List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The compensation system comes under scrutiny every year after the trade period. It might be get completely re-worked to our detriment or scrapped entirely.

Sometimes it is just better to take the offer in front of you. It is not as if Adelaide low balled us.
So we should let him go on the proviso that the AFL might scrap compo in two years? That's a pretty big maybe to base a trade on.

That pick would have been pushed back to a late first rounder, but he was under contract and there's a premium on key position players. Ben Mckay is crap and demanded first round compo, which we'd get anyway with two more years of service on top. The pick would likely be better than what the crows offered depending on how far we fall, it isn't then we're still playing finals anyway and we'd be vindicated in keeping him anyway.

The incentive to keep him is higher than the incentive to let him go off that offer.

Citing Ben McKay as your example is basically waving a big red flag that the compensation system is utterly flawed, and should not exist in its current form. The AFL changes rules on a whim so who knows how things will look next year, or the year after...

My contention is that the current list are not flag contenders. The team peaked 24 months ago and is incapable of recapturing that form. I would rather see a rebuild than flounder in the middle of the ladder. Keeping Petty to his contract is just prolonging the inevitable.

Citing Ben McKay as your example is basically waving a big red flag that the compensation system is utterly flawed, and should not exist in its current form. The AFL changes rules on a whim so who knows how things will look next year, or the year after...

My contention is that the current list are not flag contenders. The team peaked 24 months ago and is incapable of recapturing that form. I would rather see a rebuild than flounder in the middle of the ladder. Keeping Petty to his contract is just prolonging the inevitable.

Just like to point out you're advocating trading a 24 year old key position player to 'rebuild'.

I don't disagree with your first point but that's a separate argument. Should we not take advantage of the systems as they currently stand? The AFL tends to give a year or two notice when they change rules around trading and FA. This can be observed via things like the father/son and academy bidding. If they were going to change the rules we will most likely know before the end of this trade period and can plan accordingly.

As it stands FA compo hasn't met a great amount of change since being brought in.

And you conveniently omit that the 24 year old KPP wants to leave.

Weird!

Didn't realize that part was a secret? You literally said let's start the rebuild. I don't agree we need to 'rebuild' at this stage, and I definitely don't agree that you start a rebuild by trading out a KPP who is yet to hit peak age for an 18 year old draftee.

Didn't realize that part was a secret? You literally said let's start the rebuild. I don't agree we need to 'rebuild' at this stage, and I definitely don't agree that you start a rebuild by trading out a KPP who is yet to hit peak age for an 18 year old draftee.

You are twisting words to misrepresent my position. If you were being honest, it would be 'trading out a player with currency who does not want to be here'.

Why don't you think a rebuild is necessary? Do you think this side can still contend?

Think Petty was pretty happy here in Melbourne, then had a significant injury, missed home and Adelaide came knocking with a huge offer.

Time in the rehab room is pretty lonely and money talks.

Still think there's a world where he gets fit, starts kicking goals and stays

You are twisting words to misrepresent my position. If you were being honest, it would be 'trading out a player with currency who does not want to be here'.

Why don't you think a rebuild is necessary? Do you think this side can still contend?

What have I misrepresented exactly? Nowhere did I say Petty would stay, or that he wouldn't be traded, I simply disagree with you that trading him to rebuild is a good philosophy.

I think there's work to be done on our list, but I don't think we're anywhere near a 'rebuild' as it stands.

It's not a matter of contend or rebuild. Far too simplistic an approach IMO. The good clubs, like say Geelong or Sydney can get their list back up to contention without having to bottom out and rebuild. That's where our list is at in my view, and what we should be aiming to be like as a club.

I’d rather hold onto him for next year and take the compo unless we can use him to secure someone better.

Suggestions that we are in a rebuild or about to go full rebuild are crazy.
Not full rebuild. But if we fail again this year and either Max or May falls off, I think we would have to look into a mini rebuild. You'd have to accept dropping away for 2 years and aim to bounce in the 3rd year I'd think.

Not full rebuild. But if we fail again this year and either Max or May falls off, I think we would have to look into a mini rebuild. You'd have to accept dropping away for 2 years and aim to bounce in the 3rd year I'd think.
Yeah we're definitely not in a youth policy position any time soon. Falling away in 2019 has kind of helped us a bit. We've got a decent group of young players at the club. The main issue for the future that needs to be addressed is our spine.

What a dream it would be if we sacked Goody at the end of the year so a new coach had cap space and a license to shape the list how he likes. Thats the easiest way forward. Allowing Goody to spend the money we have is just asking for trouble. Not that the Panthers are anything to aspire to but when they hired Dave Canales to be their head coach this offseason he said it best "its easy for me coz I have no emotional attachment to our players, I can just make decisions that I think are logical and best for the team"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They do stretching and mobility sessions together. I believe Petracca also is a regular with this guy.
Yeah but why? No dogs players no how to stretch? Lol

Geez Tholstrup associating with Oliver doesn't feel great lol
******* first thing I thought, good luck Kolt, let's get the young impressionable country kid around the rascal

Surely we start having a crack at Sam Taylor with him a free agent next year. Sort out May retirement plans.

We should have *loads of cash to burn.

Surely we start having a crack at Sam Taylor with him a free agent next year. Sort out May retirement plans.

We should have *loads of cash to burn.
No reason why he'd leave. But agreed. We have to shake someone loose like that. But it's gonna take ridiculous money.

Reading the HS and we have a few academy kids this year I wonder how my we will get screwed by this time. If any good.
Raik Andrew, Coren Giliam, Tarion Ah-Mu, Ricky Mentha. F/S Noah Yze.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back