News 2024 Fantasy Injuries, Suspensions, and Concussion Protocols

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

AFL clubs have been told they must be more transparent with injury news in 2024 as part of increased access negotiated in the new CBA deal.

Sam Edmund believes the first test case of this will come this week as Geelong sits quiet on Cam Guthrie’s quad injury.

The veteran Cat went down in the first minutes of the club’s practice match with Carlton, but the club remains tight-lipped on the severity.

Speaking with former Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley on SEN Breakfast, he and Edmund discussed why clubs feel the need to be so secretive.

It comes as teams like Geelong, Richmond and Essendon moved to listing injuries as short/medium/long term in recent years.

Buckley: “Having been in the inner sanctum, trying to communicate how long an injury is going to be, I don’t mind what Geelong are trying to do, because if you say it’s a three-week injury and they miss four, does that mean something’s gone wrong?”

Edmund: “No one’s that nit-picky, at least say 3-4 weeks or 6-8 weeks, they know. The high performance team would know. They’ve done the scans on Cam Guthrie. They know what he’s likely to miss. Short term, medium term and long term is taking the p---.”

“It’ll be interesting to see how clubs navigate it this year, whether they give a toss or whether it’s something they provide some transparency on.”

AFL clubs have been told they must be more transparent with injury news in 2024 as part of increased access negotiated in the new CBA deal.

Sam Edmund believes the first test case of this will come this week as Geelong sits quiet on Cam Guthrie’s quad injury.

The veteran Cat went down in the first minutes of the club’s practice match with Carlton, but the club remains tight-lipped on the severity.

Speaking with former Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley on SEN Breakfast, he and Edmund discussed why clubs feel the need to be so secretive.

It comes as teams like Geelong, Richmond and Essendon moved to listing injuries as short/medium/long term in recent years.

Buckley: “Having been in the inner sanctum, trying to communicate how long an injury is going to be, I don’t mind what Geelong are trying to do, because if you say it’s a three-week injury and they miss four, does that mean something’s gone wrong?”

Edmund: “No one’s that nit-picky, at least say 3-4 weeks or 6-8 weeks, they know. The high performance team would know. They’ve done the scans on Cam Guthrie. They know what he’s likely to miss. Short term, medium term and long term is taking the p---.”

“It’ll be interesting to see how clubs navigate it this year, whether they give a toss or whether it’s something they provide some transparency on.”

I tend to agree with Bucks. I want to know but unfortunately with the way the media is today and the gullibility of some readers, it's not worth the hassle to clubs to be more specific.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol gotta love the Herald Sun and their click bait. “Let’s put Parish and Merrett in the picture so that people will be left guessing which one it is and will have to click on the paywalled article to find out!!”

It’s Parish everyone. Parish is in doubt.

There sucked in Rupert, I cost you a subscription or two by breaking the news myself. Go enjoy your 6th engagement you old fossil.

Lol gotta love the Herald Sun and their click bait. “Let’s put Parish and Merrett in the picture so that people will be left guessing which one it is and will have to click on the paywalled article to find out!!”

It’s Parish everyone. Parish is in doubt.

There sucked in Rupert, I cost you a subscription or two by breaking the news myself. Go enjoy your 6th engagement you old fossil.
Fence sitter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back