Strategy 2024 Fantasy Planning Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone overthinking R0

In my mind they will skip it and pretend it doesn't exist like most of the fans in QLD and NSW will.
Rolling lockout in R1, R0 games do not count towards price rises or anything else.

Best 18 in any round where a team is on the bye (only 2 trades during the early byes where its just 2 teams)

Everyone overthinking R0

In my mind they will skip it and pretend it doesn't exist like most of the fans in QLD and NSW will.
Rolling lockout in R1, R0 games do not count towards price rises or anything else.

Best 18 in any round where a team is on the bye (only 2 trades during the early byes where its just 2 teams)
Based on Warnie’s replies on Twitter I reckon this is 100% on the money. Rd0 ignored, best 18 in early byes, but only 2 trades in these rounds. Makes premos in Rd0 teams very hard to consider starting

Based on Warnie’s replies on Twitter I reckon this is 100% on the money. Rd0 ignored, best 18 in early byes, but only 2 trades in these rounds. Makes premos in Rd0 teams very hard to consider starting

Yeah it's royally f'ed things up. Looking at that R0 fixture it'd rule out Green, Daicos, Gawn, Grundy, Adams, Coleman, Walsh as you'd have to sacrifice a week of premo scores during the prime early season rounds.

Alright nerds. Get your spreadsheets out. It's fixture time.
looks at fixture

Romany Malco Drama GIF by ABC Network

Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

If that's the case...will the comp veer back to a guns and rooks strategy?

Pack your side with as many non round 0 premos as you can to lock in best 18 scores in opening rounds and then stack your bench with playing rooks to maximise price rises/cash gen.

I would have preferred to play Round 0 and then be given unlimited trades prior to round 1. Would have created some genuine variance in the comp as people tried to forecast/stack their side to how they saw the games panning out.

Mannagh, G. Stevens, J. Clark, O'Sullivan - all chances of being Fantasy relevant for us next year, as an FYI :)
Mannagh replaces Smitty in the 22 but more as a HF?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok...so i have started planning albeit with an magic number that i thought might be around the mark. I also used the salary cap of 15.5M (who knows if any of these are correct but you have to start somewhere). All prices have been based off last year avg as at R24 Fantasy.
This is what i have come up with so far. Started with a strategy of Premos and Draftees for now but that will likely change.
Def is coming along
Mids might need some tweaking given the bont might be still recovering from ?foot/ankle? surgery. MIght replace with Petracca or Oliver or Neale if bont is not ready.
Rucks - other than a R3 they are pretty much set unless i need cash to fill in other spaces. If so and Grundy is not tagged as DPP then i will be runing with a "Gawndy" combo
Fwds are my big hit and miss at the moment. I doubt Petracca & Grundy will get DPP. Bailey Humphrey i am not completely sold on either. Good player but will he be fantasy relevant under Hardwick?

Other than that i am not sure who to go for.
I thought about Zac Williams who will be cheap as chips this year in Def as he has had a full year out. Worried about his body coping though.
I need some cheap as chips rookies (200k or thereabouts) who might come out of the ground and play early as well.

Yellow spaces are for draftees or cheap players that are coming back.

Changes galore coming but like i said... starting somewhere

And yes - you convinced me to start my spreadsheet Barrybran!!!

1700716160827.png

Last edited:
Ok...so i have started planning albeit with an magic number that i thought might be around the mark. I also used the salary cap of 15.5M (who knows if any of these are correct but you have to start somewhere). All prices have been based off last year avg as at R24 Fantasy.
This is what i have come up with so far. Started with a strategy of Premos and Draftees for now but that will likely change.
Def is coming along
Mids might need some tweaking given the bont might be still recovering from ?foot/ankle? surgery. MIght replace with Petracca or Oliver or Neale if bont is not ready.
Rucks - other than a R3 they are pretty much set unless i need cash to fill in other spaces. If so and Grundy is not tagged as DPP then i will be runing with a "Gawndy" combo
Fwds are my big hit and miss at the moment. I doubt Petracca & Grundy will get DPP. Bailey Humphrey i am not completely sold on either. Good player but will he be fantasy relevant under Hardwick?

Other than that i am not sure who to go for.
I thought about Zac Williams who will be cheap as chips this year in Def as he has had a full year out. Worried about his body coping though.
I need some cheap as chips rookies (200k or thereabouts) who might come out of the ground and play early as well.

Yellow spaces are for draftees or cheap players that are coming back.

Changes galore coming but like i said... starting somewhere

And yes - you convinced me to start my spreadsheet Barrybran!!!

View attachment 1859339
Sheezel at great risk of being thrown around this season I feel.

If he's half back he's a lock but I feel they might try move him into the mid or forwards.

I'll do a side off the top of my head without any consideration of cap. Fulls guns and rooks this year with only a couple of MP's, given how many solid draftees will likely play early on:

DEF: Sicily, NWM, Sheezel, Curtin, O'Sullivan, T. Brown (Fahey, Mullin)

MID: Bont, Taranto, Walsh, Newcombe, C. Guthrie, McKercher, Sanders, J. Clark (G. Stevens, D. Wilson)

RUC: English, Gawn (Conway)

FWD: B. Smith, T. Adams, Grundy, Soldo, H. Reid, Z. Duursma (Watson, Mannagh)

INT: (B. George)

Like last season, my plan is to make no draft sides or early iterations until after the pre season games, and heck maybe not until after round 0.

Now let’s see if I can actually stick to it this season 🥴

Flanders keeping FWD status makes him just about must-have. Bailey Smith would be another if he can finally have a bounce back year. Not interested at all in Macrae unless the Bulldogs sack Bevo and fire him into the sun… and even then.

Going to have to hold my nose and pick Nocontact Daicos since he kept defender status. Every man and his dog will own him.

Harley Reid with FWD status is very handy for a line where it’s often hard to find rookies.

They’re the players I find most interesting at first glance.

Flanders keeping FWD status makes him just about must-have. Bailey Smith would be another if he can finally have a bounce back year. Not interested at all in Macrae unless the Bulldogs sack Bevo and fire him into the sun… and even then.

Going to have to hold my nose and pick Nocontact Daicos since he kept defender status. Every man and his dog will own him.

Harley Reid with FWD status is very handy for a line where it’s often hard to find rookies.

They’re the players I find most interesting at first glance.
Is Flanders a must have? The fact he misses Rd3 is a turn off. Could bring him in for Gather round

I like Luke Jackson at first glance. A bit of risk involved but feels like a safe first half option.

Is Flanders a must have? The fact he misses Rd3 is a turn off. Could bring him in for Gather round
So many players I had as walk up starts impacted by this dumb fixture
i thought this would be my easiest starting squad this year but a lot of strategy in play around it now

you can’t avoid them all, it not sure you can pick them all either

So many players I had as walk up starts impacted by this dumb fixture
i thought this would be my easiest starting squad this year but a lot of strategy in play around it now

you can’t avoid them all, it not sure you can pick them all either

Where I've landed is that you'll need a "Round 0 budget" of x # of players, where you're prepared to take the scoring hit for their bye week for the benefit of your overall squad balance for the season. If you start trying to avoid them all it messes things up too much.

Currently thinking that'll be 4-5 players for me, e.g. Gawn, Grundy, Flanders, Walsh and Clarry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back