Opinion 2024 captain

who should captain Richmond in 2024

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

reckon they missed out by not giving the captaincy to lynchy, i 100% thought he was a shoe in for it as if i remember correctly in the offseason that cotch stepped down some draftee mentioned lynch was the first one to call him up and congratulate him. and now he's having coulthard crash at his joint in the meantime. plus he usually gets involved with the womens team too

obviously he would've been injured all this year but he played most of last year and we could have just had a vice captain step up instead of having 2 captains, i always hated when teams would do co-captains or have an 11 person leadership group

plus lynch was the suns captain so he would've been the perfect intermediary/transitional captain while we workout who our next one would be

my pick now would be taranto, just feels right but idk how he is in regards to leadership

hopefully ross can become an inside mid over the off season and keep improving his game so in the coming years he'd have a chance to make his way in to the leadership group as i really rate the way he carries himself and speaks in interviews. plus he's had a tough and resilient journey so far in his career, coming from missing the AFL/VFL grand final in 2019, to being starved in dimmas basement and made in to a flanker/wing, being in a constant flux of being the sub & dropped to the vfl to now getting consistent games and being one of the only positives to come out of this season. obviously he's not good enough right now and might not ever be good enough as a player but i wouldn't be surprised if later he can work his way in to a lesser leadership position.

Captaincy should be someone who has come through our system and can drive our culture .
Not someone who has been traded in on a lucrative contract .
Means absolutely nothing if he shows leadership , leads by example and drives standards and a culture no issue.

The club got it wrong with 2 captains Grimes and Nank. They we're never captain material and I don’t care what the players voted.Poor decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Captaincy should be someone who has come through our system and can drive our culture .
Not someone who has been traded in on a lucrative contract .

That would rule out Lynch and Taranto.
So we can have a bloke recruited on a small deal like Nankervis as captain? I think your logic is illogical as it should always be the best leader on your list and hopefully for a longer period.
Saying this two co-captains don’t equal one captain.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Means absolutely nothing if he shows leadership , leads by example and drives standards and a culture no issue.

The club got it wrong with 2 captains Grimes and Nank. They were never captain material and I don’t care what the players voted.Poor decision.
When it comes to a young player considering to stay at Richmond on a lesser offer to collectively drive improvement within the group , or taking a greater offer from a rival club , what sought of standard do you think Taranto could drive , 1 year into a 7 year contract ?
To win premiership / premierships it requires players and sometimes the best players , to give up money to stay together .

Taranto the obvious choice. Leads by example plays hard footy, well spoken and solid citizen. Doesn't hurt that he showed everyone up by smashing the entire team in the preseason trials. Takes pressure in his stride. Also very importantly he nails clutch goals. Lynch or Baker as VC.

Last edited:
Bigfooty has spoken with 33 votes, Baker will be made captain beginning this weekend lol. The right result. 😉
Announce baker captain , mini coach and a new jumper sponsor .
Groupie_
spew jay leno GIF

Back