Position 2024 Fantasy Rookies

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t see the tigers game or much of 2nd half of giants

What’s the low down in these 2

Campbell- solid score but I’d never heard of him and 2 goals boosts that. What was his role/type of player?
On the surface feels like a trap with 2 goals in that team not sustainable and so that stat line makes me think 40-50 may be a more regular sight (but still considering based on my last post on the best strategy to take here)

McMullen- 47 in a half is brilliant. What role was he playing? Heat map shows a lot of ball up on the wings and stat line looks far more repeatable especially with a soft 2 weeks incoming. What was his actual game like and does the ward injury put him in the 22?
McMullen just was everywhere. Kid seemed to be in the picture every second, will do anything for the ball.
I’ll be getting him if he’s named in 22, surely not a sub risk if starting as his energy is 110% however they may like him as a sub on type for some energy (for eg Ned McHenry plays that role fantastically for us)

McMullen just was everywhere. Kid seemed to be in the picture every second, will do anything for the ball.
I’ll be getting him if he’s named in 22, surely not a sub risk if starting as his energy is 110% however they may like him as a sub on type for some energy (for eg Ned McHenry plays that role fantastically for us)
Also the risk he’s like Ned and doesn’t score better in a full game than that burst as sub

Woukd be nice to hear some word from GWS to give confidence.

I think it’s him vs Campbell for me so I’m not really sure what way to go

I'm currently in Canada so struggling with the rookie choices to start the season

Anyone able to list down the ones that are playing or likely to play, maybe with breakevens/scores for the ones that already played?

Got limited connection over here so hard to do the whole research, I'm sure others on the board would agree it would be useful

I'm currently in Canada so struggling with the rookie choices to start the season

Anyone able to list down the ones that are playing or likely to play, maybe with breakevens/scores for the ones that already played?

Got limited connection over here so hard to do the whole research, I'm sure others on the board would agree it would be useful
Below was Catastrophe! list he posted in the Rate my Team Thread. Bolded are the ones I'm starting. You could also mount a case that Dempsey, Windsor, Reid and D'Ambrosio are worthy of a start.

Catastrophe! said:
Of the lower priced players/rooks that are new or on the fringe, we've either had it confirmed/I'm pretty confident that these guys play Round 1:

Coffield
Zilliams
D. Wilson
J. Clark (geel)
Cadman

Dempsey
M. Roberts
McKercher
Sanders
H. Reid

Windsor
Lazzaro
Sexton

Z. Reid
B. Howes
Bonner

D'Ambrosio
Tsatas
N. Watson
Cadman
Carroll
E. Phillips
Nyuon
Fantasia

Below was Catastrophe! list he posted in the Rate my Team Thread. Bolded are the ones I'm starting. You could also mount a case that Dempsey, Windsor, Reid and D'Ambrosio are worthy of a start.

Catastrophe! said:
Of the lower priced players/rooks that are new or on the fringe, we've either had it confirmed/I'm pretty confident that these guys play Round 1:

Coffield
Zilliams
D. Wilson
J. Clark (geel)
Cadman

Dempsey
M. Roberts
McKercher
Sanders
H. Reid

Windsor
Lazzaro
Sexton

Z. Reid
B. Howes
Bonner

D'Ambrosio
Tsatas
N. Watson
Cadman
Carroll
E. Phillips
Nyuon
Fantasia

It's like I saw the future!

...now if only I could apply this to something useful like lottery numbers...

Catastrophe! said:

Coffield
Zilliams
D. Wilson
J. Clark (geel)
Cadman

Dempsey
M. Roberts
McKercher
Sanders
H. Reid

Windsor
Lazzaro
Sexton

Z. Reid
B. Howes
Bonner

D'Ambrosio
Tsatas
N. Watson
Cadman
Carroll
E. Phillips
Nyuon
Fantasia
From that list I see Howes & Roberts with much improved breakeven from Rd0
I have them @ D7 & M9

Zilliams & Sexton for the midish pricers.
I have these @ D6 & F5.

From AFL site freo_leo29
Josh Gibcus (DEF, $256,000)
Score: 39, Breakeven: 11

Bodhi Uwland (DEF, $219,000)
Score: 26, Breakeven: 21

Blake Howes (DEF, $200,000)
Score: 74, Breakeven: -58

Charlie Dean (DEF, $200,000)
Score: 36, Breakeven: 0

Matt Roberts (MID, $245,000)
Score: 91, Breakeven: -71

Caleb Windsor (MID/FWD, $282,000)
Score: 45, Breakeven: 9

Orazio Fantasia (FWD, $269,000)
Score: 33, Breakeven: 24

Kai Lohmann (FWD, $257,000)
Score: 28, Breakeven: 29

Aaron Cadman (FWD, $221,000)
Score: 47, Breakeven: -10

Seth Campbell (FWD, $200,000)
Score: 61, Breakeven: -38

Toby McMullin (FWD, $200,000)
Score: 47, Breakeven: -16

Bailey Laurie (FWD, $200,000)
Score: 26, Breakeven: 16

Harvey Thomas (MID/FWD, $200,000)
Score: 18, Breakeven: 28

So how many rookie priced players are we starting and how strong are the benches?

I'm going with 5 on field but quite a few 'value' pics that are probably a level under the Butters/Green/Petracca types. My only worry is that in the early rounds of best 18 I'm going to leave a lot of points on the bench. So 4 out of my 5 on field rookies won't score, Howes/McKercher/Sanders/Roberts/Reid with 4 of those dropping off.

My take is that those teams with the stronger uber premo mids will probably score better than my team of misfits over those 4 early byes, then of course it comes down to how many of those ubers miss and how strong the bench replacements are.

I'm struggling a little to get my head around it all, round 2 I only have Zilliams out which gives me a loop of Gibcus into Reid and end up with 6 rookies on field

Round 3 Whitfield gives the same option as Zilliams and Sexton is covered by a Wilson/Lazzaro loop, with 7 rookies on field

Round 5 has become a headache, Daicos is the same as the previous 2, Roberts covered by Windsor, Heeney covered by Lazzaro, Jordon covered by Wilson, Grundy covered by Jackson and a loop of Campbell/Cadman covering Jackson. This round sees 9 rookies on field

Round 6, Gawn covered by Jackson and Jackson covered with a Wilson/Lazzaro loop. 6 rookies on field here.

Probably a bit TL;DR but it sort of helps me writing things down
Since you posted it appears that by Rd 5-6 Jackson could be back playing mostly forward.

Better than nothing, though, and certainly at this stage one of very few ruck cover options available.

Last edited:
Since you posted it appears that by Rd 5-6 Jackson could be back playing mostly forward.

Better than nothing, though, and certainly at this stage one of very few ruck cover options available.
will be ideal if he is rucking through rd 6, but if Darcy is back say Rd 4 then Id still probably hold Jackson as I can see him scoring well agains WC in rd 6 even if he isn't 1st/solo ruck. Now if he is a solo ruck at that point then jut WOW

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A LOT of people are cold on him for some reason. He'll have the odd 30 or 40 game but what D7/8 won't?
Well i guess the question is how common those 30 and 40's are. Are we sure he is going to make money?

If absolutely no one else pops up i will jump on i guess but i am concerned those could be his regular scores.

Well i guess the question is how common those 30 and 40's are. Are we sure he is going to make money?

If absolutely no one else pops up i will jump on i guess but i am concerned those could be his regular scores.
I hope he can drop regular 50s at least. We were all looking at Pink and Z.Reid for D7/D8 but how reliable is their money making go to be? At the very least, Gibcus doesn't lose money this week and if someone pops you can flick across.

I will admit it is low priority though. I have considered a red dot at D8 this preseason and getting on Xerri / Conway / Sweet at R3 instead.

Round 5 is my only concern with him being covered by a Cadman/Campbell loop, being best 18 their score probably won't count so all I'm doing is shifting the bye position from R2 to F1

I hope he can drop regular 50s at least. We were all looking at Pink and Z.Reid for D7/D8 but how reliable is their money making go to be? At the very least, Gibcus doesn't lose money this week and if someone pops you can flick across.

I will admit it is low priority though. I have considered a red dot at D8 this preseason and getting on Xerri / Conway / Sweet at R3 instead.
All very fair points, I guess I’m just slightly more pessimistic about his scoring. I think 50 is closer to his ceiling than his regular scores. Wasn’t overly keen on Pink but at least with him he was 50k cheaper which feels substantial when there already isn’t much meat on the bone in terms of cash gen. I hadn’t really considered throwing the position away and going deep in rucks, could be a decent shout but it leaves you very very thin down back if you get any injuries.

Last edited:
All very fair points, I guess I’m just slightly more pessimistic about his scoring. I think 50 is closer to his ceiling than his regular scores. Wasn’t overly keen on Pink but at least with him he was 50k cheaper which feels substantial when there already isn’t much meat on the bone in terms of cash gen. I hadn’t really considered throwing the position away and going deep in rucks, could be a decent shout but it leaves you very very thin down back if you get any injuries.
For me it's bye coverage as well, admittedly their scores drop off but you never know. Howes at D6 with a BE -58 (can't be right) Gibcus BE 11 and Reid on the pine, I have defence players missing rounds 2-3-5 so can loop Gibcus/Reid/Howes on each of those rounds. Gibcus and Howes miss round 6 leaving Reid at D6.

Gibcus and Howes will have played 6 games by round 5 and could be ready to be culled in round 7 once DPP additions happen. Martin, McKercher, Fisher and Sexton in my team will/could take 1 or 2 defence positions with a rookie downgrade available on all of the other lines including defence

Cadman or S.Campbell?

I quite like Cadman, i think he can score quite well against north at home and then the eagles, with potentially an early switch at his bye.

Main reason im hesistating is i didnt watch the richmond game and dont know much about campbell...

anyone else toying between these two? or any other 240k or lower rooks that you like more?

Can't pick Campbell now, IMO. Last listed on the bench, and prime candidate for either being subbed in, or subbed out.

Just came to say the same thing. Unless you can get in in tomorrows window just before the game and after the subs confirmed, I’d stay away.

Lucky for me, I’m stuck at work tomorrow evening :( what great timing
as teams are released.

Cadman or S.Campbell?

I quite like Cadman, i think he can score quite well against north at home and then the eagles, with potentially an early switch at his bye.

Main reason im hesistating is i didnt watch the richmond game and dont know much about campbell...

anyone else toying between these two? or any other 240k or lower rooks that you like more?
I’ve got Campbell based on him having that 60 at least guaranteeing some early rise. But I don’t love the pick at all knowing he will prob score 40s-50s and like you I didn’t see his game.

Cadman relying a lot on the early draw for him to have a pop game but just doesn’t have any track record of scoring.

McMullen scored well in a half but does have to be a big sub risk still.

It’s slim pickings. I did you with a structure that removed the need for any but ended up going with the extra premium player structure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back