2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the only thread that matters. Top 10 or something meant to be very good mid draft, hopefully we can get a couple in along with Cole and Elwood Peckett as FS. Cheers fam

By the sounds of it, seems a lot more average top end of the draft this year compared to last with stars like Reid, mckercher etc. depth looks decent though, and obviously will know a lot more after the champs. Smillie seems the early number 1 favourite, but it's not clear cut like Reid last year. Seems like a lot of the midfielders at the top have flaws this year. Smillie a Cripps like mid, but queries if he is just a big powerful kid. O'Sullivan looks a player, but doesn't seem to find a heap of the ball compared to most top end mids. Jagga smith can find the ball and has some moves, but sounds like he can butcher the ball. Nearly certain to have a top 5 pick now.

By the sounds of it, seems a lot more average top end of the draft this year compared to last with stars like Reid, mckercher etc. depth looks decent though, and obviously will know a lot more after the champs. Smillie seems the early number 1 favourite, but it's not clear cut like Reid last year. Seems like a lot of the midfielders at the top have flaws this year. Smillie a Cripps like mid, but queries if he is just a big powerful kid. O'Sullivan looks a player, but doesn't seem to find a heap of the ball compared to most top end mids. Jagga smith can find the ball and has some moves, but sounds like he can butcher the ball. Nearly certain to have a top 5 pick now.

Moves like Jagga , love it.

Looking at the heights of some of the potential top 10 mids and they all look like short arses ..... not many big bullocking inside goal kicking guns

The afl has left a heap of tall useless mids on the nature strip for someone to take away.
Its not the be all and end all.
A Jackson Merrett or Lachie Neale would be pretty handy for us right now.

Let Battle go via FA if it means another pick inside 5

This year presents us with a golden opportunity to finally fix our midfield woes so it’ll be amazing when we pick a half back flanker who might transition to the midfield and some sort of winger
I’d let Battle go but nobody’s paying him the amount required to give us a pick after ours. If it’s end of first round I’d still take it. We need to load up on draft picks before Tassie comes in or it’s gonna be another 10 years of this.

Cody Anderson looks like then player we want and Sam Lalor also a pretty handy inside mid. Ideally Jagga Smith with our first and Anderson with our second rounder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be a bit biased because I get to see him play more than the Victorian kids, but we should be having a good look at Sid Draper - especially if we want midfielders with a bit of difference.

He may not be massive (182cm), but he just showcases so many attributes that remind me of Connor Rozee (who is 185cm for those wondering). Was at the U18 game yesterday and he just oozed AFL talent. His feet are quick, has that zip and burst out of the stoppage, and most importantly, actually uses the ball forward of centre.

One to keep an eye on over the year, will definitely be around our pick come draft time.

Any word on who we got for the MSD? Hope it's not that Benier guy.

Need as many mids as possible, historically, all the best picks from the MSD have been mids or half backs, Noble, Newcombe, etc.

Like the look of Max Hall and Kobe Ryan. Either will do.

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I might be a bit biased because I get to see him play more than the Victorian kids, but we should be having a good look at Sid Draper - especially if we want midfielders with a bit of difference.

He may not be massive (182cm), but he just showcases so many attributes that remind me of Connor Rozee (who is 185cm for those wondering). Was at the U18 game yesterday and he just oozed AFL talent. His feet are quick, has that zip and burst out of the stoppage, and most importantly, actually uses the ball forward of centre.

One to keep an eye on over the year, will definitely be around our pick come draft time.

He’s definitely in our range. Moraes too. All smaller types with a bit of brilliance more than bulls though.

There is chatter that clubs are looking at Charlie McCartin , the middle brother , apparently has been playing basketball and has just come back to playing footy at Lorne

Not sure what clubs are looking though

Any word on who we got for the MSD? Hope it's not that Benier guy.

Need as many mids as possible, historically, all the best picks from the MSD have been mids or half backs, Noble, Newcombe, etc.

Like the look of Max Hall and Kobe Ryan. Either will do.

On Pixel 7 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
That’s the sensible and right approach. Reality - they select a half back flanker because the Saints have historically felt like they could draft an unlimited number of half backs.

That’s the sensible and right approach. Reality - they select a half back flanker because the Saints have historically felt like they could draft an unlimited number of half backs.
They cant daft him , he is not eligible

Last time we had 2 top ten picks we got Coffield and Clark.
Happened to be the weakest draft in years considering we have now got pick 3 in Dow for a second rounder.
Maybe Aaron Naughton, but Lachie OBrien and Aiden Bonar have not impressed and maybe only Zac Bailey as a mid.
We have pick 3, 7, and 17 (Higgins) on our list from that draft.
I tell you, this club is cursed.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last time we had 2 top ten picks we got Coffield and Clark.
Happened to be the weakest draft in years considering we have now got pick 3 in Dow for a second rounder.
Maybe Aaron Naughton, but Lachie OBrien and Aiden Bonar have not impressed and maybe only Zac Bailey as a mid.
We have pick 3, 7, and 17 (Higgins) on our list from that draft.
I tell you, this club is cursed.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just haven’t employed the right staff. The recruiter is the most important person at the club. The footy department wasn’t funded and the list management seemed to have no plan. It’s a pretty basic system with plenty of impediments put in place. You can’t rely on good luck to get it right.

Just haven’t employed the right staff. The recruiter is the most important person at the club. The footy department wasn’t funded and the list management seemed to have no plan. It’s a pretty basic system with plenty of impediments put in place. You can’t rely on good luck to get it right.

Agree, hopefully having Dalrymple will pay dividends. I think Touce was an improvement, but it’s hard to see which picks he nailed outside of Windy and Chito who were academy graduates. Sydney getting Warner, Gulden, etc as later picks says SD knows what he’s doing.

Agree, hopefully having Dalrymple will pay dividends. I think Touce was an improvement, but it’s hard to see which picks he nailed outside of Windy and Chito who were academy graduates. Sydney getting Warner, Gulden, etc as later picks says SD knows what he’s doing.
Gulden was an academy players and while Warner is a star, Sydney took 3 picks before him which failed.

Dalrymple may end up be better than Toce but he's not some magic oracle whose free from his own drafting mistakes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back