Opinion 2024 Collingwood list rankings

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University

Accidentally stumbled upon this thread earlier - a list ranking our players made in January 2010 before we won the premiership. Fun little read going back in time. Of course we have already won our next premiership now, but why not try it again with the current list?

1. Nick Daicos - undoubtedly the club's most gifted player and is likely a top 5 player across the league. Emblematic of the McRae era - his sizzling and daring movement of the football is second to none across the comp.
2. Darcy Moore - now a 2x AA and premiership captain. Darcy is the prototype modern attacking centre half-back, generating drive always and organising the defence.
3. Jordan De Goey - Collingwood always has its big game players and right now there is none bigger than Jordy. Stamped his mark on Collingwood history in his last two final, topping off a career best year that yielded six BOG performances.
4. Josh Daicos - winning a B&F in a premiership year is the finest accomplishment one can earn in our game according to some. Josh's movement around the opposition and effective link-up with teammates is a massive weapon and he continues to get to new heights.
5. Steele Sidebottom - I don't expect Steele to feature in many top fives but to me he is still a super key part of Collingwood's game. Still ever reliable moving the ball forward, Steele's footy IQ is invaluable as is his ability to defend and shut down opposition wingers.
6. Brayden Maynard - the next best defender after Moore. Brayden is a stalwart of the club and improves everybody around him. A complete medium defender.
7. Isaac Quaynor - effectively at the same level as Bruz these days, Q is equally damaging in attack as he is strong defensively. Destined for big things.
8. Jack Crisp - one of the most durable and consistent Magpies we've ever seen. Crisp continues to turn up to the biggest of games and leave his mark.
9. Brody Mihocek - Brody's place in Collingwood folklore stands greater now after winning a premiership without relying on McStay to relieve his work load. Achieved career-high goal and season goal tallies last season. Every coach in the league would love to have him.
10. Scott Pendlebury - much like Steele, his midfield IQ remains one of our greatest weapons. Continues to impact every week particularly in big games when he's required.
11. Tom Mitchell - the midfielder that took our group to the next level. Tom stood up on grand final day and delivered as our best in-and-under ball winning midfielder.
12. Lachie Schultz - an unknown quantity at this stage, but Schultz has delivered great results in a Justin Longmuir-coached side that doesn't reward forwards. I fully expect he can come and be our best small instantly.
13. Jamie Elliott - Jamie's best footy comes on display a few times a year and blows us away. A brilliant player to watch.
14. Bobby Hill - the sky is the limit for Bobby following two monumental finals performances. Could grow into one of the most complete small forwards we've seen.
15. Nathan Murphy - perennially unheralded outside of Collingwood. Murph is a brick wall who plays above his height. Wears his heart on his sleeve and has been rewarded for it.
16. Dan McStay - we will have to wait another year to see if we can unearth his best footy, but even without a medal, McStay's two goals a game after returning from injury were seriously invaluable when our form was down.
17. Jeremy Howe - an outstanding back in his day, Jeremy continues to contribute week by week and his footy IQ is the defensive equivalent of Steele Sidebottom's.
18. Mason Cox - Mase has always had his 2 or 3 outstanding performances a year in his repertoire, but it's been the elevation of his lower level games which has seen him become a mainstay at Collingwood, becoming statistically one of the best forward-rucks in the league.
19. Beau McCreery - the pressure machine, Beau makes his presence known in the big moments. His last quarter of the ANZAC Day performance this year is emblematic of what he brings to this side.
20. Will Hoskin-Elliott - though somewhat polarising, Will was rewarded for being able to fill a role in any area on the ground. His ability to cover ground all game and generate run from the back half is valuable. His tank allows him to front up to save us in close games by running to spots no one else can.
21. Oleg Markov - hardly put a foot wrong at Collingwood all year and is symbolic of how effective Fly's coaching and system is.
22. Patrick Lipinski - hoping his shoulder surgery explained the lack of confidence in his game in '23. If he can return to where he was in 2022, he's yet another damaging user going forward who can hit the scoreboard.
23. John Noble - one of the sadder tales in recent times in footy. John would likely play at every side in the league and was a victim of Collingwood having a full defence to choose from. Is symbolic of our aggressive game style.
24. Darcy Cameron - continued to prove good enough as a ruck in a flag-contending team. Hoping he can hit the scoreboard more often in 2024.
25. Ash Johnson - a very talented forward. Ash has his chance to make a mark at Collingwood in 2024 following McStay's injury.
26. Billy Frampton - let the opposition trolls have their say, every club needs dual-position depth players and Billy is ours. He was vital from rounds 3-8 when we were affected in ruck and defence by injuries.
27. Nathan Kreuger - sadly looking to be a what if? story. Kreuger showed he could impact as a forward early in '22, and we're praying for some luck in 24.
28. Reef McInnes - like Ash, will have his best chance of cracking the side this year as a leading forward following McStay's injury.
29. Finlay Macrae - will get his opportunities if he's good enough. Fin has been patient and could be an effective two-way running midfielder in our best team.
30. Charlie Dean - I've seen this kid from when he was at Williamstown and he can play. Continues to tease us as a possible future first team player. Just needs his chance.
31. Harvey Harrison - got the nod over Ginnivan at some stages of the year. Opportunities won't come aplenty but you never know. Handy skill set.
32. Josh Carmichael - coaches weren't ultimately phased by his good VFL form. Carmichael could still feature with his strong marking overhead and scoreboard prowess.
33. Jakob Ryan - concussed in his only game thus far. Another pre-season working with our star defenders will help him plenty.
34. Ed Allan - think we'll see him more than Macrae in 2024. Blistering speed and Bont-like height. Sky is the limit.
35. Aiden Begg - still a slight chance of making it, though he'll need to develop rather urgently in a key position role.
36. Harry DeMattia - a comparable playing style to Jack Crisp. I'd have these two working closely to help unload Harry's explosive potential.
37. Tew Jiath - has seamlessly fit in at training by all reports, Tew is a great overhead player, and like Harry has the chance to learn off some club greats.
38. Oscar Steene - won't be seen at senior level in '24, Steele continues to be a project ruck who will get his chances if he's good enough.
39. Joe Richards - AFL football looking to be a bit much for Joe, who was a speculative selection from Wangaratta in 2022.

Hard to split some players, lots of evenness in some areas but I'd go with:

1. Nick Daicos

2. Jordan De Goey

3. Darcy Moore

4. Jack Crisp

5. Brayden Maynard

6. Josh Daicos

7. Isaac Quaynor

8. Jamie Elliott

9. Brody Mihocek

10. Scott Pendlebury

11. Lachie Schultz

12. Tom Mitchell

13. Steel Sidebottom

14. Bobby Hill

15. Dan McStay

16. Nathan Murphy

17. Mason Cox

18. Beau McCreery

19. Jeremy Howe

20. Will Hoskin-Elliott

21. Oleg Markov

22. Darcy Cameron

23. Billy Frampton

24. John Noble

25. Pat Lipinski

26. Harvey Harrison

27. Ash Johnson

28. Nathan Kreuger

29. Reef McInnes

30. Jakob Ryan

31. Fin Macrae

32. Ed Allan

33. Charlie Dean

34. Josh Carmichael

35. Harry DeMattia

36. Tew Jiath

37. Oscar Steene

38. Aiden Begg

39. Joe Richards

Very happy with the list structure and think our new management is still in the process of shifting it to their desired style, have a couple of unlikely types at the bottom (which every club does) but its not filled with list clogging plodders in the middle portion like it was between 2013-2022

some highlights from 2010

12. Jack Anthony (Over 50 goals in first season as a key forward, will only get better)
13. Harry O’Brien (Has come on in leaps and bounds in last 2 years, and will only get better)
21. Cameron Wood (I still believe we can play all 3 rucks in the one side, and Cam will only improve in 2010)
25. Leigh Brown (Servicable for us in 2009, but let’s face it, the less we see of Leeroy in 2010 the better our side is going)

Hard to split some players, lots of evenness in some areas but I'd go with:

1. Nick Daicos

2. Jordan De Goey

3. Darcy Moore

4. Jack Crisp

5. Brayden Maynard

6. Josh Daicos

7. Isaac Quaynor

8. Jamie Elliott

9. Brody Mihocek

10. Scott Pendlebury

11. Lachie Schultz

12. Tom Mitchell

13. Steel Sidebottom

14. Bobby Hill

15. Dan McStay

16. Nathan Murphy

17. Mason Cox

18. Beau McCreery

19. Jeremy Howe

20. Will Hoskin-Elliott

21. Oleg Markov

22. Darcy Cameron

23. Billy Frampton

24. John Noble

25. Pat Lipinski

26. Harvey Harrison

27. Ash Johnson

28. Nathan Kreuger

29. Reef McInnes

30. Jakob Ryan

31. Fin Macrae

32. Ed Allan

33. Charlie Dean

34. Josh Carmichael

35. Harry DeMattia

36. Tew Jiath

37. Oscar Steene

38. Aiden Begg

39. Joe Richards

Very happy with the list structure and think our new management is still in the process of shifting it to their desired style, have a couple of unlikely types at the bottom (which every club does) but its not filled with list clogging plodders in the middle portion like it was between 2013-2022
For me personally, I'd be putting Fin Macrae well above Ryan, McInnes and even Kreuger given his VFL form has been very good.

Carmichael has to go ahead of Dean given he has played some good matches at senior level. In turn, Richards, Begg and Steene move up.

Jiath and DeMattia are bottom but will soon leave that position.

Richards and Begg will leave us at the end of the year unless they pull off an incredible season. Joe Richards could turn out to be the most invisible player we've had on our list for some time.

some highlights from 2010

12. Jack Anthony (Over 50 goals in first season as a key forward, will only get better)
13. Harry O’Brien (Has come on in leaps and bounds in last 2 years, and will only get better)
21. Cameron Wood (I still believe we can play all 3 rucks in the one side, and Cam will only improve in 2010)
25. Leigh Brown (Servicable for us in 2009, but let’s face it, the less we see of Leeroy in 2010 the better our side is going)
I mean the Harry O'Brien one was correct, he had his best ever year in 2010 and was AA.

Accidentally stumbled upon this thread earlier - a list ranking our players made in January 2010 before we won the premiership. Fun little read going back in time. Of course we have already won our next premiership now, but why not try it again with the current list?

1. Nick Daicos - undoubtedly the club's most gifted player and is likely a top 5 player across the league. Emblematic of the McRae era - his sizzling and daring movement of the football is second to none across the comp.
2. Darcy Moore - now a 2x AA and premiership captain. Darcy is the prototype modern attacking centre half-back, generating drive always and organising the defence.
3. Jordan De Goey - Collingwood always has its big game players and right now there is none bigger than Jordy. Stamped his mark on Collingwood history in his last two final, topping off a career best year that yielded six BOG performances.
4. Josh Daicos - winning a B&F in a premiership year is the finest accomplishment one can earn in our game according to some. Josh's movement around the opposition and effective link-up with teammates is a massive weapon and he continues to get to new heights.
5. Steele Sidebottom - I don't expect Steele to feature in many top fives but to me he is still a super key part of Collingwood's game. Still ever reliable moving the ball forward, Steele's footy IQ is invaluable as is his ability to defend and shut down opposition wingers.
6. Brayden Maynard - the next best defender after Moore. Brayden is a stalwart of the club and improves everybody around him. A complete medium defender.
7. Isaac Quaynor - effectively at the same level as Bruz these days, Q is equally damaging in attack as he is strong defensively. Destined for big things.
8. Jack Crisp - one of the most durable and consistent Magpies we've ever seen. Crisp continues to turn up to the biggest of games and leave his mark.
9. Brody Mihocek - Brody's place in Collingwood folklore stands greater now after winning a premiership without relying on McStay to relieve his work load. Achieved career-high goal and season goal tallies last season. Every coach in the league would love to have him.
10. Scott Pendlebury - much like Steele, his midfield IQ remains one of our greatest weapons. Continues to impact every week particularly in big games when he's required.
11. Tom Mitchell - the midfielder that took our group to the next level. Tom stood up on grand final day and delivered as our best in-and-under ball winning midfielder.
12. Lachie Schultz - an unknown quantity at this stage, but Schultz has delivered great results in a Justin Longmuir-coached side that doesn't reward forwards. I fully expect he can come and be our best small instantly.
13. Jamie Elliott - Jamie's best footy comes on display a few times a year and blows us away. A brilliant player to watch.
14. Bobby Hill - the sky is the limit for Bobby following two monumental finals performances. Could grow into one of the most complete small forwards we've seen.
15. Nathan Murphy - perennially unheralded outside of Collingwood. Murph is a brick wall who plays above his height. Wears his heart on his sleeve and has been rewarded for it.
16. Dan McStay - we will have to wait another year to see if we can unearth his best footy, but even without a medal, McStay's two goals a game after returning from injury were seriously invaluable when our form was down.
17. Jeremy Howe - an outstanding back in his day, Jeremy continues to contribute week by week and his footy IQ is the defensive equivalent of Steele Sidebottom's.
18. Mason Cox - Mase has always had his 2 or 3 outstanding performances a year in his repertoire, but it's been the elevation of his lower level games which has seen him become a mainstay at Collingwood, becoming statistically one of the best forward-rucks in the league.
19. Beau McCreery - the pressure machine, Beau makes his presence known in the big moments. His last quarter of the ANZAC Day performance this year is emblematic of what he brings to this side.
20. Will Hoskin-Elliott - though somewhat polarising, Will was rewarded for being able to fill a role in any area on the ground. His ability to cover ground all game and generate run from the back half is valuable. His tank allows him to front up to save us in close games by running to spots no one else can.
21. Oleg Markov - hardly put a foot wrong at Collingwood all year and is symbolic of how effective Fly's coaching and system is.
22. Patrick Lipinski - hoping his shoulder surgery explained the lack of confidence in his game in '23. If he can return to where he was in 2022, he's yet another damaging user going forward who can hit the scoreboard.
23. John Noble - one of the sadder tales in recent times in footy. John would likely play at every side in the league and was a victim of Collingwood having a full defence to choose from. Is symbolic of our aggressive game style.
24. Darcy Cameron - continued to prove good enough as a ruck in a flag-contending team. Hoping he can hit the scoreboard more often in 2024.
25. Ash Johnson - a very talented forward. Ash has his chance to make a mark at Collingwood in 2024 following McStay's injury.
26. Billy Frampton - let the opposition trolls have their say, every club needs dual-position depth players and Billy is ours. He was vital from rounds 3-8 when we were affected in ruck and defence by injuries.
27. Nathan Kreuger - sadly looking to be a what if? story. Kreuger showed he could impact as a forward early in '22, and we're praying for some luck in 24.
28. Reef McInnes - like Ash, will have his best chance of cracking the side this year as a leading forward following McStay's injury.
29. Finlay Macrae - will get his opportunities if he's good enough. Fin has been patient and could be an effective two-way running midfielder in our best team.
30. Charlie Dean - I've seen this kid from when he was at Williamstown and he can play. Continues to tease us as a possible future first team player. Just needs his chance.
31. Harvey Harrison - got the nod over Ginnivan at some stages of the year. Opportunities won't come aplenty but you never know. Handy skill set.
32. Josh Carmichael - coaches weren't ultimately phased by his good VFL form. Carmichael could still feature with his strong marking overhead and scoreboard prowess.
33. Jakob Ryan - concussed in his only game thus far. Another pre-season working with our star defenders will help him plenty.
34. Ed Allan - think we'll see him more than Macrae in 2024. Blistering speed and Bont-like height. Sky is the limit.
35. Aiden Begg - still a slight chance of making it, though he'll need to develop rather urgently in a key position role.
36. Harry DeMattia - a comparable playing style to Jack Crisp. I'd have these two working closely to help unload Harry's explosive potential.
37. Tew Jiath - has seamlessly fit in at training by all reports, Tew is a great overhead player, and like Harry has the chance to learn off some club greats.
38. Oscar Steene - won't be seen at senior level in '24, Steele continues to be a project ruck who will get his chances if he's good enough.
39. Joe Richards - AFL football looking to be a bit much for Joe, who was a speculative selection from Wangaratta in 2022.
How do you have Steele so much higher than Pendles?!

How do you have Steele so much higher than Pendles?!
I have Sidey rated top five because of his importance to team structure. Pendles certainly has his importance as a leader, but I do think he’d be easier to go without on game day than our best two-way running winger whose ground coverage is immense, his footy IQ and commitment to the game plan, and ball movement going forward still very good. My unpopular Collingwood opinion is that he’s actually still a better player than Josh Daicos. If I were picking the best side possible across the whole AFL, my starting two wingers would be Gulden and Sidebottom.

But I’m a fanboy. I don’t expect all to share that opinion.

I have Sidey rated top five because of his importance to team structure. Pendles certainly has his importance as a leader, but I do think he’d be easier to go without on game day than our best two-way running winger whose ground coverage is immense, his footy IQ and commitment to the game plan, and ball movement going forward still very good. My unpopular Collingwood opinion is that he’s actually still a better player than Josh Daicos. If I were picking the best side possible across the whole AFL, my starting two wingers would be Gulden and Sidebottom.

While not disagreeing with you, I’m not sure there’s a lot in it anymore. JDaicos just entering his prime, Sidey his twilight. Love to see their respective GPS data for the season just gone. Their stats for the year show that the handing of the baton is getting closer.

Some of that is Sidey playing a more sacrificial team orientated role than Josh. At the same age:

Love to see Gulden in B&W but I’d be going Josh and Errol on the wings. Primarily because I think Sidey can contribute just as much to the team playing elsewhere.

Don’t get me wrong, a massive Sidey fan myself. I do think he has quiet games too often now…games where he doesn’t impact as much anymore. He saves his best for finals, and you could say the same about Pendlebury. Pendles for a side that has some structural weaknesses in terms of list is critical, he makes the system work on field and also contributes as well. Particularly in those clutch moments, both individually and as a leader. For this reason I’d have him above Sidey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with you on Sidey. It's Crisp I think you've underrated. I'd have him number 4 in the team.

While not disagreeing with you, I’m not sure there’s a lot in it anymore. JDaicos just entering his prime, Sidey his twilight. Love to see their respective GPS data for the season just gone. Their stats for the year show that the handing of the baton is getting closer.

Some of that is Sidey playing a more sacrificial team orientated role than Josh. At the same age:

Love to see Gulden in B&W but I’d be going Josh and Errol on the wings. Primarily because I think Sidey can contribute just as much to the team playing elsewhere.
Stats mean nothing.
Sidey’s impact at contests don’t always raise a stat.
So many times he comes from no where to corral someone, or gets a hand in to create a spillage.
These things don’t raise the pen on the stat sheet.
Josh has had a great season, as evidenced by his Copeland, but I see Sidey do more of the sacrificial acts than Josh does.

Stats mean nothing.
Sidey’s impact at contests don’t always raise a stat.
So many times he comes from no where to corral someone, or gets a hand in to create a spillage.
These things don’t raise the pen on the stat sheet.
Josh has had a great season, as evidenced by his Copeland, but I see Sidey do more of the sacrificial acts than Josh does.
And just to throw this into the mix….
against swans earlier this year…..
Pendles at half back screaming at Adams (who was away with the fairies mid wing) to move over and send a fwd to the boundary.
Adams finally wakes up and relays the message. We get the clearance and corridor is open…..we score. All because Pendles forced Adams and HF to shift out (forgot who it was).

Then a qtr later, Pendles sets up the defence and screams at crisp to get into the corridor from a boundary throw in….we lose the contest, ball goes central…crisp halves the contest when swans were out on the far side.

So what is that worth?
Gut running winger? Or absolute weapon on setup?!?

Fully get your point of view.
it has merit,
we’re lucky to be splitting hairs on this….

Easy question for you this one….

If a club could offer a 1 year contract…..which player are they choosing?

Fully get your point of view.
it has merit,
we’re lucky to be splitting hairs on this….

Easy question for you this one….

If a club could offer a 1 year contract…..which player are they choosing?
If I were a club like North Melbourne, I would contract Pendlebury because like you said - terrific on-field coach and organiser. If I'm Collingwood trying to win another premiership - granted I'm fully aware of Pendlebury's remarkable last quarter - I think Sidebottom is the more complete player relative to position and boosts the side more than Pendles.

If I were a club like North Melbourne, I would contract Pendlebury because like you said - terrific on-field coach and organiser. If I'm Collingwood trying to win another premiership - granted I'm fully aware of Pendlebury's remarkable last quarter - I think Sidebottom is the more complete player relative to position and boosts the side more than Pendles.
Yup.
At least you’re honest….you are a fanboy!! :)

Props.
Reckon 18 teams are taking Pendles. I’d be shocked if any chose sidey.
But that’s me.

Especially those at the top where on field organisation can/is the difference.

But like I said, great debate and splitting hairs!!

His old man (supposedly) did.

So at least we know how that came to be!

We've had a long list of crazy players and relations who have come here to make their case to the world....We salute them all! BF is not just a source of accurate information, it improves the mental health of everyone involved. It should be federally funded...

We've had a long list of crazy players and relations who have come here to make their case to the world....We salute them all! BF is not just a source of accurate information, it improves the mental health of everyone involved. It should be federally funded...
Chief makes enough…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back