2024 Fixture

Did the AFL actually compensate us in the fixture for last year's finals debacle?

• Sort of - Better difficulty, but commercial fixture as expected or worse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Can never take much notice of this, aside from notoriously difficult trips (I.e Geelong).

Some teams slide and become easy beats, or get decimated by injury, others surprise to the upside. There’s even good and terrible times to play teams over the course of a season.
Eg last year, we got port at the right time (before their streak).

Why do clubs need a bye in the first 3 rounds? Getting over a big pre-season.

But that was before Gold Coast and GWS entered the comp in 2011/2012.
if there are say 22 games played in the minor round, 11 are home. Of the away games, 7/17 clubs are non-Vic. So only ~41% of the 11 games should be not in Vic. We should get 6-7 games in Vic per year, altho Showdown double up every year brings it down a bit more. But 4 games is still skinny. We definitely play more than our share of away games outside Vic.

if there are say 22 games played in the minor round, 11 are home. Of the away games, 7/17 clubs are non-Vic. So only ~41% of the 11 games should be not in Vic. We should get 6-7 games in Vic per year, altho Showdown double up every year brings it down a bit more. But 4 games is still skinny. We definitely play more than our share of away games outside Vic.

Well you can't inc Port in that 7 as they are also based in Adelaide so its 6/16. The added problem is you have the likes of Hawthorn and NM selling 4 games each into Tasmania and Doggies selling 2 into Ballarat. That is 10 games taken out. I'd expect a total of 5 games in Vic which could be 4 MCG/Marvel and 1 in Geelong or occasionally 6 games in Vic in total.

It's a s**t time slot for attending our biggest marquee game with the ledger on the line. If you want to enjoy it properly, have to take a day off the next day.

I should add that I could really care less about TV ratings and things that matter to administrators. If I have to take a mortgage out on my kidneys to buy a damn season ticket I'd like to maximise my enjoyment.

Disagree, I love Thursday night footy. Not sure how many we’ve played, but we always get a good crowd?

Really would love the club to make Thursday night home games their thing. Sell out every home game and make it a marquee fixture. Melbourne fans are too precious for Thursday games and prefer it on TV, so could make it advantage to get consistent prime time exposure.

Essendon at Marvel
Pies at MCG
Cats at Skilled
Dockers in Perth
Lions at Gabba

Tough games
Funny thing is Freo has the cats Only once. It's in Perth.

Amazing that dockers can't win at many away venues out side of WA.

Yet in 2022 and 2023 dockers beat demons at MCG and cats in Geelongistan in both years.

Dockers reward? Play demons in northern territory and cats in Perth.

You think Freo getting 14th. It would mean double ups vs other bottom 6 clubs. Nope only bottom 6 club we got twice is our local rivals west coast. LoL.

Other double ups are Brisbane, demons, tigers, swans, dogs and port. 3 of them made top 8. Other 2 finished 9th to 12th.

Only got the crows once, that's in WA. I think crows will finally beat the dockers in Perth stadium

I'm curious with crows double ups.

Disagree, I love Thursday night footy. Not sure how many we’ve played, but we always get a good crowd?

Really would love the club to make Thursday night home games their thing. Sell out every home game and make it a marquee fixture. Melbourne fans are too precious for Thursday games and prefer it on TV, so could make it advantage to get consistent prime time exposure.
1700132744923.png
I'm pretty sure that North Melbourne game in 2016 was pouring rain as well.

I love Thursday night football too.......

When we are not playing!

Maybe the Victorian clubs will let us go through their bins for scraps later if we're polite about it.

View attachment 1854145
I'm pretty sure that North Melbourne game in 2016 was pouring rain as well.

Other than 'first game in gather round', they were all before our crowds fell off a cliff.

Also people concerned about going to work after getting on it on a Thursday night....

They need to either start taking their drinking more seriously and get piss-fit, or book a leave day for Fri/chuck a sickie if they can't handle it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also people concerned about going to work after getting on it on a Thursday night....

They need to either start taking their drinking more seriously and get piss-fit, or book a leave day for Fri/chuck a sickie if they can't handle it.

I'm sure you can mop perfectly fine hungover tough guy

Maybe that’s why I love Thursday night footy. Work from home so don’t mind the odd hangover on a work day. Just means weekend starts a day early.

Maybe that’s why I love Thursday night footy. Work from home so don’t mind the odd hangover on a work day. Just means weekend starts a day early.

Look, I understand that there might be one or two a year. I just didn't want it to be our home showdown, which is always a big event.

I don't think there's enough advil in the world to get me moving after a 'we re-take the Showdown ledger after half a decade of bottoming out' kick ons.

Use it to atmosphere up some otherwise non descript match

I think these are the double up matches: Port, Sydney, Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, Brisbane

and a one off NM in Hobart. We rarely win there.

Thats not an easy draw imho
Brisbane is a tough double up as is several others. But other than Brisbane who look like a top 4 lock, we're competing against all the others for a finals spot. I think it's good to have so many "eight point" games.

One aspect where our fixture worries me is the very long wait until our bye. I think it's round 15. Many teams have had two byes by then.
We might have to "manage" a few players along the way?

I like thursday night footy too. its also a free to air game.

Shocked I tells ya. I am shocked that Hardwick has been given the easiest fixture. So shocked

High Quality Im Shocked GIF

Back