IntBryanHobbsDuursmaCaldwell

BMcGrathMcKayRidley
HBRedmanReidBaldwin
CDurhamSettlefieldMartin
HFGreshamJonesStringer
FLangfordWrightMenzie
RDraperParishMerrett
I really like that team, but the backline looks too tall. Ant555 suggested elsewhere that Baldwin can't play a medium role. Maybe it's Laverde, though his height is similar. I like Baldwin and he sounds like he deserves. If it's between him and Reid it seems like it might be a raffle. Good depth either way.

BMcGrathMcKayRidley
HBRedmanReidBaldwin
CDurhamSettlefieldMartin
HFGreshamJonesStringer
FLangfordWrightMenzie
RDraperParishMerrett

Think this looks pretty good. I’d only have 1 change and that’s
Out: Jones
In Tsatas

I think Wright, Bryan, Draper is tall enough in the front half.

Baldwin can swing between Defence and FF

Reid firming to start in the 23 - maybe he pushes Heppell to the bench…?? Laverde will play every game in 2024 unless injured...
Dont think Shiel, Duursma or Draper ready for round 1 so right now I’d have;-

Reid McKay Ridley
Redman Lav McGrath
Martin Parish Durham
Gresham Langford Perkins
Stringer 2MP Guelfi

Goldstein Hobbs Merrett

Bench: Setterfield Caldwell Menzie Heppell
SUB: Hind

Emergency: Hind Tstatas Jones Bryan

Reid firming to start in the 23 - maybe he pushes Heppell to the bench…?? Laverde will play every game in 2024 unless injured...
Dont think Shiel, Duursma or Draper ready for round 1 so right now I’d have;-

Reid McKay Ridley
Redman Lav McGrath
Martin Parish Durham
Gresham Langford Perkins
Stringer 2MP Guelfi

Goldstein Hobbs Merrett

Bench: Setterfield Caldwell Menzie Heppell
SUB: Hind

Emergency: Hind Tstatas Jones Bryan
Not sold on the inclusions of Heppell, Laverde and Goldstein, but I reckon they'd play R1 in Scott's team at the moment.

I won't even try and predict a best 22.

We have good quality depth, which puts us in a position better than we've been in for 20 years.
The "best" 22 will be better because of the internal competition.

But it will either go one of two ways. They'll be successful because of it, or the depth will leave.

I want us to go hard with the mature players on our list. Our kids can play in the VFL and build synergy and a future together. They will all get games to cover injuries and resting senior players.

McGrath McKay Ridley
Martin Laverde Redman
Durham Parish Dursma
Perkins Weiderman Langford
Gresh Wright Stringer
Draper Setterfield Merrett
Shiel Hobbs Caldwell Menzie
Hind

I only want a 2nd ruck in the side if one of them can play tall forward. If that side can't make finals then we need to trade out Shiel, Weiderman, Laverde and Stringer and go full youth in 2025. Shiel and Draper won't be playing round 1.

VFL:
Lual Reid Hayes
Cox Baldwin Roberts
Heppell Guelfi XXX
Davey Jones Caddy
Davey Hunter Wanganeen
Bryan Tsatas XXX
Goldstein Visentini XXX XXX

I would also like Cox to have a go at half-forward in VFL. I would love us to have a half-forward line of Perkins, Cox and Langford in 2025. That is a lot of km to throw the opposition zone off. Bryan and Visentini to play forward a lot to see who can play forward and be the perfect partner to Draper. Heppell leading the VFL team is a great way for his leadership to have a long-term impact. He also is a good cover for our wings and half back.

Not sold on the inclusions of Heppell, Laverde and Goldstein, but I reckon they'd play R1 in Scott's team at the moment.
not keen on the other 2, but goldstein should be used as we need him, he's an asset and can cover for injuries as well as provide some on field leadership specifically for bryan/draper.

goldy is probably one of the best 3 ruckman in the past decade, we should see what he's able to do with our midfield (where i think we can do the most damage) before passing judgement

I want us to go hard with the mature players on our list. Our kids can play in the VFL and build synergy and a future together. They will all get games to cover injuries and resting senior players.

McGrath McKay Ridley
Martin Laverde Redman
Durham Parish Dursma
Perkins Weiderman Langford
Gresh Wright Stringer
Draper Setterfield Merrett
Shiel Hobbs Caldwell Menzie
Hind

I only want a 2nd ruck in the side if one of them can play tall forward. If that side can't make finals then we need to trade out Shiel, Weiderman, Laverde and Stringer and go full youth in 2025. Shiel and Draper won't be playing round 1.

VFL:
Lual Reid Hayes
Cox Baldwin Roberts
Heppell Guelfi XXX
Davey Jones Caddy
Davey Hunter Wanganeen
Bryan Tsatas XXX
Goldstein Visentini XXX XXX

I would also like Cox to have a go at half-forward in VFL. I would love us to have a half-forward line of Perkins, Cox and Langford in 2025. That is a lot of km to throw the opposition zone off. Bryan and Visentini to play forward a lot to see who can play forward and be the perfect partner to Draper. Heppell leading the VFL team is a great way for his leadership to have a long-term impact. He also is a good cover for our wings and half back.
So you're including Goldstein, Bryan, Visentini, Jones, Caddy and Hunter in one team. That's innovation!

not keen on the other 2, but goldstein should be used as we need him, he's an asset and can cover for injuries as well as provide some on field leadership specifically for bryan/draper.

goldy is probably one of the best 3 ruckman in the past decade, we should see what he's able to do with our midfield (where i think we can do the most damage) before passing judgement
We're not at a point where we're playing for sheep stations yet. I'm happy to continue getting games into Bryan if he's ready to ruck solo - it's looking more and more like that's a possibility now. I'd keep Goldy for mentoring and gap filling mostly, but with a full forward line I don't see us playing two rucks either.

I don’t think Brad will do it but I hope we supersize and play all of McKay, Reid, Baldwin and Ridley.
That's doable with McGrath and redman rounding it out

Baldwin - McKay - McGrath
Redman - Reid - Ridley
Martin - setterfield - Durham
Perkins - Langford - Gresham
Menzie - wright - stringer
Goldy - Merrett - parish
Hobbs - tsatas - hind - duursma
Heppell (or 5th spot on the bench)

Redman - Reid - Ridley
Goldy - Merrett - parish
I agree particularly with Hind as the seventh.

Our backline is an interesting conundrum because is Brad really dropping all of Heppell, Laverde and Kelly? I don’t think so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree particularly with Hind as the seventh.

Our backline is an interesting conundrum because is Brad really dropping all of Heppell, Laverde and Kelly? I don’t think so.
if we want balance i don't think Heppell, Kelly and Lav can all play in the same side.
they have experience and mature bodies, but each has pace as a deficiency.

likewise, i think it's Baldwin or Laverde, not both. Particularly if we roll Reid out.

Hind has to play until Lual/Roberts prove themselves. need pace and line breaking runs.
it's a shame we lost the 2020 players. saad, daniher and mckenna would make a world of difference at the moment, and i'd give the picks we got for them up.

if we want balance i don't think Heppell, Kelly and Lav can all play in the same side.
they have experience and mature bodies, but each has pace as a deficiency.

likewise, i think it's Baldwin or Laverde, not both. Particularly if we roll Reid out.

Hind has to play until Lual/Roberts prove themselves. need pace and line breaking runs.
it's a shame we lost the 2020 players. saad, daniher and mckenna would make a world of difference at the moment, and i'd give the picks we got for them up.
Kelly is not slow pace wise . He is actually reasonably quick. If he goes from the side it will be for someone with more creative ball use .

B- J.Ridley B.McKay A.McGrath
HB- M.Redman Z.Reid N.Martin
C- X.Duursma W.Setterfield S.Durham
HF- J.Gresham H.Jones A.Perkins
F- K.Langford P.Wright J.Menzie
FOLL- T.Goldstein D.Parish Z.Merrett
I/C- J.Caldwell, B.Hobbs, S.Draper, J.Stringer
Sub- E.Tsatsas

Emerg- N.Caddy, M.Guelfi, N.Cox, N.Hind

Redman - Reid - Ridley
Goldy - Merrett - parish
thinking what this might transform into;

Cox - McKay - McGrath (Cox for Baldwin)
Redman - Reid - Ridley
Martin - Caldwell - Durham (Caldwell for setterfield....missed caldwell in 1st team)
Langford - Wright - Gresham
Menzie - Jones - Caddy
Draper - Merrett - Tsatas
Hobbs - Parish - Duursma (wing/HF) - Stringer (mid/fwd)
Sub/5th bench spot - Perkins

rather than bench depth for defence, i think Martin and Merrett can push back.

B- J.Ridley B.McKay A.McGrath
HB- M.Redman Z.Reid N.Martin
C- X.Duursma W.Setterfield S.Durham
HF- J.Gresham H.Jones A.Perkins
F- K.Langford P.Wright J.Menzie
FOLL- T.Goldstein D.Parish Z.Merrett
I/C- J.Caldwell, B.Hobbs, S.Draper, J.Stringer
Sub- E.Tsatsas

Emerg- N.Caddy, M.Guelfi, N.Cox, N.Hind
I think this is pretty close to the round 1 team ..

Draper might not be ready for round 1. And we need a 7th def. So I'd swap Draper for Laverde.
I also like Hind training as a FWD. I'd swap Menzie and Hind.

I think this is pretty close to the round 1 team ..

Draper might not be ready for round 1. And we need a 7th def. So I'd swap Draper for Laverde.
I also like Hind training as a FWD. I'd swap Menzie and Hind.
Reckon this is very close to what round 1 will look like.

My best 22 probably reflects Lav as a seventh defender and one ruck. I’m happy for 2MP to absorb back up ruck minutes. We can go small ball for stages with Jones, Langford and Stringer.

I see a few teams with no Laverde…?? He’s a lock for mine - but we probably need to play Hind and/or Martin rotating off half back for balance. Right now I’ve got the 23 as;-

Redman McKay Laverde
Ridley Reid McGrath
Durham Parish Martin
Perkins Stringer Gresham
Langford 2MP Menzie

Goldstein Setterfield Merrett

Bench: Hobbs Caldwell Hind Draper
SUB: Shiel

I’ve left out both Jones & Caddy as I think Draper/Goldy can both play forward and provide that tall target when required. But there’s still 5 weeks until the Hawks round 1 game so depends on their form/injuries etc… plenty of other players could also come into the mix - Heppell Cox Duursma Tsatas Kelly Guelfi to name a few

Last edited:
I see a few teams with no Laverde…?? He’s a lock for mine - but we probably need to play Hind and/or Martin rotating off half back for balance. Right now I’ve got the 23 as;-

Redman McKay Laverde
Ridley Reid McGrath
Durham Parish Martin
Perkins Stringer Gresham
Langford 2MP Menzie

I’ve left out both Jones & Caddy as I think Draper/Goldy can both play forward and provide that tall target when required. But there’s still 5 weeks until the Hawks round 1 game so depends on their form/injuries etc… plenty of other players could also come into the mix - Heppell Cox Duursma Tsatas Kelly Guelfi to name a few

Martin has been moved into the back 6 as HB ball user, and McKay, Ridley, Redman, McGrath is a pretty established group.

So it’s Lav vs Reid for KPD2 or if Reid gets that then Lav vs Cox vs a smaller player for D7

Given the fact he’s played 100 games (FS secure) it’s worth starting the season with some of the younger guys to see how that goes

Redman McKay Laverde
Ridley Reid McGrath
Durham Parish Martin
Perkins Stringer Gresham
Langford 2MP Menzie

I agree about including Laverde, but I'm more surprised to see Reid in teams. I would've thought he'd be speculative at this stage and still a fair way off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back