2024 Aussie Summer of Cycling

Remove this Banner Ad

Welsford again. Just too good.

Jayco really need to sort out their sprint train. They looked like they had it right at 4 km to go with Hepburn, O'Brien, Stewart and Ewan but Ewan lost his position again and the rest sort of scattered after that.

Tomorrow I feel will be Haig, Fisher-Black, Yates, Alaphilippe, Calmejane, Bennett, Vader and Storer trying to light it up.

At the end of the day they got it right three times in four - What happened was that with just under 2kms to go Stewart lost O'briens wheel and got washed away- Stewart is a good final rider but can lose the wheel of the second last rider for Ewan - Things will get better when Walscheid is the second last rider for Ewan.

Jayco signed an exceptionally strong team for the one day race Valenciana - Matthews, reinders, Mezgec, groenewegen, Juul-Jensen,, Maas and Englehardt - They should be winning that race.

Looked like Alaphilippe didn't realise the KotM line wasn't the finish line, at the top of Willunga Hill. Appeared to pull up as soon as he crossed the KotM line, allowing the podium trio to rocket straight past him (with Navaez accidentally clipping him on the way past).

Last edited:
As predicted, Yates is not suited by Willunga Hill which is a power climb - Plapp was always the number one seed for TDU - Jayco will try tomorrow, however, they are climbing the easier side of Mt Lofty, so it will be hard to make a difference.

Ewan and Viviani favourites for the last race of our summer.

Bold prediction...

The commentators won't name a single other competitor, other than Ewan, in the last Km... and he won't finish in the top-5. The winner won't be mentioned until after he has crossed the finish line (in keeping with last year's tradition).

** I really wish they'd just call the race, rather than just calling the Australians in the race.

There is the Surf Classic at Torquay on Thursday which Ewan can win if he is in shape - The Cadel race is a raffle - I wonder if Plapp has recovered because he could do damage on the last climb. Jayco overcame their disappointment of the TDU by winning the two one day races with Groenewegen and Matthews.

There is the Surf Classic at Torquay on Thursday which Ewan can win if he is in shape - The Cadel race is a raffle - I wonder if Plapp has recovered because he could do damage on the last climb. Jayco overcame their disappointment of the TDU by winning the two one day races with Groenewegen and Matthews.
They aren't racing that apparently.

Road Nat Champs are moving to Perth until 2027. Will be based in the CBD so the course will be especially boring.

Road Nat Champs are moving to Perth until 2027. Will be based in the CBD so the course will be especially boring.
Shame it isn't in the hills for a few years.

The summer of Caleb continues...
This will be the worst signing Greenedge has ever made.

The power data coming from others that lost to Bling during the week is incredible for January form. No way should be playing lead out for anyone in this team.

The summer of Caleb continues...
This will be the worst signing Greenedge has ever made.

The power data coming from others that lost to Bling during the week is incredible for January form. No way should be playing lead out for anyone in this team.

Yet, Welsford pushed 1400 watts when Ewan blitzed him in the National Criterium - Something is not right with Ewan - The team says illness, yet I was informed it was injuries from his crash in the National RR - I've already posted that Bling should be riding the Vuelta which has a number of suitable stages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet, Welsford pushed 1400 watts when Ewan blitzed him in the National Criterium - Something is not right with Ewan - The team says illness, yet I was informed it was injuries from his crash in the National RR - I've already posted that Bling should be riding the Vuelta which has a number of suitable stages.

The ballarat crit circuit is an uphill finish and Welsford had nobody to help him.

The ballarat crit circuit is an uphill finish and Welsford had nobody to help him.

It suggests that Ewan was pushing good watts on this day which he could not get near in the TDU.

Cadel race is always a lottery. They could improve it by a re-model of the course to include another climb - add in the Deviation Rd downhill and then the climb up through the new "Heights Estate" that runs adjacent to the Geelong Ring Road that goes up to Church St (about 700m at 8.5% average). Comes after the Challambra climb, Scenic Rd downhill and Melville Wall and would make the race a better opportunity for the person who gets up Challambra first to get a more decisive break. Also could enable a massive 70+ kmh chase down Church with some extra length to this downhill run.

As a Geelong local I've ridden this loop a few times and it's a tough test. Would make a better race.

Last edited:
So you know more than Cadel's intentions? Arrogance of the highest order.

They are right with their post - Cadel's race is a bit of a lottery with a wide range of permutations - There have been 7 editions of the race and the winners won a total of 12 races in that year - This is magnified by Viviani winning another 9 races in 2019 - Take out Viviani's victory and results show it is a lottery.

They are right with their post - Cadel's race is a bit of a lottery with a wide range of permutations - There have been 7 editions of the race and the winners won a total of 12 races in that year - This is magnified by Viviani winning another 9 races in 2019 - Take out Viviani's victory and results show it is a lottery.
My point was unless we know Cadel's intention in creating the course why would we criticise ... He seemed pretty happy with the entire thing. He knows the roads also.

My point was unless we know Cadel's intention in creating the course why would we criticise ... He seemed pretty happy with the entire thing. He knows the roads also.
It isn't really a criticism, it's a post saying "I think this could improve the course". As far as I'm concerned, another climb would enhance the course.

And my point is why would anyone question what Cadel intended?

Fair bump play on.
I don't think we can comment on what he intended unless he's said what it is.

Nobody is perfect. No course is perfect. It's a good course that could use a little more climbing.

Enjoyed a great day out on the course, catching the riders at 4 different spots on the "Geelong lap". Another successful event.

PS. Even managed a climb up Challambra and a PB!

I don't think we can comment on what he intended unless he's said what it is.

Nobody is perfect. No course is perfect. It's a good course that could use a little more climbing.
It was a ripping race. I would like to think it was Cadal's intention. What a race.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back