Prediction 2024 Expectations Thread (with poll!!!)

Where we will finish at the end of the 2024 minor round?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He thinks we are still rebuilding so shouldn't be in Finals contention let alone play Finals so he is surprise the majority don't agree with him.
No that's not it. I think we will be in finals contention but I'm not convinced we'll make it. I predicted just inside (8th) or just outside (9th). I strongly believe we should be making finals by 2025 for the rebuild to be on track.

It's more that we just played awful football and 85% of this board thinks we will make finals. There's currently a gulf between expectations and performance

No that's not it. I think we will be in finals contention but I'm not convinced we'll make it. I predicted just inside (8th) or just outside (9th). I strongly believe we should be making finals by 2025 for the rebuild to be on track.

It's more that we just played awful football and 85% of this board thinks we will make finals. There's currently a gulf between expectations and performance
So you think we are still rebuilding but somehow at the same time contending for Finals?

So you think we are still rebuilding but somehow at the same time contending for Finals?
A rebuild ends when you are a flag contender, not when you make finals

Unless the goal of the rebuild is only making finals

A rebuild ends when you are a flag contender, not when you make finals

Unless the goal of the rebuild is only making finals
Disagree, the rebuild end when the list contend for Finals as the core list has been rebuilt good enough to play Finals and then either look to trade in more good experience players or the list gets more experience or both happen to become premiership contenders. Not all list become premiership contenders despite playing Finals so are they forever rebuilding?

Disagree, the rebuild end when the list contend for Finals as the core list has been rebuilt good enough to play Finals and then either look to trade in more good experience players or the list gets more experience or both happen to become premiership contenders. Not all list become premiership contenders despite playing Finals so are they forever rebuilding?

If you're looking to add in more players after making finals but before contending how could you say the rebuild is done then?

Could be wrong - i just get the vibe our game is good enough when playing at a standard stadium with standard conditions. Not saying we are otherwise perfect, we just seem to play woeful (alot worse than the opposition) when the wind is a factor or in this case the rain.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If you're looking to add in more players after making finals but before contending how could you say the rebuild is done then?
Because you've identified gap in your list after the rebuild has completed so your list can contend for the premiership by bringing in experience players and not going to the draft you otherwise would do in a rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be wrong - i just get the vibe our game is good enough when playing at a standard stadium with standard conditions. Not saying we are otherwise perfect, we just seem to play woeful (alot worse than the opposition) when the wind is a factor or in this case the rain.

I agree. In perfect conditions our game is good enough, but we need to improve our ability to adapt to be real contenders.

I'm adding Sydney to my top 5 of lions, pies, blues, gws and port. So now groups of 6, 9 and 3. Interesting year coming up.

I have it as, based on where each list is at

Contending
Melbourne
Collingwood
Carlton
Brisbane
Western Bulldogs
GWS
Port Adelaide

Ahead of us in the rebuild
Fremantle
Gold Coast
Sydney - though possibly contending

Behind us in the rebuild
Hawthorn
North Melbourne
Richmond
West Coast
Geelong

Hard to get a read on
St Kilda - their list to me seems on the cusp of a failed rebuild that will make finals but never contend. In that sense they could be behind us in a rebuild they haven't started
Essendon - rebuilding at a similar time to us but seem to be also topping up but also relying on older players?

Of course not saying all 7 teams with contending lists will actually contend or even make finals, in fact I reckon a few will crash.

By your logic making up the numbers constitutes a completed rebuild.
Well, you aren't finishing very low and getting low picks needed for a rebuild so logically the rebuild is completed and rely on the experience growth of your list you've rebuilt to take the next step or trade in experience players to fill the gap you've identified after your list was rebuilt or do both. Those are the only options you have to become premiership contenders after your list has been rebuilt, you aren't cutting your list to finish low again to rebuilt again lol.

I agree. In perfect conditions our game is good enough, but we need to improve our ability to adapt to be real contenders.

Fortunately we only have the Hobart game and GMHBA this year. Odds are we wont get too many more games with rain that heavy. Im not too worried about how bad we looked. Only if a game like that is taxing on the body for next week?

It’s also left me bullish on Rachele

Fortunately we only have the Hobart game and GMHBA this year. Odds are we wont get too many more games with rain that heavy. Im not too worried about how bad we looked. Only if a game like that is taxing on the body for next week?

It’s also left me bullish on Rachele

Yeah look it wasn't great, but given there were various pretty unusual circumstances of the game, I'm not too worried about the season ahead, I reckon we'll get back on track on Friday. Not that I'm fine with Saturdays performance, we need to learn to adapt, just that I think we'll bounce back and we have an exciting season ahead.

It was 1 game though, I think this board is overreacting a tad

I think we really need a Lachie Neale type injection Brisbane got to supercharge their rebuild.
Charlie Cameron was a big part of that rise too. kicked 57 goals for them in 2018. The thing is, I think we've already had that injection in Dawson and Rankine, we just haven't put it all together yet.

It's actually kind of interesting (and depressing) comparing Brisbane's 2018 & 2019 season with our 2022 & 2023. Brisbane finished 15th with 89.1% in 18, while we finished 14th with 86.7% in 22. In 19 Brisbane finished 2nd with 118.3%, while we finished 10th with 116.8% last year. So for Brisbane, year on year that was an increase of 29.2% for a rise of 13 spots on the ladder. For us it was an increase of 30.1% for a rise of only 4 spots on the ladder. Just goes to show how much we dropped the ball in those close games year.

I've got us 9th or 10th, don't think I was fooled but maybe :p Nah, we'll look a million bucks in some games, especially at home.

Don't worry, it's never as bad as it feels (or as good!). We'll bounce back.

Could even play a final, if Nicks stops picking teams poorly.

Well my expectations took a serious drop after last night. That was a must win in the context of our 1st 5 games and our season and we blew it. Somehow finals seem a long way off at this point.

Back