List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hes pretty poor.

Was one of the kids who came through the junior years in lockdown so a lot of assumptions were made. Hawks got this one wrong.
Honestly I've barely watched him since being drafted.
Just going off what I read. I know he was fairly skinny as a junior and if he hasn't stacked on much weight then a pass I suppose.

Other then that, I don't know any other key defenders who are out of contract.

Gary Lyon mentioning that we shouldn't trade Petty unless we get Thilthorp? Stuff that! Thilthorp is a spud. Into his 4th year and averaged 0.9 goals a game last season.

For Petty, it'd have to be a Rachele, Curtin (plus their first), Soligo (and their first) or Michalanney.

Gary Lyon mentioning that we shouldn't trade Petty unless we get Thilthorp? Stuff that! Thilthorp is a spud. Into his 4th year and averaged 0.9 goals a game last season.

For Petty, it'd have to be a Rachele, Curtin (plus their first), Soligo (and their first) or Michalanney.
Reckon Curtin is odds on to go back to WA at the first chance so he’d be a risk I reckon.

Adelaide’s first pick is potentially going to be inside the top 10 - if it’s too early, they won’t offer it up.

Their second pick isn’t until 35 (ironically it’s the one we have them for Shane McAdam) but we’d want more.

I can see a scenario where we end up keeping him for this season and next, and take the compo when he leaves as a free agent at the end of 2025.

Reckon Curtin is odds on to go back to WA at the first chance so he’d be a risk I reckon.

Adelaide’s first pick is potentially going to be inside the top 10 - if it’s too early, they won’t offer it up.

Their second pick isn’t until 35 (ironically it’s the one we have them for Shane McAdam) but we’d want more.

I can see a scenario where we end up keeping him for this season and next, and take the compo when he leaves as a free agent at the end of 2025.
Make no mistake, a top in the top 10 isn't enough to get Petty. You're underselling his worth. He's young and one of our most important players. He's our life after Steven May. He solves our forward and backline issues. it's definitely 2 first rounders. 1 first rounder won't cut it.

You are overselling Petty. He is a fine player on his day, but two FRP's is over the odds. That is the type of currency that match winning players command. Not an injury prone bloke that has never mustered 20 games in a year that still hasn't locked down a position in his 7th season.

Make no mistake, a top in the top 10 isn't enough to get Petty. You're underselling his worth. He's young and one of our most important players. He's our life after Steven May. He solves our forward and backline issues. it's definitely 2 first rounders. 1 first rounder won't cut it.
I agree it’s going to hurt if we lose him but I can’t see Adelaide offering up 2 first rounders when they can get him for free after a year.

Their first pick will be used up on their Father son prospect in Welsh.

You are overselling Petty. He is a fine player on his day, but two FRP's is over the odds. That is the type of currency that match winning players command. Not an injury prone bloke that has never mustered 20 games in a year that still hasn't locked down a position in his 7th season.
hasn't locked down a position? He locked down a defensive position for many years now. He's playing forward because our recruiting team couldn't find a key forward and Petty has that rare ability to be genuinely versatile. Amazing both forward and back.

Maybe - I havnt checked lately but he was generally rated around 5-10 I think.

Did forget about that though, makes me even more confident that we’ll end up holding onto him for another year.

Think we only move him for unders if we’ve secured a proper replacement, which looks very doubtful. Agree most likely scenario is we hold him to contract and he leaves as a FA. Honestly it’s not impossible that he decides to stay too, especially if crows drop off further.

hasn't locked down a position? He locked down a defensive position for many years now. He's playing forward because our recruiting team couldn't find a key forward and Petty has that rare ability to be genuinely versatile. Amazing both forward and back.

"Amazing both forward and back" is some hyperbole. Do you have amnesia? He played some absolute stinkers at both ends last year.

Servicable is a more apt description.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Amazing both forward and back" is some hyperbole. Do you have amnesia? He played some absolute stinkers at both ends last year.

Servicable is a more apt description.
one of our most important players. you've lost the plot mate. he'll be offered 800k and that's about what he's worth.

That doesn't mean much. Ben McKay proved you don't need to be a talented or durable KPD to earn a ~$800k/year

Think we only move him for unders if we’ve secured a proper replacement, which looks very doubtful. Agree most likely scenario is we hold him to contract and he leaves as a FA. Honestly it’s not impossible that he decides to stay too, especially if crows drop off further.
Im not sure about that entire go home for family reasons story, wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if it was just money driven, we didnt want to give him a new contract/extension coz of his foot, Adelaide were desperate for a KPD and were willing to take the risk and give him big money. Petty might have had some concerns about his foot himself and wanted to cash in while he could. It makes sense. If he makes it thru this year without re-injurying his foot id offer him a new deal with better money than hes on to get him extended and make him happy.

Im not sure about that entire go home for family reasons story, wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if it was just money driven, we didnt want to give him a new contract/extension coz of his foot, Adelaide were desperate for a KPD and were willing to the risk and give him big money. Petty might have had some concerns about his foot himself and wanted to cash in while he could. It makes sense. If he makes it thru this year without re-injurying his foot id offer him a new deal with better money than hes on to get him extended and make him happy.

Didn't we offer him an extension last year that he wasn't interested in? I'm not saying he isn't just moving for money, but I'm 99% sure I read we had one on the table that he wasn't touching.

Didn't we offer him an extension last year that he wasn't interested in? I'm not saying he isn't just moving for money, but I'm 99% sure I read we had one on the table that he wasn't touching.
With another two years to run on his contract and coming off the foot injury it doesnt make any sense for us to do so.

Had a quick google and you might be right, it would be nice of us for once to not jump into throwing someone a big extension when we don't need to.
If he makes it thru this year without injury Im sure we will offer him an extension with more money than hes on now. If he hasn't signed an extension by next offseason highly likely hes gone.

If he makes it thru this year without injury Im sure we will offer him an extension with more money than hes on now. If he hasn't signed an extension by next offseason highly likely hes gone.

Yep, massive year for him honestly. Can really drive up his price for his next deal with us or the Crows, if he has a middling year he probably holds off until 2025 to try to drive his price up again.

Yep, offered him an extension as part of trying to make sure we kept him.

"The Herald Sun revealed on Wednesday the Demons were keen to extend his tenure past 2025, but it is understood he will not consider a contract extension."

AFL 2023: Melbourne shuts down Harrison Petty trade talk

There's already talk the club have brought this up again and are looking at trying to extend him this year. Won't be much difference between what the Dees and Crows offer, the money talk is absolute rubbish, it's always been about being back in SA, but the club haven't given up on him staying by any stretch.

Yep, offered him an extension as part of trying to make sure we kept him.

"The Herald Sun revealed on Wednesday the Demons were keen to extend his tenure past 2025, but it is understood he will not consider a contract extension."

AFL 2023: Melbourne shuts down Harrison Petty trade talk

There's already talk the club have brought this up again and are looking at trying to extend him this year. Won't be much difference between what the Dees and Crows offer, the money talk is absolute rubbish, it's always been about being back in SA, but the club haven't given up on him staying by any stretch.

Yeah I can't see him signing that before years end for a multitude of reasons, but at least we're trying.

Yeah I can't see him signing that before years end for a multitude of reasons, but at least we're trying.

Yep, reckon you're probably right there. Crucial to keep IMO. Don't care what draft picks are on offer, him leaving would put a massive hole in our KPP demographic that can't be replaced by an 18 year old.

the money talk is absolute rubbish, it's always been about being back in SA, but the club haven't given up on him staying by any stretch.
"Its always been about him being back in SA"... Crows could offer him less than they were if thats the case. If you think we are a chance of keeping him it cant be all about being in SA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back