Fixture 2024 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
So from what we can gather from the H-Sun, the current draft fixture has us not playing in Round 0, at Geelong in Round 1 (opening of the new taxpayer funded grandstand), and at home at the MCG Round 2 v Collingwood on a Thursday night (which makes the Geelong game more likely to be Friday night but not certain).

Please add any other snippets here.

If we started the season with wins against Geelong and Collingwood I’d be a very happy chap. My personal arch rivals, especially for a Ross Lyon team.

Nah, Cats aren’t the same team as they’ve been. Their 30+ year olds are unlikely to improve. The Pies will be having a premiership hangover for the first half of the year. We’ll be 2 zip and in the top four where we will stay.

Still a hard side to play in Geelong. I think they'd lost 12 games in 10 years or something until last season. We haven't won down there too often. Maybe once since Tim Watson was coach?

Cats start very slowly, have for years. With all the oldies in the team and the window slamming shut this only increases. Even at a ground where we often lose, I'd go in reasonably confident.

Definitely the best time in the season to get a win off them anyway.

So from what we can gather from the H-Sun, the current draft fixture has us not playing in Round 0, at Geelong in Round 1 (opening of the new taxpayer funded grandstand), and at home at the MCG Round 2 v Collingwood on a Thursday night (which makes the Geelong game more likely to be Friday night but not certain).

Please add any other snippets here.
HS also reports Coll vs Syd Fri night Rd 1, & Carl vs Rich will be Thurs night so we’ll be playing Sat night vs Cats then Coll off a 5 day break. Of course the afl would give us a 5 day break at the first opportunity. Coll game should be a Sat night too if they want to maximise crowd numbers I would have thought.

Still a hard side to play in Geelong. I think they'd lost 12 games in 10 years or something until last season. We haven't won down there too often. Maybe once since Tim Watson was coach?
But when was the last time we played them there when we were good? When we are at the top of the ladder and drawing big crowds, we tend not to play there.

But when was the last time we played them there when we were good? When we are at the top of the ladder and drawing big crowds, we tend not to play there.

Just tried to look it up. In 2021 they were running at 89% at home in the last 15 years. Lost 11 home games in that same period. Won 97. That's a handy home ground advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember Ross Lyon famously coached Freo to a win at Geelong, an important final too!

Freo are the one side that has a positive record down there for some reason. I think they accounted for something like 6 of the 12 wins or something unusual like that.

Freo are the one side that has a positive record down there for some reason. I think they accounted for something like 6 of the 12 wins or something unusual like that.
Don’t forgot about GWS having a great record playing down there as well.

Unfortunately, we won’t be talking about my team’s record in Geelong anytime soon :$

Cats start very slowly, have for years. With all the oldies in the team and the window slamming shut this only increases. Even at a ground where we often lose, I'd go in reasonably confident.

Definitely the best time in the season to get a win off them anyway.
They also start slowly because they go deep in finals and start their pre season later. Not this year.

I would much rather play them later.

Just tried to look it up. In 2021 they were running at 89% at home in the last 15 years. Lost 11 home games in that same period. Won 97. That's a handy home ground advantage.

Going to try and look it up myself but my question would be- what is the home ground win % uplift at home vs away.

If you wanted to get really needy too it'd be good to see the results weighted based on opponent.

My suspicion in both cases is they do in fact have a home ground advantage but it isn't as big as everyone thinks it is.

Geelong Collingwood and Richmond in the first month. Not bad at all
Unless they schedule us against the Dogs Blues Bombers Hawthorn or North in round 3.

Then we don’t play at Marvel in the first month and considering the Pies is a “Home” game.

It looks likely we head interstate

Unless they schedule us against the Dogs Blues Bombers Hawthorn or North in round 3.

Then we don’t play at Marvel in the first month and considering the Pies is a “Home” game.

I would highly doubt we will have to wait until Round 5 to get to Marvel.

Round 3 is Easter. Here are our Easter fixtures in the "GWS era":

2023: Gold Coast at Home (W)
2022: Gold Coast at Home (W)
2021: Essendon away (L)
2020: N/A
2019: Melbourne away (W)
2018: North Melbourne away (Good Friday match) (L)
2017: Collingwood away (W)
2016: Port Adelaide away (L)
2015: GWS at Home (L)
2014: Essendon away (W)
2013: Gold Coast away (L)
2012: Gold Coast at Home (W)

So in 11 fixtures we've played the Gold Coast four times and Essendon twice. But Easter does rule out North Melbourne, Carlton, Brisbane, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Geelong and Richmond (because we are playing them the week after).

If I had to bet, I would back us playing an interstate team at home on Easter weekend, as has happened four times out of 11.

Last edited:

I don't mind it, good challenge for us first up. Good chance to upset a few early in the year when form isn't a thing too.

I would highly doubt we will have to wait until Round 5 to get to Marvel.

Round 3 is Easter. Here are our Easter fixtures in the "GWS era":

2023: Gold Coast at Home (W)
2022: Gold Coast at Home (W)
2021: Essendon away (L)
2020: N/A
2019: Melbourne away (W)
2018: North Melbourne away (Good Friday match) (L)
2017: Collingwood away (W)
2016: Port Adelaide away (L)
2015: GWS at Home (L)
2014: Essendon away (W)
2013: Gold Coast away (L)
2012: Gold Coast at Home (W)

So in 11 fixtures we've played the Gold Coast four times and Essendon twice. But Easter does rule out Brisbane, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Geelong (so really just Brisbane & Hawthorn considering fixture leaks), and Richmond are also out for that reason.

If I had to bet, I would back us playing an interstate team at home on Easter weekend, as has happened four times out of 11.
Didn’t realise it was Easter, So the relevant question is in how many of those fixtures you listed, did we play a home game the week prior?

Again, we are hoping for Essendon North Carlton or the Dogs to land a game at Marvel in round 3 - but as you touched on the fact it’s Easter. North will play the dogs on Good Friday and Hawthorn grab Geelong on Monday.

So really Essendon or Carlton otherwise it’s very realistic we travel.

Cost of wanting the Pies at the G as a home game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back