List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

May, Lever, Melksham, Hibberd, Langdon all picked up the phone pre 2021.

However once success came it seems our recruitment team have rested on our laurels and happy to pat ourselves on the back when we bring in VFL plodders, despite most clubs usually going harder at bringing in established talent when in the window.

Weird. Almost like when you finish top and win a flag (then top 4 twice) you have less currency to trade for gun players...

So weird.

Weird. Almost like when you finish top and win a flag (then top 4 twice) you have less currency to trade for gun players...

So weird.

Didn’t stop Collingwood bringing in Frampton, Bobby Hill, Mcstay, Mitchell ect in a single off season. But yes, let’s make excuses.

Didn’t stop Collingwood bringing in Frampton, Bobby Hill, Mcstay, Mitchell ect in a single off season. But yes, let’s make excuses.
Apart from Hill and Mitchell all those guys were fringe though.

Say What Election Debate GIF by Creative Courage

I never thought Hunter or Billings would be a gun players. You are imagining a position I have never taken to try and win a debate on the internet.

For two out of favour players with ~10 years exerience and >150 games played, I would expect them to be serviceable and available for selection most weeks.

Instead we have got Billings who is consistently the worst on ground, and Hunter has been exiled from the senior team for having behavioural and substance abuse issues.

Here's my post ABSOLUTELY RAVING about the Billings trade when it happened:

Meh I think you're the type to get upset over things you've made up in your head tbh.

Billings, should he earn a spot, potentially offers an improvement in an area where we need it. We've given up hardly anything for him and the Saints are paying some of his wage. It's pretty obviously worth a shot in terms of risk v reward. Not every recruit has to be a gun automatic top 5 BnF player, despite how BigFooty reacts to every move the club makes.

I didn't even post about Hunter, that's how high my expectations were.

You got your hopes up about players we traded in for nothing. That's on you, not me. I'll get Tim Lamb to hold a mirror for you.

So weird.

Geelong - runners up in 2020. Bring in Jeremy Cameron

Richmond - flag in 2017 followed by a prelim appearance and minor premiership in 2018. Land Tom Lynch.

Weird indeed!

Apart from Hill and Mitchell all those guys were fringe though.

Brisbane brought in Gunston, Dunkley, McKenna and still had points for Ashcroft and Fletcher in 2022

We brought in Hunter, Schache and one of the MFC greatest decisions in Grundy.

It’s not hard to see how other clubs have over taken us.

Just look at Essendons last off season compared to ours if you want more evidence.

May, Lever, Melksham, Hibberd, Langdon all picked up the phone pre 2021.

However once success came it seems our recruitment team have rested on our laurels and happy to pat ourselves on the back when we bring in VFL plodders, despite most clubs usually going harder at bringing in established talent when in the window.
I guess so. Lever and May we flat out bought though - our deal was the most generous. The other three good pick-ups, but we might have got lucky with Melksham and Hibbo who obviously had a prior and good relationship with our coach, and were at a funny point in their careers.

Let’s not rewrite history too much though. Plenty of Melbourne supporters were horrified we were giving up a second for Melksham. Plenty of Essendon supporters were gleeful. It’s only now we sit back and say way to go, great trade.

We had a good run in trades and I actually agree with you that we should have kept pressing for that growth. But we won a Premiership and decided we wanted to keep the group together or some such rubbish to win another, plugging depth holes with guys that haven’t provided the greatest depth

Brisbane brought in Gunston, Dunkley, McKenna and still had points for Ashcroft and Fletcher in 2022

We brought in Hunter, Schache and one of the MFC classics in Grundy.

Dunkley is the only big get there. Not saying we have traded that well but most trades are for guys in the bottom 6 of their current team or worse.

Geelong - runners up in 2020. Bring in Jeremy Cameron

Richmond - flag in 2017 followed by a prelim appearance and minor premiership in 2018. Land Tom Lynch.

Weird indeed!

Both of them were free agents (although Cameron ended up being a trade).

Cameron was able to come across due to the Tim Kelly trade.

Both of them were free agents (although Cameron ended up being a trade).

Cameron was able to come across due to the Tim Kelly trade.

You said top 4 clubs do not have the currency. These two clubs brought in a million dollar player at the peak of the powers when their lists were already brimming with AA talents and presumably capped out.

But you cry foul because they were free agents.

Typical Nev. If you are not imagining positions I have never taken then you move the goal posts. Just take the L.

We brought in Hunter, Schache and one of the MFC greatest decisions in Grundy.

Just look at Essendons last off season compared to ours if you want more evidence.

Did Brisbane lose anyone notable?

We lost Jackson, Jordon, Bedford and Hunt. All have become valuable contributors at their new clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said top 4 clubs do not have the currency. These two clubs brought in a million dollar player at the peak of the powers when their lists were already brimming with AA talents and presumably capped out.

But you cry foul because they were free agents.

Typical Nev. If you are not imagining positions I have never taken then you move the goal posts. Just take the L.

Lol you picked out two weak examples mate. One where a premiership side lured an extremely rare gun free agent, and another where the currency was there due to a gun player demanding a trade out. Details matter.

The evidence is all there about how disappointed you are in Hunter and Billings. Your expectations weren't met. That's on no one else but you.

Lol you picked out two weak examples mate. One where a premiership side lured an extremely rare gun free agent, and another where the currency was there due to a gun player demanding a trade out. Details matter.

The evidence is all there about how disappointed you are in Hunter and Billings. Your expectations weren't met. That's on no one else but you.

Our form correlates with our recent off seasons. List is dropping away and we are failing to rejuvenate it accordingly to keep us in the window.

Losing Brayshaw, Jackson, Hibberd, Jordan, Bedford, Hunt these last few seasons without anyone of note coming in is starting to bite.

Can probably throw Melksham and Joel Smiths name into that group as well as they are both pretty much cooked as well.

Last edited:
Our form correlates with our recent off seasons. List is dropping away and we are failing to rejuvenate it accordingly to keep us in the window.

Losing Brayshaw, Jackson, Hibberd, Jordan, Bedford, Hunt these last few seasons without anyone of note coming in is starting to bite.

Can probably throw Melksham and Joel Smiths name into that group as well as they are both pretty much cooked as well.

Brayshaw - Retired due to concussion
Jackson - Requested a trade home, we got good picks for him
Hibberd - Retired
Jordon - Free agent, left due to not being played
Bedford - Left due to not being played
Hunt - Lol. Seriously.

Not sure exactly what you're trying to say by listing Melksham and Smith?

Yeah, you don't generally get "anyone of note" for players that retire, are free agents, or generally not very good.

Silly me getting sucked into this discussion. I'm tapping out now.

Brayshaw - Retired due to concussion
Jackson - Requested a trade home, we got good picks for him
Hibberd - Retired
Jordon - Free agent, left due to not being played
Bedford - Left due to not being played
Hunt - Lol. Seriously.

Not sure exactly what you're trying to say by listing Melksham and Smith?

Yeah, you don't generally get "anyone of note" for players that retire, are free agents, or generally not very good.

Silly me getting sucked into this discussion. I'm tapping out now.

Yes that’s how they are gone, not sure what the point of listing how they exited is as they are still gone and we have failed to bring anyone of note back in within the same time frame while most of, if not all other clubs have.

Last edited:
On the topic of the post-2006 drop-off being unexpected, I recently watched a replay of the Freo comeback game in 2008 and was somewhat surprised at some of the players on field-Robertson, White, Bruce, Rivers, Miller, Green, Davey, McDonald, as well as decent youngsters like Frawley, Jones, McLean, Moloney. I was young at the time so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but it doesn't seem like a terrible team on paper.

Similarly, it's sometimes forgotten when discussing the 2007-2013 period that we looked bloody exciting in 2010-probably my favourite year following the club, we didn't make finals but it felt like we were a talented young team on the up. Even in 2011 we had our moments, i.e. smashing Adelaide by 100 points. 186 and the subsequent fall back to bottom of the ladder was also completely unexpected.

On the topic of the post-2006 drop-off being unexpected, I recently watched a replay of the Freo comeback game in 2008 and was somewhat surprised at some of the players on field-Robertson, White, Bruce, Rivers, Miller, Green, Davey, McDonald, as well as decent youngsters like Frawley, Jones, McLean, Moloney. I was young at the time so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but it doesn't seem like a terrible team on paper.

Similarly, it's sometimes forgotten when discussing the 2007-2013 period that we looked bloody exciting in 2010-probably my favourite year following the club, we didn't make finals but it felt like we were a talented young team on the up. Even in 2011 we had our moments, i.e. smashing Adelaide by 100 points. 186 and the subsequent fall back to bottom of the ladder was also completely unexpected.
By 2008 Bruce, Miller, McLean, White, Robbo etc were all well past their best was the problem.
Jones was raw as, Davey was basically carrying us on his shoulders around then. Frawley was super raw.

It did all come together in 2010 with the kids we invested in but the 2 years of tanking left us with a list full of players who had no standards and no training commitment. Bailey was sacked and Neeld tried to instill a hard edge which we did need but he was too aggressive and lost all the players probably in the first pre season and all the promising young players like Petterd, Bate, Morton, Watts, Tapscott, Gysberts etc were already mentally cooked.

By 2008 Bruce, Miller, McLean, White, Robbo etc were all well past their best was the problem.
Jones was raw as, Davey was basically carrying us on his shoulders around then. Frawley was super raw.

It did all come together in 2010 with the kids we invested in but the 2 years of tanking left us with a list full of players who had no standards and no training commitment. Bailey was sacked and Neeld tried to instill a hard edge which we did need but he was too aggressive and lost all the players probably in the first pre season and all the promising young players like Petterd, Bate, Morton, Watts, Tapscott, Gysberts etc were already mentally cooked.
The current group for older plays were/are much better than those names above

Davey carried us for about 8 weeks in his b&f year. Then with a tag was useless other than running around the back of a player who marked the ball to pick up a cheap kick. Although in fairness his disposal was pretty elite and would be useful tin this current team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back