Team Mgmt. 2024 Best 22 (or 23)

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how, by being emphatic, you somehow claim righteous ascendency in a discussion. I’ve said it before, Menzie hasn’t done anything to stake a claim as a sure-thing. I hope he pulls out some great practice match form against the Saints and Cats to do so, but where’s this resumè of brilliance that warrants straight up selection? He’s also hardly a fearsome run-down small forward either. It’s a gap in our list that isn’t owned by Menzie. I’d rather have Hind in there. And if so, you still have Stringer, Langford, Wright and Draper in your 22. I’ve named my best 22/23 and any strategical adjustments are for the coaches to make.
Ah he played some good footy last year and was our best small forward easily. we are going to play more than 1 small forward in our 22, so yeh he plays. Yeh they all probably make the 22, but they all aren’t starting in the forward line and our forward line isn’t going to run with 4/6 inside the 50 at once, it’s way too backwards of where afl has gone and you’re just allowing yourself to be opened up on transition rebound.

Caldwell Wright perkins

Gresham langford Menzie

Stringer+ Jones/caddy on the bench rotating through is a much more even forward line mix

Last edited:
Ah he played some good footy last year and was our best small forward easily. we are going to play more than 1 small forward in our 22, so yeh he plays. Yeh they all probably make the 22, but they all aren’t starting in the forward line and our forward line isn’t going to run with 4/6 inside the 50 at once, it’s way too backwards of where afl has gone and you’re just allowing yourself to be opened up on transition rebound.

Caldwell Wright perkins

Gresham langford Menzie

Stringer+ Jones/caddy on the bench rotating through is a much more even forward line mix
Draper will play forward more than you think early on.

I hope like hell that our best small forward goes at better than one goal per game and puts on more pressure than Menzie did last year. It was no great achievement being our best small forward when it’s the weakest part of our team. Hopefully Gresham can bring closer to 2 per game.

Draper will play forward more than you think early on.

I hope like hell that our best small forward goes at better than one goal per game and puts on more pressure than Menzie did last year. It was no great achievement being our best small forward when it’s the weakest part of our team. Hopefully Gresham can bring closer to 2 per game.
Yeh draper can play in the forward line just no at the same time as the other 3, that’s the point. Our best 6 starting forward line should not include draper. And Gresham hasn’t kicked over 1 goal a game for a season since 2018. 23 goals from 21 games in his first proper season of afl is a great starting base (taking into account he was the sub in 2 of those games), it’s not like he’s 26. He’s young and only going to improve.

Last edited:
Yeh draper can play in the forward line just no at the same time as the other 3, that’s the point. Our best 6 starting forward line should not include draper. And Gresham hasn’t kicked over 1 goal a game for a season since 2018. 23 goals from 21 games in his first proper season of afl is a great starting base (taking into account he was the sub in 2 of those games), it’s not like he’s 26. He’s young and only going to improve.
Well, I hope you’re right on Menzie. I’d love to see it. But he’s not a lock and I think someone like Hind would give us more of what we need especially if Gresh can hit the scoreboard like he should be able to.

Well, I hope you’re right on Menzie. I’d love to see it. But he’s not a lock and I think someone like Hind would give us more of what we need especially if Gresh can hit the scoreboard like he should be able to.
Hind is a sub at best or higher up the ground, he doesn’t the small forward nouse and goal sense like Menzie.

Hind is a sub at best or higher up the ground, he doesn’t the small forward nouse and goal sense like Menzie.
Well you either go with someone who has the chase-down speed or you go with Menzie who can kick goals (potentially). If it’s forward pressure we need I’m going with Hind and I’m hoping the goals we didn’t get last year from Gresham, Stringer and Wright will make up for it.

Honestly cant see any of these not best 22

Mckay
Ridley
Redman
Mcgrath
Martin
Laverde

Durham
Zerrett
Parish
Stringer
Setterfield
Hobbs

Caldwell
2MP
Gresham
Langford

73% so yeh 7% behind i guess
I don’t think Laverde is a lock any more as Reid seems to be playing every session as McKays second. That pushes him to 7th defender which might see him lose out to Cox (or sadly Heppell due to being Brads favourite). But it will be interesting to see what Laverde can do without having to take on the big guys.

And I also think one of Caldwell, Hobbs or setterfield might find themselves unlucky most weeks if we stay healthy. It’s hard to squeeze all three of them into wings, bench and forward line. Even harder if you want to play Shiel which I suspect Brad will when fit.

He shouldn't.
My boys all grown up.
bonnie bennett kennett GIF

I don’t think Laverde is a lock any more as Reid seems to be playing every session as McKays second. That pushes him to 7th defender which might see him lose out to Cox (or sadly Heppell due to being Brads favourite). But it will be interesting to see what Laverde can do without having to take on the big guys.

And I also think one of Caldwell, Hobbs or setterfield might find themselves unlucky most weeks if we stay healthy. It’s hard to squeeze all three of them into wings, bench and forward line. Even harder if you want to play Shiel which I suspect Brad will when fit.
nice to read Reid playing every session.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draper is our de facto number 1 ruck, he plays whenever available and not having him has been detrimental to our performances in the past, but he's had an interrupted pre-season so is unlikely to have his best performances early in the season.

Goldy takes the role Flip played, and will most likely play whenever he is available to play and outperform Draper in some areas (better tap ruck, more endurance). At the start of the season I'd especially expect him to perform better as he's had all off-season, although Goldy is a left hander which could be interesting for our mids to read off and probably takes time to develop some chemistry 🤔

When they're both playing it will be a match-up thing as to who is in the ruck, who is forward, who is running up and down the wings. In general Draper is a decent mark and a decent kick for goal, does the physical stuff. Goldy is Goldy.

Bryan has been up and coming for a while, and is probably pretty frustrated at the moment... it's up to him to get ahead of Goldy if he wants to play, but I would expect him to fill in whenever the others are injured or ill and hopefully hold down the VFL ruck and push for selection every week. His strengths are more like Goldstein than Draper but he's a work in progress, needs to do more around the ground. If he's ahead of Goldy at the start of season 2024 I would be extremely surprised, but we have high expectations.

I think it will be a bit different this year. Goldy can't play every week, you wouldn't think. He'll turn 36 towards the end of the season.

As frustrating as it is, I think Draper will also miss quite a few with injury. I wouldn't be surprised to see Draper and Goldy play 18 odd, with 10-odd for Bryan.

With your suggestion, 'it's up to him to get ahead of Goldy', I do think he was a bit stiff in not being ahead of Flip for at least parts of last year. He should have been in based on form. We'll see if Scott changes his approach this year. If Goldy's in better form, then he should absolutely be in - but hopefully he doesn't just get the games because of seniority.

From rounds 6 - 10 last year (1W-4L), Flip averaged less than 5 stats, just over 1 mark, kicked 0.1 and just under 20 hitouts at AFL level. During that period Bryan averaged just less than 18 stats, just over 4 marks and 38.5 hitouts at VFL level.

Sorry but the only way Goldy should be getting games is if either Draper or Bryan is injured. We aren't winning anything this year. Investing in Bryan is more important especially since he's entering his 5th year and is looking like he's AFL ready.

Playing Goldy when those two are available (with the exception of them having a significant layoff and needing time in the reserves) would be very silly. Goldy is more value in the VFL alongside Vigo than in the seniors.
Agreed. So many track watchers' reports this preseason have made the comment that Bryan has broken even with Goldstein. Sounds ready. Needs games.

Not sure when we can expect a fully fit Shiel now. I assume by maybe round 6 ish after a solid bit of work

I think either theyre pretty happy with what the 22 are doing without him and were doing well success wise, or were struggling and we maybe need to focus pretty quickly to kids like Tsatas, Caddy, Cox, Bryan, H.Jones, Davey ect

He could find himself in an awkward position

Not sure when we can expect a fully fit Shiel now. I assume by maybe round 6 ish after a solid bit of work

I think either theyre pretty happy with what the 22 are doing without him and were doing well success wise, or were struggling and we maybe need to focus pretty quickly to kids like Tsatas, Caddy, Cox, Bryan, H.Jones, Davey ect

He could find himself in an awkward position
Sheil says round 1, but I doubt it - we've already got a battle for selection, so no point rushing him in at all. I would like to think that he Heppell, Kelly and Goldstein are depth, and that we look to continue development of the young group you refer to... but we'll have to see - I suspect they will

Sheil says round 1, but I doubt it - we've already got a battle for selection, so no point rushing him in at all. I would like to think that he Heppell, Kelly and Goldstein are depth, and that we look to continue development of the young group you refer to... but we'll have to see - I suspect they will
Round 1 may also mean VFL and 3-4 week plan in there pending injury and results

He’ll be nowhere near the the team r1, maybe r1 vfl. He hasn’t been in full training all summer, he’s got a ways to go yet,

I will be so happy if we don't play Laverde. He was abysmal in the back half of last year.

I think it will be Tsatas not playing R1. Kelly has been doing everything right and allowed Martin to play his role.
Agree, Shiel won't quite make it.

Changes all the time but feel like Durham at 185cm/84kg with his elite running, ability to play inside and general attack at the contest will be our ruck rover in 2024. Lav still a lock for me also so round 1 team;-

Ridley McKay Lav
Redman Reid McGrath
Martin Parish Duursma
Perkins Jones Gresham
Langford 2MP Menzie

Goldy Durham Merrett

Bench: Setterfield Caldwell Kelly Stringer
SUB: Heppell

Emergency: Hobbs Shiel Hind Draper

Changes all the time but feel like Durham at 185cm/84kg with his elite running, ability to play inside and general attack at the contest will be our ruck rover in 2024. Lav still a lock for me also so round 1 team;-

Ridley McKay Lav
Redman Reid McGrath
Martin Parish Duursma
Perkins Jones Gresham
Langford 2MP Menzie

Goldy Durham Merrett

Bench: Setterfield Caldwell Kelly Stringer
SUB: Heppell

Emergency: Hobbs Shiel Hind Draper

Think this will be very close to the Round 1 side.

The only small gripe I have is with Draper - if he's fit enough to play, he's first ruck. If he's not, he's either on the sidelines or potentially brought back through the VFL.

B- Ridley McKay McGrath
HB- Redman Reid Martin
C- Duursma Parish Durham
HF- Caldwell Langford Perkins
F- Gresham Wright Menzie
FOLL- Draper Hobbs Merrett
I/C- Stringer, Tsatsas, Goldstein, Setterfield
Sub- Hind

Emergencies- Caddy, Cox, Guelfi, Shiel, Heppell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back