Team Mgmt. 2024 Best 22 (or 23)

Remove this Banner Ad

Reid is a Rolls Royce

Potentially. I think there's a lot of wishful thinking though naming him in the best teams.

Don't get me wrong I want him to make it and hope he becomes a star, just don't know whether it'll happen this year even if he stays fit.

Potentially. I think there's a lot of wishful thinking though naming him in the best teams.

Don't get me wrong I want him to make it and hope he becomes a star, just don't know whether it'll happen this year even if he stays fit.

He played in the best 22 team in the intraclub yesterday, though it obviously dependent on Ridleys return. He's very close.

Last edited:

I'm interested to see our midfield mix this season. Expecting Parish/Merrett to get bulk CBA's 75-80% then what? Setterfield/Caldwell/Hobbs/Perkins? What do we think going by match sim (if you've caught any) and prior to seeing any pre season games?

I'm interested to see our midfield mix this season. Expecting Parish/Merrett to get bulk CBA's 75-80% then what? Setterfield/Caldwell/Hobbs/Perkins? What do we think going by match sim (if you've caught any) and prior to seeing any pre season games?
Going by the match sim there is always going to be one of Setterfield / Perkins / Durham / Stringer at CB

I think we are setting up very similarly to Geelongs flag side.

They had like 11 players rotate through defence most games:

Kolojashnij, De Koning, Tuohy, Henry, Blicavs, Bews, Stewart, Z.Gutherie with Stanley, Duncan and Smith rolling back constantly.

We could do something very similar with a setup like:

FB: McGrath, McKay, Laverde
HB: Ridley, Reid, Redman

Martin and Duursma falling back off the wings like Smith and Duncan. Kelly and Heppell off the bench, until the likes of Roberts or Lual are ready. Dream scenario would be Cox comes good to perform the Blicavs role.

Going by the match sim there is always going to be one of Setterfield / Perkins / Durham / Stringer at CB
I still think Durham will play a tonne of wing, unless its Perkins. Surely he aint pushing Setterfield out

On a seperate note also interested to see who that 3rd winger is, the guy whos there for 40%. Hopefully Perkins for me, unless hes really exploded and its Setterfield

Round 1 Side (I expect)

Mcgrath - Mckay - Laverde
Redman - Ridley - Martin (Reid)

Duursma - Parish - Durham (Setterfield)
Bryan - Zerrett - Stringer (Hobbs)

Caldwell - 2MP - Perkins
Menzie - Langford - Gresham (Hind)
Sub: Draper

We enter the year with the most wide open best 22 in ages.

The good part is we look to have depth. The less good part is we may spend half a year settling on our best line up.

We enter the year with the most wide open best 22 in ages.

The good part is we look to have depth. The less good part is we may spend half a year settling on our best line up.

Results determine your 'best 22' thats before available best 22 is even considered, and a lot of development can occur over a 6-7 month period

Weve see sides like Pies move Noble out, tigers move Pickett in right at the very end

Results determine your 'best 22' thats before available best 22 is even considered, and a lot of development can occur over a 6-7 month period

Weve see sides like Pies move Noble out, tigers move Pickett in right at the very end
For sure

But those sides were mature enough to know 80% of their best 22 early in the year. I reckon we are a bit further back than that.

All going well, by 2025 we will be in that boat, where more players can be picked on performance not just potential

For sure

But those sides were mature enough to know 80% of their best 22 early in the year. I reckon we are a bit further back than that.

All going well, by 2025 we will be in that boat, where more players can be picked on performance not just potential

Honestly cant see any of these not best 22

Mckay
Ridley
Redman
Mcgrath
Martin
Laverde

Durham
Zerrett
Parish
Stringer
Setterfield
Hobbs

Caldwell
2MP
Gresham
Langford

73% so yeh 7% behind i guess

Honestly cant see any of these not best 22

Mckay
Ridley
Redman
Mcgrath
Martin
Laverde

Durham
Zerrett
Parish
Stringer
Setterfield
Hobbs

Caldwell
2MP
Gresham
Langford

73% so yeh 7% behind i guess
Yes but what roles / positions are those 73% playing?

I’d say we’re only 78% sure on that front so I think the number you’re reaching for is 57% 😜

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys a fantasy based question which i hope is okay in this thread. Do you see Goldy as the primary ruck or will Draper and him share it?
Draper
Bryan
Goldstein

For me.

Draper
Bryan
Goldstein

For me.
I see Goldy as our number one ruck at this point. Hasn’t missed a beat pre-season and is a class above in the ruck arts. If anything, Draper will be our second tall next to Wright and will have a run in the ruck 20/80 with Goldy early in the season. Bryan will need to force Goldy out and Jones will need to force a structure re-think (ie playing 2 rucks) by starring in the VFL.

McGrath McKay Ridley
Redman Reid Martin
Durham Setterfield Duursma (Tsatas)
Caldwell (Shiel) Wright Gresham
Stringer Draper Langford
Goldstein Merrett Parish

Perkins Shiel Heppell Laverde

Hind/Tsatas/Cox/Hobbs/Menzie/Caddy

Duursma seems to be showing enough on return to pre-season and he will be structurally important.

Hind deserves a spot and is my preferred sub at this point.

Cox is apparently stepping up too which means he’s right in the mix.

Menzie still has a bit to prove to me.

Kelly seems to be of structural importance if Martin is pushing forward out of defence so I don’t rule him out but his deficiencies make me omit him at this point. Will be interesting to see how he gets used as we move toward round 1.

Hey guys a fantasy based question which i hope is okay in this thread. Do you see Goldy as the primary ruck or will Draper and him share it?
Draper
Bryan
Goldstein

For me.
I see Goldy as our number one ruck at this point. Hasn’t missed a beat pre-season and is a class above in the ruck arts. If anything, Draper will be our second tall next to Wright and will have a run in the ruck 20/80 with Goldy early in the season. Bryan will need to force Goldy out and Jones will need to force a structure re-think (ie playing 2 rucks) by starring in the VFL.
Draper is our de facto number 1 ruck, he plays whenever available and not having him has been detrimental to our performances in the past, but he's had an interrupted pre-season so is unlikely to have his best performances early in the season.

Goldy takes the role Flip played, and will most likely play whenever he is available to play and outperform Draper in some areas (better tap ruck, more endurance). At the start of the season I'd especially expect him to perform better as he's had all off-season, although Goldy is a left hander which could be interesting for our mids to read off and probably takes time to develop some chemistry 🤔

When they're both playing it will be a match-up thing as to who is in the ruck, who is forward, who is running up and down the wings. In general Draper is a decent mark and a decent kick for goal, does the physical stuff. Goldy is Goldy.

Bryan has been up and coming for a while, and is probably pretty frustrated at the moment... it's up to him to get ahead of Goldy if he wants to play, but I would expect him to fill in whenever the others are injured or ill and hopefully hold down the VFL ruck and push for selection every week. His strengths are more like Goldstein than Draper but he's a work in progress, needs to do more around the ground. If he's ahead of Goldy at the start of season 2024 I would be extremely surprised, but we have high expectations.

Draper is our de facto number 1 ruck, he plays whenever available and not having him has been detrimental to our performances in the past, but he's had an interrupted pre-season so is unlikely to have his best performances early in the season.

Goldy takes the role Flip played, and will most likely play whenever he is available to play and outperform Draper in some areas (better tap ruck, more endurance). At the start of the season I'd especially expect him to perform better as he's had all off-season, although Goldy is a left hander which could be interesting for our mids to read off and probably takes time to develop some chemistry 🤔

When they're both playing it will be a match-up thing as to who is in the ruck, who is forward, who is running up and down the wings. In general Draper is a decent mark and a decent kick for goal, does the physical stuff. Goldy is Goldy.

Bryan has been up and coming for a while, and is probably pretty frustrated at the moment... it's up to him to get ahead of Goldy if he wants to play, but I would expect him to fill in whenever the others are injured or ill and hopefully hold down the VFL ruck and push for selection every week. His strengths are more like Goldstein than Draper but he's a work in progress, needs to do more around the ground. If he's ahead of Goldy at the start of season 2024 I would be extremely surprised, but we have high expectations.
Going into the season, based on the pre-season to date, I reckon Goldy is our no.1. Drapes will benefit from being a second ruck while he gets his rhythm back and maybe he can refine his forward craft in the meantime.

Going into the season, based on the pre-season to date, I reckon Goldy is our no.1. Drapes will benefit from being a second ruck while he gets his rhythm back and maybe he can refine his forward craft in the meantime.
Sorry but the only way Goldy should be getting games is if either Draper or Bryan is injured. We aren't winning anything this year. Investing in Bryan is more important especially since he's entering his 5th year and is looking like he's AFL ready.

Playing Goldy when those two are available (with the exception of them having a significant layoff and needing time in the reserves) would be very silly. Goldy is more value in the VFL alongside Vigo than in the seniors.

Sorry but the only way Goldy should be getting games is if either Draper or Bryan is injured. We aren't winning anything this year. Investing in Bryan is more important especially since he's entering his 5th year and is looking like he's AFL ready.

Playing Goldy when those two are available (with the exception of them having a significant layoff and needing time in the reserves) would be very silly. Goldy is more value in the VFL alongside Vigo than in the seniors.
Goldy will start in the afl squad

McGrath McKay Ridley
Redman Reid Martin
Durham Setterfield Duursma (Tsatas)
Caldwell (Shiel) Wright Gresham
Stringer Draper Langford
Goldstein Merrett Parish

Perkins Shiel Heppell Laverde

Hind/Tsatas/Cox/Hobbs/Menzie/Caddy

Duursma seems to be showing enough on return to pre-season and he will be structurally important.

Hind deserves a spot and is my preferred sub at this point.

Cox is apparently stepping up too which means he’s right in the mix.

Menzie still has a bit to prove to me.

Kelly seems to be of structural importance if Martin is pushing forward out of defence so I don’t rule him out but his deficiencies make me omit him at this point. Will be interesting to see how he gets used as we move toward round 1.
Stringer langford Wright and draper in the forward line, so you want the ball walked to the other end of the ground?

Menzie is a 22 lock, it’s not even a debate at this point.

I don’t disagree with you Eth, in principle, but the way it’s looking, based on pre-season, is Goldy is running hot and Draper has barely competed for a footy in 6 months. I’m going for Goldstein every time ahead of Bryan if Draper is only doing minimal relief ruck early on.

Stringer langford Wright and draper in the forward line, so you want the ball walked to the other end of the ground?

Menzie is a 22 lock, it’s not even a debate at this point.
I love how, by being emphatic, you somehow claim righteous ascendency in a discussion. I’ve said it before, Menzie hasn’t done anything to stake a claim as a sure-thing. I hope he pulls out some great practice match form against the Saints and Cats to do so, but where’s this resumè of brilliance that warrants straight up selection? He’s also hardly a fearsome run-down small forward either. It’s a gap in our list that isn’t owned by Menzie. I’d rather have Hind in there. And if so, you still have Stringer, Langford, Wright and Draper in your 22. I’ve named my best 22/23 and any strategical adjustments are for the coaches to make.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back