Fogarty
Cowan
Binns

đź’™

That's a very strong side

Kennedy, Pitto, Cottrell very unlucky

I'd have Pitto, Cotts over JSos and Owies

But flick of the coin stuff

If Hollands goes into the middle who takes the other wing? Docherty? Binns? Cottrell?
could see it being a small role, similar to DC/Fog/etc, so ballpark of 4 CBA per game. Whoever is the 3rd player rotating to cover the wing when Acres or Hollands aren't there would only have to spend an extra ~15% TOG on the wing (instead of half forward or similar, where they already would have been likely spending most of their time).

I can't see Hollands formerly going into the midfield more than minor minutes and any more than 7/8 other players. Club needs to let him learn the wing position which suits him due to physical size/endurance. If like Acres he wants to physically compete, he can do that on the wing like Acres does. No need at all to rush him given our more experienced players.

The open question is Docherty vs Hollands starting the wing in 2024 and what happens to the player when they don't start the wing. Bench probably. Doch with his utility value could start elsewhere.

B: McGovern Weitering Boyd
HB: Saad Marchbank Williams
C: Docherty Cripps Acres
HF: Martin McKay EHollands
F: Motlop Charlie Fantasia
R: TDK Walsh Cerra
Int: Newman Hewett OHollands
JSOS Owies

Unlucky:
Kennedy
Durdin
Cottrell
Pittonet
Cuningham
Kemp
Cincotta
Fogarty
Cowan
Binns

đź’™

Great side…

One change: if fit Cunners plays!

Reckon Billy Wilson is a watch this space type. Reckon he has loads of talent and is exactly what the team needs in the middle. See the recruiters and the coach emphasising that he has pace and agility on draft night, we need it, we are looking for it and if it's available then we will see it IMO.

Cant see us losing tbh.

X. Saad Weitering Kemp
X. Doc Marchy. Newman
X. Acres - Cripps. - dutchy1
X. Fog Curnow. JMartin
X. Jsos Mckay. C.Durdin

X TDK “Chair-ah” Walsh

X. Boyd cunners cotters kennedy

Emg. Mots. George pit Sdurdin

(I know, no gov and williams, yep)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wow this is tough. It’s really going to come down to how the coaches want to play and what they prioritise in certain positions.

The unquestionable locks. These blokes are playing in a specific position even if they are carrying something. Not up for debate.

B: - Weitering Saad
HB: - - -
C: - Cripps Acres
HF: - McKay -
F: - Charlie -
R: - Walsh Cerra
Int: - - - Doc

I’ve put Doc on the bench as who knows where he’s playing. But he will be playing.

The likely locks. These blokes will probably play in these positions all year based on last years form and projected form. I’d be pretty shocked if they didn’t.

HB: Newman - McGovern
C: - Cripps Acres
HF: Martin McKay -
F: - Charlie -
Int: - - - Doc

The probables. These blokes will probably start and play a good chunk of the season but can see them coming in and out of the team based on form.

HB: Newman - McGovern
C: O. Hollands Cripps Acres
HF: Martin McKay -
F: - Charlie Motlop
Int: - - Hewitt Doc

I think it would be hard to argue the above isn’t the foundations for everyone’s best 22. Some people might prefer Pitto over TDK but after the final series I don’t see how. The question is do they play Pitto with TDK or go one out.

The remaining spots are the hard part.

Backline

If Williams is fit he plays. He’s a class above the others and can play on your Dusty, Degoey’s ect that float through the forward line. A question of fitness. Do they go with the four talls and play Marchbank and Kemp? Or do they go with a Boyd for a smaller look. Can Cowan break in? It probably all depends on opponent which should see Marchbank, Kemp and Boyd all get a crack.

Midfield

Kennedy replaces Hewitt subject to form. The remaining midfield rotations will come from Doc and two of the forwards.

Forwards

Pressure is king. I think Fogarty has to play that high pressure forward who can pinch hit in the midfield. I’ve included E. Hollands over Cuningham as the other fwd/mid on the assumption he’s better around the goals. If Motlop can’t step up and contribute more goals we’ll need to consider Fantasia.

My Best 22. I would roll this out but consider the above depending on opponent.

B: Williams Weitering Saad
HB: Newman Marchbank McGovern
C: O. Hollands Cripps Acres
HF: Martin McKay Fogarty
F: E. Hollands Charlie Motlop
Int: Silvangi Kemp Hewitt Doc
Sub: Cottrell

Silvangi and Cottrell included for their versatility. Kemp’s a tough one, I really like him and I’m assuming he’s going to go up another level. I think he releases other backs which gives us a more dynamic look.

Others who will play or could replace someone in the above 22.

Kennedy, Fantasia, C. Durdin, Pitto, Cuningham, Boyd, Cincotta, Owies

Happy for the following to develop/sit in the 2’s all year but could see them getting a game due to injuries.

Cowan, Carroll, Binns, Young, Wilson, S. Durdin, Moir.

The rest of the blokes should play 2’s all year.

B: Boyd Weitering Saad
HB: Williams McGovern Newman
C: Acres Cripps Cottrell
HF: Docherty McKay Martin
F: Motlop Charlie Fantasia
Int: Marchbank OHollands JSOS EHollands
EMG: Hewett

I think we'll primarily go for a pacey hard running side and slower/bigger/harder players will be used when we need to outbody OP.

I originally had Ollie on the park ahead of Cottrell but Cotters has the ability to go forward and have an impact, so I think Ollie will be used in bursts. I can't see Doc playing across HB this year (Although he may start there if Williams isn't ready early) and I think he'll be primarily used as a forward/mid, with his leadership guiding the smalls in the fwd line.

Elijah Hollands has the skills but I don't think he'll start on the Park straight away until he's shown us something.

I suspect George will be used as a Mr. Fixit due to his versatility so will frequently be used as an emergency this year.

Consistency will be the thing that keeps players in the starting 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Williams is fit he plays. He’s a class above the others and can play on your Dusty, Degoey’s ect that float through the forward line. A question of fitness. Do they go with the four talls and play Marchbank and Kemp? Or do they go with a Boyd for a smaller look. Can Cowan break in? It probably all depends on opponent which should see Marchbank, Kemp and Boyd all get a crack.

[/QUOTE]

Great post

My contention is with the part above re z.williams.
It could be that memory evades me, or that those memories have been placed at the bottom of a vast pile labelled “trauma bin.” Though, i still contest that williams while fit for us had the status of: almost whipping boy.

The consensus at the time round these parts seemed to be, “ lol wtf we got this guy for footskills,” and, “where tf is williams” when opposing half forwards would stream toward goal.

He would hack kick out of pressure and contests over and over and didnt have the defensive 1v1 nous and angst the position requires.

I can almost recall groans at the ground when the ball was kicked oobotf

I look forward to having my perception changed come pre season matches. Posting to see if i am alone in my memory of him and to promote discussion. I query if hes at the top of consideration in the position he plays to say the least. I would much rather a boyd for instance.

But thats likely already been made clear.

Peace out

Great post

My contention is with the part above re z.williams.
It could be that memory evades me, or that those memories have been placed at the bottom of a vast pile labelled “trauma bin.” Though, i still contest that williams while fit for us had the status of: almost whipping boy.

The consensus at the time round these parts seemed to be, “ lol wtf we got this guy for footskills,” and, “where tf is williams” when opposing half forwards would stream toward goal.

He would hack kick out of pressure and contests over and over and didnt have the defensive 1v1 nous and angst the position requires.

I can almost recall groans at the ground when the ball was kicked oobotf

I look forward to having my perception changed come pre season matches. Posting to see if i am alone in my memory of him and to promote discussion. I query if hes at the top of consideration in the position he plays to say the least. I would much rather a boyd for instance.

But thats likely already been made clear.

Peace out

Zac did present poorly in his first season. Think it was a perfect storm of Covid lockdowns and an extended stay at his mum/sister’s border town home when his sister, as became common knowledge later was diagnosed with terminal illness.
Not good presented poorly, but perhaps some mitigating circumstances around the time.

Two severe injuries during his time with us. Managed to return for an impressive large season cameo in 2022.Was “absolutely flying” this time last year before doing his ACL at the QLD training camp. Is currently in very good Knick and dedicated to the cause, doing some good off field work within the group at the pointy end of the season.

Is in the absolute top echelon of rebounding backmen in the competition. Coaches have confirmed our wish list of him playing midfield is over and he will revert to his “natural” position off half back.

He absolutely presented poorly in his first season after being given a spectacular pay packet for coming over through free agency. His injury history was well known and our club proceeded with the deal (suspect the follicles challenged one was the driving force). Achilles and ACL injuries certainly place queries on a player’s longevity and viability, but if he is/gets fully fit, we absolutely get an All Australian quality rebounding distributor.

Not sure where you pulled perception of poor disposal from, but I absolutely refute this. Will add “layers”, and if fit, there is no question over his selection, despite a number of deserving alternatives being available.

Zac did present poorly in his first season. Think it was a perfect storm of Covid lockdowns and an extended stay at his mum/sister’s border town home when his sister, as became common knowledge later was diagnosed with terminal illness.
Not good presented poorly, but perhaps some mitigating circumstances around the time.

Two severe injuries during his time with us. Managed to return for an impressive large season cameo in 2022.Was “absolutely flying” this time last year before doing his ACL at the QLD training camp. Is currently in very good Knick and dedicated to the cause, doing some good off field work within the group at the pointy end of the season.

Is in the absolute top echelon of rebounding backmen in the competition. Coaches have confirmed our wish list of him playing midfield is over and he will revert to his “natural” position off half back.

He absolutely presented poorly in his first season after being given a spectacular pay packet for coming over through free agency. His injury history was well known and our club proceeded with the deal (suspect the follicles challenged one was the driving force). Achilles and ACL injuries certainly place queries on a player’s longevity and viability, but if he is/gets fully fit, we absolutely get an All Australian quality rebounding distributor.

Not sure where you pulled perception of poor disposal from, but I absolutely refute this. Will add “layers”, and if fit, there is no question over his selection, despite a number of deserving alternatives being available.

IMG_2115.JPG

Almost 3 clangers per game in 2022.
Also average disposal efficiency in 2022 and below average in 2021.
I guess i just dont rate training form while you do. Genuinely look forward to being proved wrong if we get the player you are seeing.

He has a tendency at times to just hack it on the boot when under pressure likes a few of our guys. That said, it is more of an issue when he is playing midfield as he has less space then when hes running from defence. Is much cleaner when playing halfback.

View attachment 1879257

Almost 3 clangers per game in 2022.
Also average disposal efficiency in 2022 and below average in 2021.
I guess i just dont rate training form while you do. Genuinely look forward to being proved wrong if we get the player you are seeing.

It's only a slight issue with the clangers i personally think given what else he offers.

Saad averaged 2.0 clangers per game in 2023 and I love what he offers us in totality. Zac's career clanger average is 2.4 which seems more acceptable than what you have shown.

Cripps in a different role averaged 3.9 clangers on footywire which is very high and on the eye he was in the open quite a few times with his clangers. We still like what Cripps offers despite that clanger count.

I think the clangers for Zac is a small issue.

He has a tendency at times to just hack it on the boot when under pressure likes a few of our guys. That said, it is more of an issue when he is playing midfield as he has less space then when hes running from defence. Is much cleaner when playing halfback.
This is true of a lot of players regardless of skill level, but I think it mostly reflects the psyche of the team at the time.
When a team is not performing well, the pressure seems to always be on individuals, albeit perceived or physical pressure from the OP.

The more cohesive, well drilled, and confident a team becomes, the less of the 'throw it on the boot' you'll see.
More likely the opposite is true, and a lot more players will back themselves to take the OP on.

I'm betting that when fully fit and match conditioned again, Zac will become a vital cog in our team play, and will be our best distributor.

Hard, but here’s a go at it :

Assumptions:
  • all players fit, ie. ignoring any unavailability etc
  • form based on most recent games (for those who’ve been out a lot, eg Zac, Boyd, Jack M, Marchy etc)

McGov Weitering Boyd
Saad Marchbank Williams
Acres Cripps O.Hollands
Martin Harry Fog
Motlop Charlie C.Durdin
TDK Walsh Cerra

Newman (B), Hewett (M), Orazio (F), Doc (U), E.Hollands (HF/M)/
Cottrell (W/HF) — one of EH of Cotts depending latest form !

*to go into team depending Oppo\matchup game style, or injury:
Kennedy
Kemp
JSOS
Pitto
SDurdin
Owies
Cunners
Cowan
Cincotta

Last edited:
For thes first time I can remember a Best 22 is nearly impossible to pick. Previously, I have put players in I didn't rate. Now I can't fit in players I do rate

The core is Weitering Saad Cripps Acres Walsh Charlie McKay Cerra then it's up in the air with 30 players fighting for 15-16 other spots

That is a massive positive for us. Competition for spots is what makes great sides

Fitness as well. He was getting tired easily. Now the fittest I have seen. I think his disposal will improve because of it

Correct. He also walked into a club with a very poor culture and poorly coached with poor standards. That is not the case now

Dont care Weitering McGovern
Williams
Dont care Saad

Acres Cripps
DOnt care
TDK Walsh Cerra

Martin Harry
Dont care
Dont care Charlie Dont care

IC: Docherty Silvagni dont care and dont care and dont care

EM: dont care

I See 14 ish players who are as good if not better than any opponent they will come across - leaving 9 others to be picked according to form and opposition matchups. The smartest thing Malthouse ever said is that a team needs 7-8 A graders to be a contender - we have that covered.

It is the best depth Carlton has had in 20 years - only fitness/injury stands between the wins required to establish the side as a genuine contender-- finishing top2.

the single most important ingredient to our side is that we now know how to win - and we like it..............me too.........losing is just something that we used to know.........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back