Preview 2024 Best 22 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m glad you lot aren’t selecting the round 1 team, only Amiss Frederick and Walters averaged more goals per game than Sturt last year and you’ve all turfed him the first chance you get!
Ok, technically Emmett topped our averages at 2 goals per game, but it was only 2 games so I excluded him.
I get not including him (though he's in mine), Emmett goes a long way to making up for the pressure we lose with Schultz gone but Sturt is needed to actually help kick goals.

We really really need a small who kicks 40+ goals a year

I’m glad you lot aren’t selecting the round 1 team, only Amiss Frederick and Walters averaged more goals per game than Sturt last year and you’ve all turfed him the first chance you get!
Ok, technically Emmett topped our averages at 2 goals per game, but it was only 2 games so I excluded him.
Yeah mate, I hang my head in shame for that one being a huge Sturt defender, I just don't know who to drop to get him in the team.

It's nothing against Sturt, it's just finding the right role. If Treacy, Amiss, Jackson, Walters, and Frederick are considered automatic, then there's only three spots left for O'Meara, Switkowski, Emmett, and Sturt, so one of those four has to miss out. Each bring a very different set of skills and attributes to the game, so it's not easy to just say which player is better than the other. It very much depends on what the game plan is going to be.

That's why I note that it could very easily be O'Meara who misses out and Sturt gets the nod.

It's nothing against Sturt, it's just finding the right role. If Treacy, Amiss, Jackson, Walters, and Frederick are considered automatic, then there's only three spots left for O'Meara, Switkowski, Emmett, and Sturt, so one of those four has to miss out. Each bring a very different set of skills and attributes to the game, so it's not easy to just say which player is better than the other. It very much depends on what the game plan is going to be.

That's why I note that it could very easily be O'Meara who misses out and Sturt gets the nod.

The forwards you have listed are either smalls or talls, and we should also be playing a medium forward. And Sturt is our best option in that role with his height, speed, skill, forward craft. So for me he is an automatic inclusion and the decision is easy.

Emmett qualifies based on his listed height, but he looks/plays smaller to me. I think we could play both him and Sturt (e.g. like WHE and McCreery at the Pies), but not sure that will happen.

Switta is the one I struggle to find room for. Surplus to small forward needs with Walters and Freddy, and I think our small midfielders (JOM, Brayshaw, Serong) need bigger companions, not smaller. But I suspect most people, including the coaches, would have him locked in the side.

We could just trial JOM in the sub role and move Sturt to the forwardline. In your lineup you could also drop Wagner from the squad and play one less defender.

ryan pearce walker
clarke cox wagner
sharp fyfe johnson
freddy treacy walters
emmett amiss jackson

darcy serong brayshaw

young aish switta simpson

sub erasmus

ryan pearce walker
clarke cox wagner
sharp fyfe johnson
freddy treacy walters
emmett amiss jackson

darcy serong brayshaw

young aish switta simpson

sub erasmus
Just out of interest, how many zero game or near zero game afl players debut in the first game of the season. Sure it happens - and it sure will with H A R L E Y R E I D !!!!!!! - just trying to recall when this last happened for the dockers? Anyone remember?

Just out of interest, how many zero game or near zero game afl players debut in the first game of the season. Sure it happens - and it sure will with H A R L E Y R E I D !!!!!!! - just trying to recall when this last happened for the dockers? Anyone remember?
Most recently Brayshaw. I am pretty sure Paul Hasleby did. Michael Barlow also (albeit as a mature)

Most recently Brayshaw. I am pretty sure Paul Hasleby did. Michael Barlow also (albeit as a mature)
Sam Sturt would've been the last one in 2020?

Lachie Schultz did it in 2019 and Bailey Banfield (and Andy Bradshaw) in 2018.

Wouldn't think the averages would be much less than one per team tbh - maybe around 12-15 players debuting round one.

Freo for whatever reason have tended to wait until round 2 or 3 to debut players. I think that Tucker, Balic, Cerra, Crowden, Young, Serong and Chapman, NOD and Johnson all debuted very early in the season without it actually being round one. I reckon we see Cooper Simpson within the first half of the year tbh.

Wouldn't think the averages would be much less than one per team tbh - maybe around 12-15 players debuting round one.

Freo for whatever reason have tended to wait until round 2 or 3 to debut players. I think that Tucker, Balic, Cerra, Crowden, Young, Serong and Chapman, NOD and Johnson all debuted very early in the season without it actually being round one. I reckon we see Cooper Simpson within the first half of the year tbh.
Add Logue round 3

Add Logue round 3
Question for those in the know:

- is simpson doing enough to debut round 1, looking at the quality of those who did this?

- is emmett playing well enough relative to alternatives to play round 1? (Think he’s played two (awesome!) games for us so far).

Question for those in the know:

- is simpson doing enough to debut round 1, looking at the quality of those who did this?

- is emmett playing well enough relative to alternatives to play round 1? (Think he’s played two (awesome!) games for us so far).
Simpson would need a few injuries to debut round 1 I imagine because we just dont like doing it for whatever reason. While I'm massive on him, he's going to be behind a few bodies in that forwardline when the season starts to get a gig. Realistically only 3-4 of JOM (think he starts forward), Walters, Sturt, Switta, Emmett and Banfield are playing and he's behind all of them.

Emmett is probably competing with Sturt for a game, I'd say it's 50/50 who plays

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not Sturt. He spent his first year (2019) more or less out of the game due to concussion. Played a few Peel games and then was out.

Simpson would need a few injuries to debut round 1 I imagine because we just dont like doing it for whatever reason. While I'm massive on him, he's going to be behind a few bodies in that forwardline when the season starts to get a gig. Realistically only 3-4 of JOM (think he starts forward), Walters, Sturt, Switta, Emmett and Banfield are playing and he's behind all of them.

Emmett is probably competing with Sturt for a game, I'd say it's 50/50 who plays
Emmett is replacing Schultz so he should be a lock for his spot in round one. We need a second small forward and he is the only one with runs on the board. JOM, Ras, Switta, Sturt and not small forwards.

Emmett is replacing Schultz so he should be a lock for his spot in round one. We need a second small forward and he is the only one with runs on the board. JOM, Ras, Switta, Sturt and not small forwards.
Switta is still a small forward first, c'mon now. It's still going to be a choice between Emmett and Sturt. One gives more pressure, one more firepower. Who are your 7 forwards?

Switta is still a small forward first, c'mon now. It's still going to be a choice between Emmett and Sturt. One gives more pressure, one more firepower. Who are your 7 forwards?
Imo he is not a small forward, he is a midfielder first that can occasionally play forward. This is why the coach has favoured Schultz and Walters as our two small forwards over the last few seasons. Switta's main attributes are his pace and ability to get through traffic which makes him 'perfect' for the midfield.

I will be very disappointed if we go the safe route this season and try to cover Schultz's position with Switta. His set shot accuracy is extremly average and he doesn't get enough looks at goal. More importantly we have young forwards to develop and playing Switta and JOM in the forwardline keeps them out. Emmett is the most like for like player next to Schultz but is taller, faster and has lots of potential. We should back him in and see how he performs.

Imo he is not a small forward, he is a midfielder first that can occasionally play forward. This is why the coach has favoured Schultz and Walters as our two small forwards over the last few seasons. Switta's main attributes are his pace and ability to get through traffic which makes him 'perfect' for the midfield.

I will be very disappointed if we go the safe route this season and try to cover Schultz's position with Switta. His set shot accuracy is extremly average and he doesn't get enough looks at goal. More importantly we have young forwards to develop and playing Switta and JOM in the forwardline keeps them out. Emmett is the most like for like player next to Schultz but is taller, faster and has lots of potential. We should back him in and see how he performs.
What's the difference between average and extremely average?

What's the difference between average and extremely average?
I was being polite lol. His set shot accuracy from 2018 to 2023 is 33%, 49%, 0% (played 0 games in 2020), 47%, 55%, 48%. But if you look at his disposal efficiency it is very good which is why he needs to spend the majority of his time up the ground.

Who is your 7 forwards, no Sturt?

Who is your 7 forwards, no Sturt?
I'm open minded, all I'm asking is that we give Emmett and Sturt a chance. If they don't perform than sure, send them back to Peel. I just don't like how we favour players like Switta and JOM because they are veterans and not because of their output.

Amiss
Treacy/ Tabs
Jackson
Switta
Walters
Leaving
Sturt, JOM, Frederick, Simpson, Emmett fighting for two spots.

I prefer Sturt and Frederick, with JOM as midfield rotation and 8th forward bit realistically he will be forward, and someone else will come out.

I'm open minded, all I'm asking is that we give Emmett and Sturt a chance. If they don't perform than sure, send them back to Peel. I just don't like how we favour players like Switta and JOM because they are veterans and not because of their output.
Alright Albo, answer the question, who is your preferred 7 forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back