Coach 2024 Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes because that was such a failed move.

I think both Phillipou and Owens look more like burst mids who play forward and get runs on ball. Windhager looks the most like a full time mid to me. Lyon sounds like he's like more speed around the ball so I guess that might be another factor.

Didn’t we just sign up some sports science nerd. Get rid of him and spend the money on Mini. We need someone from the Richmond tree.
Why? The Richmond game plan has been irrelevant for 3 years.

And sport science is important. If we were better performed in that area, we might not have had everyone returning from long term injury getting soft tissue injuries on return.

I think both Phillipou and Owens look more like burst mids who play forward and get runs on ball. Windhager looks the most like a full time mid to me. Lyon sounds like he's like more speed around the ball so I guess that might be another factor.
Both will end up as mids no doubt about it and I think those at the club have said as much.

Both will end up as mids no doubt about it and I think those at the club have said as much.

I still think more DeGoey than full time though. Both look burst more than grunt. Maybe Bont/ Fyfe type if we're lucky.

Why? The Richmond game plan has been irrelevant for 3 years.

And sport science is important. If we were better performed in that area, we might not have had everyone returning from long term injury getting soft tissue injuries on return.
Leppitsch, McCrae, Kingsley all from the Richmond school..

I'm a big fan of Robert Harvey as a player, and I even concede that he has value as a coach. Clearly, he is valued as a coach by the rest of the coaching department.

However.

In a club that boasts such a rich history of power forwards, and where our current full forward line is only semi functional, surely we can find a coach who was an successful experienced forward who can better instruct the likes of Keeler, Heath, Caminiti, Sharman, Hayes and yes, even Max King himself on how to lead, how to make space for other key forwards, and even how to Improve your goal kicking accuracy.

I'm well aware that most of our problems in the forward line are more to do with delivery from midfield.

However, it's also clear from watching our tall forwards spoil each other in marking contests, get in each other's way, and stand around when they should be leading, that they lack forward craft. Is Harvs the man for that? I don't know, but it needs looking at.

Hopefully, the coaching staff has noticed, and it will be a focus in the preseason.

Agree about Windhager, as I don't see the rest as natural midfielders at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However, it's also clear from watching our tall forwards spoil each other in marking contests, get in each other's way, and stand around when they should be leading, that they lack forward craft. Is Harvs the man for that? I don't know, but it needs looking at.

Hopefully, the coaching staff has noticed, and it will be a focus in the preseason.
I think what also needs to be noted is that Max, Sharman and Caminiti are all young forwards who have played together very little. Have they played even 3 games with all of them in the team?

They are going to take time to gel as a forward unit, as opposed to our backline who have been very settled by comparison.

I'm working on the assumption that no more players will be traded into or out of the club before 2024, and obviously ignoring the kids we select in the upcoming draft.

What's on the coaches' TO DO list this off-season?

Get Dougal Howard's career back on track. Cut the BS out of his game. Simplify it. Make him reliable.

Work on the tall forward synergy, leading patterns, spaces, communication.

xxxxx REDACTED xxxx

Get Steele back to 2022 levels.

Deal with the onfield leadership. It's insufficient. Whether that means personnel change or leadership programmes, get started now.

Find the spark that Gresham provided this year from somewhere else in the team.

Get Caminiti, Sharman and Phillipou back in the gym.

Work on Stocker's decision making and spacial awareness.

Get Clark faster or stronger or both. Unlock his determination to improve.

Refine methodology for F50 entries. It killed us this year.

Get Dow and Henry hitting the ground running, dont let them start as slowly as they did for their initial clubs. The top pick pressure is off, give them love and a role and get them working.

Anything else?

Last edited:
I'm working on the assumption that no more players will be traded into or out of the club before 2024, and obviously ignoring the kids we select in the upcoming draft.

Get Dougal Howard's career back on track. Cut the BS out of his game. Simplify it. Make him reliable.

xxxxx REDACTED xxxx

Deal with the onfield leadership. It's insufficient. Whether that means personnel change or leadership programmes, get started now.

Get Dow and Henry hitting the ground running, dont let them start as slowly as they did for their initial clubs. The top pick pressure is off, give them love and a role and get them working.

Anything else?
I think they've just got to play Doogs at CHB, Cordy at FB and find another use for Battle as the 3rd tall. Wilkie as a floating interceptor, NAS and Sincs for attacking and Jimmy the 7th defender.

Leaves Stocker, Clark and Pato on the fringes but I'm ok with that.

Come up with a game plan that doesn’t rely on uncontested marks. Doesn’t stand up in big games and is too easily shut down.

Happy with the defensive improvement but we need to start kicking big scores more often. Ross has one top 6 finish in attack in his career.

Owens has to be a midfielder in the next year or two.

While he was good there Windhager isn’t a backman IMO. Run with mid while he develops or half forward.

Tall forwards don’t win you flags so don’t get too carried away with them. Two in the team is enough.

Too early to tell with those boys. When Steele and Crouch hang up the boots it'll be Chito, Windy, Dow, Pou and who knows.

xxxxx REDACTED xxxx

Anything else?
Bring back Billy Slater or Billy Moore to teach them all how to step and tackle.
Get that s**t first instinct to throw it at the boot and blindly bomb the ball out of Ro and Seb.
Teach the mids how to run with the wings to create overlap.

Bring back Billy Slater or Billy Moore to teach them all how to step and tackle.
Get that s**t first instinct to throw it at the boot and blindly bomb the ball out of Ro and Seb.

Reckon we can improve greatly when it comes to sticking tackles

I reckon Ross might struggle to get many games next year. Dow coming in would mean he's the one mid he probably pushes out as that inside outside mid and his body started to go this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back