2024 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Bumping after our latest match sim

No Flynn (injury), BWilliams moves into the ruck and Jamieson comes in on the bench. Assumes Gov, Brockman, and JJones will be available.

FB - Cole Barrass Hough
HB - Hunt Gov Duggan
C - Gaff Reid Chesser
HF - Long Darling Cripps
FF - Brockman Allen Waterman
R - BWilliams Kelly Yeo
Int - Witherden Ginbey Jamieson Petruccelle
SUB - JJones
You reckon Jamo gets a gig after last night? Would have expected us to replace Flynn with somebody who can be the ruck/fwd that BW was gonna be.
Jamo would be better off going back to the WAFL to practice as a KPD id have thought.
Maybe Waterman is the pinch hit ruck, letting Maric keep his spot?

Best 22 with players available

Cole Barrass J.Jones
Hough Gov Duggan

Hunt Kelly Chesser
B.Williams Yeo Ginbey

Long Darling Cripps
Maric Allen Brockman

Petch Waterman Reid Gaff

Waterman to chop out in the ruck and fill in where needed.

Waterman to chop out in the ruck and fill in where needed.

We have eight guys 198-203cm. Even with Flynn available we still needed to be thinking of who are we developing to follow him - or to step in if Flynn or BW get injured. I can see the immediate logic of the 'chop out' but it doesn't really help us much in the longer term.
Our no.3 or even no.4 ruckman might be no worse than a 'chop out' ruckman and they'd at least be getting experience in the big time. In the deep end I know but desperate times ...

We have eight guys 198-203cm. Even with Flynn available we still needed to be thinking of who are we developing to follow him - or to step in if Flynn or BW get injured. I can see the immediate logic of the 'chop out' but it doesn't really help us much in the longer term.
Our no.3 or even no.4 ruckman might be no worse than a 'chop out' ruckman and they'd at least be getting experience in the big time. In the deep end I know but desperate times ...
Waterman as the chop out helps keeps Maric in the side. Barnett/Livingstone/JWilliams are all lower priority right now to Maric I think

Bumping after our latest match sim

No Flynn (injury), BWilliams moves into the ruck and Jamieson comes in on the bench. Assumes Gov, Brockman, and JJones will be available.

FB - Cole Barrass Hough
HB - Hunt Gov Duggan
C - Gaff Reid Chesser
HF - Long Darling Cripps
FF - Brockman Allen Waterman
R - BWilliams Kelly Yeo
Int - Witherden Ginbey Jamieson Petruccelle
SUB - JJones
I think with no Baz up forward, Maric has to play. Not sure who at the expense of.

Jones Barrass Hough
Duggan McGovern Hunt
Gaff Kelly Edwards
Long Darling Brockman
Waterman Allan Cripps

Williams Yeo Ginbey
I: Reid Chesser Rawlinson Livingstone

E: Petch (only because I couldn't think of anyone else)

Livingstone pick is out there but he can pinch hit in the ruck and play forward, big lad for a 18 year old.
If Petch only wants to use his pace once or twice a game, he can play WAFL or be an emergency.
Witherden should only be used if injuries are a problem.
If Gov is out injured, Jamieson at CHB he didn't look out of place.
I like Maric and I would play him if Baz could ruck all day.

Again this is not what I would do but what I think Simpson will pick.

Forwards - Allen, Darling, Maric, Waterman, Cripps, Long, Brockman

Ruck - B.Williams

Midfielders - Yeo, Kelly, Gibney, Duggan, Petruccelle, Gaff, Hunt

Defenders - Barrass, McGovern, Hough, Witherden, Cole, Reid, Jones

Sub - L.Edwards Emergencies - Chesser, Jamieson, Rawlinson

Waterman is having a good preseason and will play ruck support. The options are to leave out Maric and play a smaller fwd Rawlinson or play a 2nd ruck Jamieson, but Maric is the future of the forward line alongside Allen and they want to give him games.

Gaff and Hunt on the wings, the other option being Hunt to half back Jones to sub and L.Edwards on the wing. Duggan and Reid to rotate from mid to def.

I couldn't see any plan to play Jamieson down back during the preseason, it happened because McGovern, Bazzo and H.Edwards were all unavailable. The plan seemed to be Hough and Witherden alongside Barrass and McGovern similar to 2018 with Hough playing the Sheppard role locking down dangerous fwds and Witherden playing Hurn's role playing on the weaker taller targets and looking to run off them like he did against Lobb last year.

View attachment 1919440

This looks about right, although I’d personally go L Edwards over Maric who I see as competing for one spot with Waterman

Ok. J Jones.

Not injured...not named...even as an emergency.

Did his dog dry hump Simo's or something at the beach run?

Something strange there.

Ok. J Jones.

Not injured...not named...even as an emergency.

Did his dog dry hump Simo's or something at the beach run?

Something strange there.
I totes agree. Strange indeed. He is the most exciting defender we've had since Lewis Jetta. There could be something rather strange and unseen behind closed doors. Or maybe the coaches are a bit rubbish and want to keep their slow kick, mark style & too tall style, rather than aggressive and exciting football that most of the rest of the league does now.

Thought I would have one last crack before round 1 (Hoping for no injuries in the next week :rolleyes:)

This is what I think the MC will go with and not necessarily what I am hoping for.

AFL
FB Witherden Barrass Hough
CHB Duggan McGovern Hunt
C Gaff Yeo LEdwards
CHF Long Darling Cripps
FF Brockman Allen Waterman
R BWilliams Kelly Reid
INT Cole Ginbey Jameson Petrucelli
SUB Chesser
Travelling EMG JJones

Playing WAFL
FB
CHB Burgeil Rotham Baker
C Johnston Trew
CHF Dewar Maric Rawlinson
FF Livingston JWilliams
R Barnett Hall

Really hope Chess isn't sub or travelling emergency, but at this stage I don't think he is in the 22, but is comfortably in the 24.

WAFL team, whilst young it will be nice to field 10 - 12 AFL listed players, with a few more on the brink of returning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are probably 3 questions heading into the season - what to do with the 2nd Ruck, where to play Chesser and will Jones play or Edwards.

1st - The 2nd Ruck. I still think that Maric will play. He is an elite young talent, who they will want to play all season. So it comes down to Waterman as ruck support or Jamieson. Ruck versus more forward power and flexibility around the ground. I think they choose Waterman and back Williams to be much better in the ruck next game.

2nd - Chesser. It looked to me that he was playing a wing / inside mid role more than pure wing, which suits him a lot better as he struggles out on the wing for the whole game and he gets a chance to see more ball. That means he will be the 7th mid which seems to be Petruccelle's current role. Petruccelle played fwd more last game, I can see Chesser as mid Petruccelle fwd and Brockman sub as he will being lacking match fitness.

3rd - Jones or Edwards. A lot of it depends what they want to do with Hunt. Hunt in defence and Edwards wing or Hunt wing and Jones back. It is hard to tell with Jones if injury was the reason he was left out and managed in the WAFL or if they have decided Hunt in defence is what they want.

Backs: Barrass, McGovern, Hough, Duggan, Witherden, Cole, Hunt
Mids: Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Ginbey, Gaff, Chesser
Rucks: Williams, Barnett
Forwards: Allen, Darling, Waterman, Cripps, Long, Brockman, Petruccelle
Sub: Ledwards
Emergencies: Maric, Jamieson, Jones

Barnett to partner Williams because why not, may as well use this opportunity to get some games into him.

Maric unlucky, left out for team balance. Jones I assume is struggling after an interrupted pre season and that’s why he played WAFL instead of facing Adelaide. Chesser gets the final spot over Edwards who can be sub.

Backs: Barrass, McGovern, Hough, Duggan, Witherden, Cole, Hunt
Mids: Yeo, Kelly, Reid, Ginbey, Gaff, Chesser
Rucks: Williams, Barnett
Forwards: Allen, Darling, Waterman, Cripps, Long, Brockman, Petruccelle
Sub: Ledwards
Emergencies: Maric, Jamieson, Jones

Barnett to partner Williams because why not, may as well use this opportunity to get some games into him.

Maric unlucky, left out for team balance. Jones I assume is struggling after an interrupted pre season and that’s why he played WAFL instead of facing Adelaide. Chesser gets the final spot over Edwards who can be sub.
Would be happy to see Barnett play. This would then allow BWilliams to play more forward, than if Jamo is playing.

1st - The 2nd Ruck. I still think that Maric will play. He is an elite young talent, who they will want to play all season. So it comes down to Waterman as ruck support or Jamieson. Ruck versus more forward power and flexibility around the ground. I think they choose Waterman and back Williams to be much better in the ruck next game.

2nd - Chesser. It looked to me that he was playing a wing / inside mid role more than pure wing, which suits him a lot better as he struggles out on the wing for the whole game and he gets a chance to see more ball. That means he will be the 7th mid which seems to be Petruccelle's current role. Petruccelle played fwd more last game, I can see Chesser as mid Petruccelle fwd and Brockman sub as he will being lacking match fitness.

3rd - Jones or Edwards. A lot of it depends what they want to do with Hunt. Hunt in defence and Edwards wing or Hunt wing and Jones back. It is hard to tell with Jones if injury was the reason he was left out and managed in the WAFL or if they have decided Hunt in defence is what they want.
As far as the ruck goes I want to know what the MCs strategy is: do we trial a pinch hitter like Waterman or do we use the time to assist in the development of our third ruck?

Flynn will be out for far more than a week or two. As such I can’t see the point of a pinch hitter for several weeks unless it is the MC’s preferred strategy for the longer term.

I’m really not sure Jamo is up to AFL but he’s contracted for two more seasons (why??) so I guess the MC might try to get a sense if he’s improving. Or we can trial Barnett.

Jack Petruccelle guys?

i looked back from page 1 here & he wasnt getting much love,thought it might change since the match sim and praccy match,but not really

he is available in a lot of draft leagues as a free agent & is one of the more intriguing,anything in it that he could play more midfield?or are they just sick of bullshxxxing us with rayner,so he is their new boy now?

is he at least a lock for best 22 most weeks?

thanks for doing these teams(unlike the swans)

cheers

Jack Petruccelle guys?

i looked back from page 1 here & he wasnt getting much love,thought it might change since the match sim and praccy match,but not really

he is available in a lot of draft leagues as a free agent & is one of the more intriguing,anything in it that he could play more midfield?or are they just sick of bullshxxxing us with rayner,so he is their new boy now?

cheers
I think he will definitely start the year, but is towards the bottom end of our best 22 for round 1.

With Sheed + Ryan potentially available in round 4-5 and young guys like Clay Hall and potentially Cambell Chesser outside the best 22 to start, he will need to perform to hold his spot.

I think he will definitely start the year, but is towards the bottom end of our best 22 for round 1.

With Sheed + Ryan potentially available in round 4-5 and young guys like Clay Hall and potentially Campbell Chesser outside the best 22 to start, he will need to perform to hold his spot.
A good thang too!...pressure from depth..much needed, didn't have this last season.

Jack Petruccelle guys?

cheers
I dont think he provides much other than being a senior mature body. Hes not amazing at anything but can fill a role forward or mid if needed. Once some of our mids come back from injury he probably loses his spot
Dont think he scores much at all if youre interested in him for fantasy. The 53 hes priced at is probably close to where he ends up

Jack Petruccelle guys?

cheers
List clogger, not up to afl standard is still signed till end of 2025 I think so trade bait best case scenario

Will play early on while sheed, Hewett etc come back from injury. Would be a fringe player in any good vfl/wafl team

Thought I would have one last crack before round 1 (Hoping for no injuries in the next week :rolleyes:)

This is what I think the MC will go with and not necessarily what I am hoping for.

AFL
FB Witherden Barrass Hough
CHB Duggan McGovern Hunt
C Gaff Yeo LEdwards
CHF Long Darling Cripps
FF Brockman Allen Waterman
R BWilliams Kelly Reid
INT Cole Ginbey Jameson Petrucelli
SUB Chesser
Travelling EMG JJones

Playing WAFL
FB
CHB Burgeil Rotham Baker
C Johnston Trew
CHF Dewar Maric Rawlinson
FF Livingston JWilliams
R Barnett Hall

Really hope Chess isn't sub or travelling emergency, but at this stage I don't think he is in the 22, but is comfortably in the 24.

WAFL team, whilst young it will be nice to field 10 - 12 AFL listed players, with a few more on the brink of returning.
I am glad I am on the same page as the MC. Hoping Chess is in the 22 and LEdwards is sub, but will wait an see.

Only one I missed on was the travelling EMG.

One last crack before round 1, who do we go for as our 1st pick, team on paper looks very weak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back