Prediction 2024 Best 23

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm struggling to pick my run on 22 for Opening Round. Logic says that a winning Grand Final team is largely unchanged, therefore you would only have the obvious replacement of Schultz for Ginnivan. That still leaves Lipinski as the Sub from the GF team and based on his preseason form that is unlikely. So, if Lippa comes into the run on side, who goes to the sub position? Quite the quandry.
It's looking more likely that Murphy won't 'get up' for the first game either so a slot becomes available. Does Lippa come in and then we have one of McRae, McInnes or Johnson as the sub? Given GWS' forward line you'd think Dean would come in to replace Murph or Frampton get swung down back, leaving a slot up forward. If Frampton was to be moved down back then you could argue that eithr Reef or AJ comes in. That still leaves the question over the sub. I suspect that we will look for a little more run and carry option in the early rounds so Lippa comes in, WHE stays in and Frampton goes back.

Therefore, my predicted 23 for opening round:

B: Quaynor, Moore, Howe
HB: Maynard, Frampton, Markov
C: Sidebottom, Pendlebury, J. Daicos
HF: Hill, Mihocek, Elliot
F: McCreery, DeGoey, Schultz
R: Cox, N. Daicos, Crisp
Int: Mitchell, Cameron, WHE, Lipinski
Sub: Fin Macrae

Jeez, I'd hate to be a selector!

I'm struggling to pick my run on 22 for Opening Round. Logic says that a winning Grand Final team is largely unchanged, therefore you would only have the obvious replacement of Schultz for Ginnivan. That still leaves Lipinski as the Sub from the GF team and based on his preseason form that is unlikely. So, if Lippa comes into the run on side, who goes to the sub position? Quite the quandry.
It's looking more likely that Murphy won't 'get up' for the first game either so a slot becomes available. Does Lippa come in and then we have one of McRae, McInnes or Johnson as the sub? Given GWS' forward line you'd think Dean would come in to replace Murph or Frampton get swung down back, leaving a slot up forward. If Frampton was to be moved down back then you could argue that eithr Reef or AJ comes in. That still leaves the question over the sub. I suspect that we will look for a little more run and carry option in the early rounds so Lippa comes in, WHE stays in and Frampton goes back.

Therefore, my predicted 23 for opening round:

B: Quaynor, Moore, Howe
HB: Maynard, Frampton, Markov
C: Sidebottom, Pendlebury, J. Daicos
HF: Hill, Mihocek, Elliot
F: McCreery, DeGoey, Schultz
R: Cox, N. Daicos, Crisp
Int: Mitchell, Cameron, WHE, Lipinski
Sub: Fin Macrae

Jeez, I'd hate to be a selector!

I don't think Frampton plays here. I think we go small down back, which we often did last year anyway.
The only change to the above is that we pick AJ/Reef instead of Frampton.

i dont like the idea of going into this game with the only talls in defence being Darcy and Jem Howe (who is not truly a tall defender). We definitely need another genuine tall.
I am not rapt with the idea of Frampton playing purely as a tall defender: i don't think he plays at his best in such a role. To me, he is a second ruck option...he seems to enjoy the flexibility and freedom that such a role entails.
I would be selecting Charlie Dean to make his debut...Why not? He has had a clear preseason, and he is at the age when his body is ready for AFL. If not now, when? In the first round, all teams are slightly off and rusty, - selecting him for Round 1 is not equivalent to throwing him in off the deep end.
I would also give AJ the first crack at filling Dan McStay's role. His athleticism and flashes of brilliance throughout his career thus far have won me over. This is his chance to reach for the stars, and cement his place in the team.

For me, best 23 for Round 1, would include Charlie Dean and Ash Johnson.
Sub : Finn McCrae who has the chance to demonstrate why he should be top 22.
John Noble is a razor's edge from being in contention as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back