Fixture 2024 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

This round 0 is so dumb. Those 8 teams get a second bye at some stage which is a massive advantage at being fresh towards the end of the season
Is playing these games in NSW/QLD when there is no NRL going to move the needle at all for the AFL? The majority of the people in these states will never care for the game no matter what you do.

So if the Melbourne talk is true, we have been shafted by the draw for a second year running.

Why can’t these ******* idiots just have those 4 games as the start of the round? Opening game Thursday night, 1 game each on Friday night, Saturday afternoon, Saturday twilight. Then have a Western Derby on Saturday night (best for time difference so the other games can be true “stand-alone”, everyone else on the Sunday.

Interesting to see how the G holds up, we’ll be 4th on deck by the time our game rolls around. When is the last time we played at the G on a Sunday? The Hawks 4th quarter comeback?

Before the full fume starts over this, the only way the AFL can not compromise the game any more is that the proper round 1 has those first 8 clubs mixed up to play each other in round 2, and not have a teams first game being against a team playing their second.

Before the full fume starts over this, the only way the AFL can not compromise the game any more is that the proper round 1 has those first 8 clubs mixed up to play each other in round 2, and not have a teams first game being against a team playing their second.
They've already got 4 of the club's playing each other the following week. Scheduling the other two games in that direction clearly just too much to ask of the AFL.

This round 0 is so dumb. Those 8 teams get a second bye at some stage which is a massive advantage at being fresh towards the end of the season
What does everyone expect the AFL are being Run by Idiots so it’s a given that they will come up with something so dumb like Round 0

Round 0 is it? Didn't catch that on the ABC report, but I couldn't hear all of it.

Looking forward to 2025 and the season starting with Round -1.

And Tassie to eventually kick off their inaugural season with a home game on New Years' Day... as a standalone game for Round -0.0001

Most stupid concept ever. The AFL somehow thinks playing stand alone games for one weekend will help grow the game in that state? I seriously doubt someone is thinking they will lace up or buy a membership next year, purely because no one else is playing that weekend.

Also the apparent byes across the first 6 weeks, for the "round zero" teams are not even necessary. Why not just split round one into two weekends, and play the other games the weekend after? Solves the stupid bye issue. Where some teams may get two byes (handy if you get one in week 6 and one in week 14). Plus some teams playing their first game vs a team that is playing their second.

The new bloke is only weeks into his new job, and I already think he is a bigger flog than Gillion.

Round 0 is it? Didn't catch that on the ABC report, but I couldn't hear all of it.

Looking forward to 2025 and the season starting with Round -1.

And Tassie to eventually kick off their inaugural season with a home game on New Years' Day... as a standalone game for Round -0.0001
To celebrate Tasmanian heritage they should make it a double header.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only time we have had a home game in round 1 since 2010 against a Vic side was against Collingwood...in 2020...when there was a zero crowd due to Covid. The AFL systemically discriminates against us in the distribution of home games for financial returns.
Only one Round 1 home game in 13 years? Surely you are mistaken! Blatant discrimination imo opinion designed to keep us dependent on AFL support and as a consequence subservient.
Remind me again, why does the AFL have an ethics department?

Does anyone know if " oh what the f**k " round will be played this year?

Most stupid concept ever. The AFL somehow thinks playing stand alone games for one weekend will help grow the game in that state? I seriously doubt someone is thinking they will lace up or buy a membership next year, purely because no one else is playing that weekend.

Also the apparent byes across the first 6 weeks, for the "round zero" teams are not even necessary. Why not just split round one into two weekends, and play the other games the weekend after? Solves the stupid bye issue. Where some teams may get two byes (handy if you get one in week 6 and one in week 14). Plus some teams playing their first game vs a team that is playing their second.

The new bloke is only weeks into his new job, and I already think he is a bigger flog than Gillion.
I'm on board as long as they also introduce a Category X rookie list forcing the Round 0 clubs to sign at least 2 former NRL players on 1-week contracts and they must play. Bring back Karmichael and Izzy! It's the only way to grow the game in NSW and QLD.

Last edited:
Hate round zero, love Thursday night footy. Can't wait till it's a full season thing (maybe except bye rounds).

Moving one game that I wasn't able to watch because it was in the exact same timeslot as another game on Saturday, to a stand alone Thursday night is excellent. I love coming home from work and watching footy on a Thursday night :D.

Why is everyone so stressed. We'll just have a game against Footscray that week and go into round 1 full of confidence. Might even bring Darcy back in as a 4th tall if he can kick a bag on Josh Kellet.
It’ll be interesting to see what we do this year, I’d hope our internal review identified that we made a big mistake last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back