2024 Aussie Summer of Cycling

Remove this Banner Ad

The men's under 23's ITT was a surprise result with Medway defeating McKenzie and Chamberlain - I guess Jayco will try to get medway onto their affiliated development team at Haegens Bermans Axion - Note that the podium was 19 or younger.

Gigante had a mechanical and was forced to use a road bike - Diasppointed in Howe who got no closer to Brown. The men's ITT went as expected with a Jayco domination.

Gigante looked really strong on the climb but the Jayco girls played it perfectly. The crosswind on the hill kinda nullified the chance of an attack getting away. As soon as they turned left you were stuck with the headwind V the bunch.

Plapp, not an unexpected winner, this course really suits him, but the demolition job shows where he's at and the field being a bit weak this year.

Why didn't Haig ride the Nats when he's doing the TDU? He'd have been a chance.

This is the first time Haig has ridden in Australia, since the Herald Sun Tour in his neo-pro year. Actually, he has not returned to Australia since this time. I suggest his Spanish wife pressured him into visiting Australia.

This is the first time Haig has ridden in Australia, since the Herald Sun Tour in his neo-pro year. Actually, he has not returned to Australia since this time. I suggest his Spanish wife pressured him into visiting Australia.
Yeah, still don't understand why he wouldn't do Nats when he's over here anyway.

Yeah, still don't understand why he wouldn't do Nats when he's over here anyway.

Haig would have been competitive - yet, Hindley who is currently in Perth is making his seasonal debut in Classic Valenciana in Spain on January 20.

Haig would have been competitive - yet, Hindley who is currently in Perth is making his seasonal debut in Classic Valenciana in Spain on January 20.
The TDU doesn't go high enough or steep enough for Hindley so I understand why he's starting the Valenciana instead.

The TDU doesn't go high enough or steep enough for Hindley so I understand why he's starting the Valenciana instead.

Hindley has hardly performed in flattish one day races. Anyway he will be at a new team in 2025 if he does not ride the Giro - Jayco will be interested, however, I see no spot for him, though I would consider O'Connor.

Some good news about the TV coverage for the TDU & Cadel Evans races. It looks like we'll see a lot more of the Live stages being broadcast in HD (on 7Mate), rather than being punted to the barely watchable SD on 7Two. All stages are also available on 7Plus, which is in 720p (I think).

Stage 1 - 7Two
Stage 2 - 7Mate
Stage 3 - 7 Mate
Stage 4 - 7Mate
Stage 5 - 7Mate
Stage 6 - 7Two

Cadel Evans - 7Mate

No idea why stages 1 & 6 are going to be on 7Two, with an unwatchably low bitrate, but at least they're the only stages being shown in SD this year. Last year the weekend stages were the only ones shown in HD.

Fingers crossed they'll improve the coverage of the Cadel Evans race too. Last year they had precisely 1x motorbike camera and 1x helicopter - and the helicopter couldn't be used most of the time because of the weather. As a result, we spent half the race watching the riders at the very back of the peleton, as that was where the camera moto was stuck. Yes, it was shown in HD (unlike most of the TDU), but that's no use when you're missing most of the action because they don't have enough cameras.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly they're better off taking it back to SBS. 7 do a terrible job with sport in general and with it being the same time as the cricket, I'm not sure why they're bothering.

Hopefully back on SBS next year

The weather guy dumbing down the concept that people riding in hot weather need to take on fluid is the lowlight to date.

I missed the start, did they show anything about the Mel Hoskins tribute?
Yeah it was there.

Raynolds a chance? I don't think she will be tbh

Baker is not a sprinter. I don't know who many times this same finish happens before they realise it.
She went way too early there. RRG should be their sprinter

Woolaston was always the favorite for the stage - She is on the next level of sprinter below Wiebes, Kool and Balsamo. Roseman-Gannon is the third fastest sprinter in this Jayco team - Baker and Manly are faster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back