Coach 2024 Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Will we be looking at bringing Andrew McQualter into the club after he missed out on the Richmond job? Lyon admitted last year that he went very hard at getting him across this year.the question is, where would he fit in?

Our line coaches are likely not going anywhere but that does not mean a job can't be created for him. Every club has a different set up some having more roles than others.

“I tried to pinch him to be honest. He probably never told the Tigers that,” Lyon said.

“We sort of went pretty hard. If I was going anywhere else I had him lined up to come - if I could get him.”

Mini to come in and hopefully be in charge of ball movement. That first game we played against them this year when they went from down 4 goals to up by 4 goals in what felt like 5 minutes is what we need.

Reckon Banger could potentially take a director of coaching type role given his experience. McQualter will want a senior assistant gig.

Coming to work with Lyon would be a smart move for Mini - he clearly knows the offensive/transition game plan well but could probably round out his CV with some experience in a strong defensive system.

Reckon Banger could potentially take a director of coaching type role given his experience. McQualter will want a senior assistant gig.

Coming to work with Lyon would be a smart move for Mini - he clearly knows the offensive/transition game plan well but could probably round out his CV with some experience in a strong defensive system.

Both Banger and Mini might have senior coach aspirations, and director of coaching probably ends that.

Doesn't have to be. He could be a career senior assistant. No issues with that, some people are more tailored for the role. I just want good people in our organisation.

Oh for sure.

I was responding to the previous post that suggested a 'Director of Coaching' position would mean Rob Harvey removing himself from any potential HC jobs in the future.

I don't think he's ever going to get hired as a head coach. He always missing some key attribute and the longer it goes on, the more options open up for younger guys coming through the system.

Oh for sure.

I was responding to the previous post that suggested a 'Director of Coaching' position would mean Rob Harvey removing himself from any potential HC jobs in the future.

I don't think he's ever going to get hired as a head coach. He always missing some key attribute and the longer it goes on, the more options open up for younger guys coming through the system.
Maybe. Maybe he'll pop up one day like Fagan

Spewing. This is probably a stupid question, but can someone explain to me how our president (supposedly) has a net worth of $6+ billion, and yet we still can't afford more staff under the soft cap? We seriously need to find a way to get a leg-up somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spewing. This is probably a stupid question, but can someone explain to me how our president (supposedly) has a net worth of $6+ billion, and yet we still can't afford more staff under the soft cap? We seriously need to find a way to get a leg-up somewhere.
Bassett's personal net worth has nothing to do with the AFL wide soft cap on football department spending.

If the ship has sailed on Mini that’s a bit of a blow IMO. We need some of that Richmond ball movement, just look at what guys like McRae and Kingsley are doing since they left. We need some chaos action.

If the ship has sailed on Mini that’s a bit of a blow IMO. We need some of that Richmond ball movement, just look at what guys like McRae and Kingsley are doing since they left. We need some chaos action.
Can’t fit him I sadly

Firstly we need the players (midfield) capable of playing that style. Our midfiled in the main are stop start players. Steele, Crouch, Clark etc are not the burst players you need to play in that fashion.

We have a very good coaching group but they can only take the team so far. We desparately need break away mids and have done for years, otherwise we are just papering over the cracks.

Ever since Lyon said Harvey labeled Owens as a forward and not a midfielder, I've been off him a bit to be honest.

Firstly we need the players (midfield) capable of playing that style. Our midfiled in the main are stop start players. Steele, Crouch, Clark etc are not the burst players you need to play in that fashion.

We have a very good coaching group but they can only take the team so far. We desparately need break away mids and have done for years, otherwise we are just papering over the cracks.

Collingwood have plenty of inside drive too though. Henry and Dow probably help a bit getting the run that Lyon wants.

Can’t fit him I sadly
Didn’t we just sign up some sports science nerd. Get rid of him and spend the money on Mini. We need someone from the Richmond tree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back