), T. Kennedy (29), P. Sheppard (4), C. Hamilton (10)
EMG: S. Gulden (26)

IN: E. Heads, R. Sargent-Wilson, A. Woodward
OUT: H. Cooper, L. Hausseger (AFLW), I. Brown (Sydney Swans Academy)
NEW: VFLW debut (AFLW listed): Ella Heads, 20, 175cm, Inner West Magpies/Swans Academy; Ruby Sargent-Wilson, 20, 166cm, Southport Power/Swans Academy

Sarah Lampard and Alyssa Bannan out of Casey's line up this week leaves little in the way of listed AFLW players/experience: Tahlia Gillard (28 games, 20 yo), Lily Johnson (5 games, 20yo), and Georgia Gall (2 games, 19yo).

They'll have a few players recently delisted from Collingwood and Richmond's AFLW teams: Sophie Casey (63 games, 32yo), Joanna Lin (21 games, 22yo), and Meg Macdonald (23 games, 25yo).

Another thrashing highly likely.

Quarter time we lead

I missed the first couple of goals unfortunately but top up player Bailey kicked a ripper from loose play. Can't recall now if she actually kicked it off the deck/out of the air but it was very sharp and at an angle from fairly close range.

Two goals each to Hamilton and Davies. Beruldsen among the other goal kickers. Gardiner the leading possession getter so far with 10.

I realise the opposition isn't AFL standard, but that was some remarkable footy the Swans played in that first quarter. So slick, cohesive, so accurate.

If our AFLW B&F was a three woman race last year (at least until Morphett got injured), it will be at least a four woman race this year. Ham looks set to take the competition by the scruff of the neck.

Quarter time we lead

I missed the first couple of goals unfortunately but top up player Bailey kicked a ripper from loose play. Can't recall now if she actually kicked it off the deck/out of the air but it was very sharp and at an angle from fairly close range.

Two goals each to Hamilton and Davies. Beruldsen among the other goal kickers. Gardiner the leading possession getter so far with 10.
Love to the girls from Kazakhstan! Sounds great.

Half time

Casey did much better with the wind at their backs. Got their first goal courtesy of an innocuous but fair 50 m penalty against Beruldsen. Casey kicked their second goal just on half time - quality kick from at least 35 metres out on a 45 degree angle.

Grunden applying some good defensive pressure. Indeed our whole team are applying good pressure. Possibly we eased up a bit after a sensational first quarter. Not sure whether it's more to do with the breeze or us falling away a little/them picking up a little.

Cynthia Hamilton and Giselle Davies both got 3rd goals. Hamilton has been good. Davies has also been doing a fair bit of rucking - she looks a good pick up.

I'm less sold on other trade-in, Kiara Hillier, despite her coming from the Lions. Late in that quarter we were zinging the ball up the middle of the ground and when the ball got to Hillier she froze like a deer in the headlights and held up the play for what felt an eternity. Finally, when she kicked, she missed her target and the opportunity that the fast break had created vanished.

Ruby Sergeant-Wison had an energetic first quarter I thought but I noticed her less in the 2nd. I'll keep an eye on her.

Casey's ruck, Tahlia Gillard, seems one of their better players today. And she's tall! Hard to get the ball past her.

There's going to be some decent players struggling to get a game for our AFLW team. Pretty much everyone playing today is miles ahead of anyone who played in our debut season - obviously a lot of those players have improved significantly since then. But even compared to last season the likes of Beruldsen, both Hamiltons, Smith, Vale look to have improved, while Ham (whose spot was never in question) looks on the brink of breaking out to be a top liner.

We have Morphett, McEvoy, Privitelli and Tarrant to fit into this team once the AFLW starts. You'd think they'd all be automatic selections. Plus Steane and O'Sullivan who were regulars last year but maybe not automatic inclusions. But even some of those not playing today have shown something over the early rounds of the VFLW to suggest they could be handy contributors.

3/4 time

Solid quarter but a few more misses, mostly with shots from right hand wing (i.e. away from the grandstand). Molloy kicked a ripper on the run with the breeze from just about on 50, and Ham snapped a ripper from the forward pocket at a sharp angle too.

Full-time

Relative to the quarter time score a little disappointing but it was a blistering start and the conditions were difficult kicking into the wind with the strong breeze.

I'd expect Gardiner and Ham to again be among our best.

Sergeant-Wilson had a good start to her season. Ella Heads looked sharp at times but, as with all the defenders, had fewer opportunities than those playing forward, and perhaps showed some signs of rustiness.

It's hard to judge at VFLW level but Bella Smith seems to be doing pretty well as a key forward. She certainly offers a marking target and straightens us up and she's a decent shot for goal too.

Agree with you liz that Ham is looking ominously good.

Woodward showed a surprising turn of speed at one stage, but disappointed with her disposal at other times.

As mentioned already, I'm liking what I'm seeing from Giselle Davies. She's seems to play a similar role to Lexi Hamilton but perhaps executes it a little better. In particular she seems to be more of a goal scoring threat.

Hurley was busy, and I would not be surprised to see her get coaches votes, but not yet at her best.

Molloy also building slowly. Didn't apply such conspicuous pressure as last week but had some fantastic moments.

Paris McCarthy didn't get much of the ball playing in defence but I still have a lot of trust in her when it's her turn.

Our serviceable role players like Whelan, Sheppard and Vale were all quite good. Ditto Grunden, who looks like she will eclipse those three in time.

I missed Hausegger and I hope she gets another VFLW game after enjoying a break.

Box Hill playing a lot of AFLW players and beating teams by similar margins to what we are, hopefully give our team a real contest next week.

Yes, I had the same thought.

I'm still unsatisfied about why teams are so reluctant to play their AFLW players. Is it mostly about fear of them getting injured?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round Five - Sydney Swans v Casey Demons
Saturday, April 20 1:05pm
Blacktown International Sports Park

INS:
Ella Heads, Ruby Sargent-Wilson, Alana Woodward
OUTS:
Lara Hausegger, Imogen Brown, Holly Cooper

Ham being fully up and running is something that can really take us up a notch this coming AFLW season, just one more incredibly classy player to make big moments happen. Hope she stays healthy.

Official VFLW review

Sydney v Casey

Sydney has posted another huge win, this time an 85-point victory over Casey at Blacktown on Saturday.

Laura Gardiner's ball-winning ways continued, with 42 disposals and six clearances, and Montana Ham's (26 disposals, two goals) ability both through the middle and in attack shone once more.

Cynthia Hamilton and new Swan Giselle Davies kicked two goals each, and Bella Smith and Montana Beruldsen kicked two apiece.

Sofia Hurley (23 disposals, one goal), Ruby Sargent-Wilson (20 disposals), Ella Heads (19 disposals), and Tanya Kennedy (18 disposals, five tackles) all won plenty of the footy for the Swans.

Eliza Vale (16 disposals), Aimee Whelan (15 disposals, nine tackles), Sarah Grunden (11 disposals, one goal), and Paris McCarthy (eight disposals) all put their hand up for round one selection come the AFLW season.

Chloe Molloy hit the scoreboard for the second week running, and Paige Sheppard (15 disposals) and Lexi Hamilton (13 disposals, 16 hitouts) played a part in the win.

Defenders Alice Mitchell (seven disposals), Kiara Hillier (10 disposals), and Alana Woodward (13 disposals) all had quieter days given Sydney's dominance.

Full round review: https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1114501/around-the-state-leagues-giant-kicks-four

Lexi Hamilton suspended for 4 matches

View attachment 1967928
That’s a shame. I didn’t see the incident watching live so hard to comment.

Does anyone know if this is just a VFLW ban or does it carry through to the AFLW? We only have two more VFLW matches this year, so if it’s just VFLW, does it carry forward to next year? If she has to serve the remainder in the AFLW season, that’s almost hss as if that season gone given she’s already suspended for the first two weeks of the AFLW.

Round 5 Coaches Votes

Sydney Swans 16.7 (103) def Casey Demons 2.6 (18)
10 Laura Gardiner (SYD)
8 Montana Ham (SYD)
6 Sofia Hurley (SYD)
Shree Fairchild (CD)
2 Meg Macdonald (CD)
2 Bella Smith (SYD)

LEADERBOARD​

29 Ange Gogos (DF)
28 Laura Gardiner (SYD)
24 Montana Ham (SYD)
Zarlie Goldsworthy (GWS)
19 Madeleine Di Cosmo (NM)
18 Charlotte Baskaran (BHH)
18 Caitlin Bunker (DF)
18 Meg McDonald (CD)
18 Abbey McDonald (GEE)
18 Ava Seton (PM)

Box Hill v Sydney Swans VFLW
3:35pm, Sunday, April 28
Box Hill City Oval, Box Hill

INS:
Ally Morphett, Lisa Steane, Lauren Szigeti, Holly Cooper, Lara Hausegger

OUTS:
Alana Woodward, Lexi Hamilton (suspended), Sofia Hurley, Laura Gardiner, Brooke Bailey

BacksAlice MitchellKiara Hillier
Half BacksRuby Sargent-WilsonElla HeadsParis McCarthy
CentrelineEliza ValePaige SheppardMontana Ham
Half ForwardsBella SmithCynthia HamiltonSarah Grunden
ForwardsMontana BeruldsenGiselle Davies
FollowersAlly MorphettChloe MolloyLauren Szigeti
InterchangeHolly CooperLara HauseggerTanya Kennedy
Lisa SteaneAimee Whelan
EmergencyLaura Gardiner

Box Hill v Sydney Swans VFLW
3:35pm, Sunday, April 28
Box Hill City Oval, Box Hill

INS:
Ally Morphett, Lisa Steane, Lauren Szigeti, Holly Cooper, Lara Hausegger

OUTS: Alana Woodward, Lexi Hamilton (suspended), Sofia Hurley, Laura Gardiner, Brooke Bailey

BacksAlice MitchellKiara Hillier
Half BacksRuby Sargent-WilsonElla HeadsParis McCarthy
CentrelineEliza ValePaige SheppardMontana Ham
Half ForwardsBella SmithCynthia HamiltonSarah Grunden
ForwardsMontana BeruldsenGiselle Davies
FollowersAlly MorphettChloe MolloyLauren Szigeti
InterchangeHolly CooperLara HauseggerTanya Kennedy
Lisa SteaneAimee Whelan
EmergencyLaura Gardiner

With Gardiner out, the rest of the team will get a chance to touch the ball. Laura is a ball hog 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back