The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Leaks already starting to come out regarding the fixture.

The AFL is keen for a Suns v Richmond opening round match at HBS the weekend of 8-10 March. The AFL want 4 games in the northern states to kick off the season.

Collingwood also keen to play the Suns on the Gold Coast after their Easter Thursday match at the Gabba however that weekend would be the Gather Round matches in Adelaide so that idea wouldn't work.

A third marquee game in round 1 could see Richmond play the Suns on the Gold Coast in a bid to capitalise on the Suns’ luring of former Tigers coach Damien Hardwick.

Collingwood is also exploring with the AFL the possibility of playing Brisbane in their now traditional Easter Thursday match at the Gabba and then staying in Queensland for a week to play Gold Coast.

AFL boss Andrew Dillon has spoken to clubs about the machinations of round 1 and an exact schedule is up in the air.

“We are currently working through club requests and in the infancy of constructing next season’s AFL fixture. The full fixture will be released in November,” an AFL spokesperson said.

Leaks already starting to come out regarding the fixture.

The AFL is keen for a Suns v Richmond opening round match at HBS the weekend of 8-10 March. The AFL want 4 games in the northern states to kick off the season.

Collingwood also keen to play the Suns on the Gold Coast after their Easter Thursday match at the Gabba however that weekend would be the Gather Round matches in Adelaide so that idea wouldn't work.
Sounds like the AFL are expecting us to jump into a top 8 position next year and we'll host multiple big fixtures at home throughout the season. Richmond @ The Bank in round 1 would be massive with the Dimma storyline, but also hosting defending premiers Collingwood in the first week of April during school holidays will be big. I'd say there's a good chance we'll host one of Carlton or Essendon next year too.

Sounds like the AFL are expecting us to jump into a top 8 position next year and we'll host multiple big fixtures at home throughout the season. Richmond @ The Bank in round 1 would be massive with the Dimma storyline, but also hosting defending premiers Collingwood in the first week of April during school holidays will be big. I'd say there's a good chance we'll host one of Carlton or Essendon next year too.
Collingwood in first week it april at the Bank won’t happen due to Gather Round

Surely the AFL don’t end the illustrious tradition that they have forced on us for the last decade in Richmond v Carlton just to send the Tigers up here?
They've done it before in round 1 of the 2014 season. It went well for us with an 18 point win over the Tigers in front of a 20k home crowd and it set us up well to secure 7 wins over the first 10 rounds of the season.

They've done it before in round 1 of the 2014 season. It went well for us with an 18 point win over the Tigers in front of a 20k home crowd and it set us up well to secure 7 wins over the first 10 rounds of the season.
Was there that game, Jack Martin did his shoulder from memory.

According to this, it mentions we will play Richmond R1 at HBS. Could also be a prime time Thursday or Friday night game as the article mentions that NSW games will be on the Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.

According to this, it mentions we will play Richmond R1 at HBS. Could also be a prime time Thursday or Friday night game as the article mentions that NSW games will be on the Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.

I would think lions Friday night Suns Saturday afternoon/twilight

I called this months ago and some on here shot me down.. looks like I was right. Bring on the tigers round 1!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast and its new senior coach Damien Hardwick could also be the big winner from Marvel Stadium’s early unavailability as the Suns could open the season with a pair of home games at Metricon Stadium in “Round Zero” and round 1.

Gold Coast is set to host Richmond in “Round Zero” as part of the four-game northern-states extravaganza across March 8-10, pitting Hardwick against some of his Tigers’ premiership stars on the opening weekend.

A pair of Gold Coast home games would be an ideal start to the 2024 season for the Suns who are desperate to make the finals for the first time next year after making the big call to part with coach Stuart Dew mid-season.

Anyone know when pre-season training commences?
I assume you'll be in the same timeline as hawthorn, and this is what they have on their site.

Monday 13 November

• AFL Draft Nominations close (by 3pm)
  • Hawthorn's first to four year players return for pre-season training
Monday 20 November

• AFL National Draft - Round 1
  • Hawthorn's five-plus year players return for pre-season training

Gather Round
while Mount Barker in the Adelaide Hills will host Sydney's clash with West Coast on the Saturday and Gold Coast v Greater Western Sydney on the Sunday.

Home teams for each game in Gather Round will be confirmed when the full 2024 Toyota AFL Premiership Season fixture is released later this week.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back