AFLW 2024 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at the cricket, which is further along the path on this, the Sixers have a single account and it's pretty seamless.
And they get a fraction of the attendance that AFLW gets. Consequently the WBBL season is about to get shorter, so I'm not sure cricket's way demands replication.

Aren't they shortening from previously having a longer season than the men? 14 games in the women's vs 10 in the men's, and it's turned out that shorter works better in the men's anyway.

At any rate, I would definitely prefer social media consolidation by clubs and bigfooty club board consolidation to boot.

The AFL's 2023 Annual Report states last H&A season had 4.95m viewers, which is an average of 54,969 per game and obviously a fair way off the magic 100k mark needed this year to trigger 14 rounds next year (instead of 12).

Getting to the 6k average for H&A crowds will be much easier (even though there's a bigger gap to bridge) if the potential for early season double-headers with men's games are fully utilised... although there's no indication that the AFL is particularly interested in doing that.
I am wondering if you have any information on viewing audience and attendance on VFL games as I almost always go if the game is either at home or suburbs and I don't think the crowds at some games are more than a couple of 1000's. I imagine the costs are just as much if not more to field a team.

Also just on the social media side of the players, I have found them to be very generous with their time and on many occasions replying to followers.

Aren't they shortening from previously having a longer season than the men? 14 games in the women's vs 10 in the men's, and it's turned out that shorter works better in the men's anyway.
Yes, BBL crowds didn't reach desired benchmarks for a few seasons because CA's fixturing stopped adequately prioritising attendance. It wasn't because of how players and teams ran their social media accounts.

I am wondering if you have any information on viewing audience and attendance on VFL games as I almost always go if the game is either at home or suburbs and I don't think the crowds at some games are more than a couple of 1000's. I imagine the costs are just as much if not more to field a team.
The WAFL gets greater average attendance than the VFL, which is still less than two-thirds of the average AFLW crowd. Naturally AFLW TV viewership is much higher too, but that's not really a fair comparison given the vast difference in breadth of coverage.

Make no mistake a typical AFL-aligned VFL team on any given weekend (which would include approx. 11 AFL-listed players on $200k/year) is easily earning more than what an entire AFLW squad gets paid ($1.8m in 2023, $2m in 2024).

It wasn't because of how players and teams ran their social media accounts.
Didn't say it was. I said the cricket is further along the path than footy, ie in how they treat the women's game. That means things like pay, general media coverage, and in the sport taking a unified cross gender approach to how it presents itself.

Didn't say it was.
A previous poster said players should post more videos of themselves walking their dogs because it'll help draw the number of viewers needed to trigger the season extension clause.

I don't know what relevant point you were making about social media, given this is a fixture thread, but it did provide a good springboard to further reject that earlier poster's suggestion.

I said the cricket is further along the path than footy, ie in how they treat the women's game. That means things like pay, general media coverage, and in the sport taking a unified cross gender approach to how it presents itself.
Except here's the truth:
  • The 140th best women's cricketer in Australia isn't making any money. But the 540th best AFLW player is making $56k this year, so that puts footy a fair way in front on the matter of pay.
  • Women's footy gets 4x the amount of media coverage of women's cricket, and it gets a better ratio in terms of share with men's footy/cricket coverage.
  • The national men's and women's cricket teams have separate social media accounts, just like AFL clubs.
And most relevantly, fixturing for AFLW is also much better than CA's fixturing of women's cricket. Nevertheless, there are easy improvements the AFL can and ought to make, a few of which I've mentioned on page 1.

Personally I only follow AFLW so fully consolidated social media would be annoying for me. And I think they get a lot of backlash from people who are only fans of the men's, like whenever AFL or 7's AFL page posts something about the women on facebook, it's a cesspool. But this leaves a weird situation where, say, the 'main' Swans channels do want to post women's news sometimes... but then people say it should only be on the women's page since one exists... Don't know the answer.

MORE GAMES IN BIGGER STADIUMS?
Let us not waste anymore time on this issue. If the AFL bean counters change their mind, great, but for the time being: just get over it, and accept AFLW games will almost exclusively be played at small suburban venues.
Orrr instead let's headline a nothing article about stadium funding with the bombshell that AFLW games won't be played at Marvel Stadium this year...

...sorry, perhaps somebody could remind me, which club is requesting to play AFLW home games there??

Orrr instead let's headline a nothing article about stadium funding with the bombshell that AFLW games won't be played at Marvel Stadium this year...

...sorry, perhaps somebody could remind me, which club is requesting to play AFLW home games there??
Hawthorn and Essendon requested rd 1 be a repeat fixture at Marvel

Hawthorn and Essendon requested rd 1 be a repeat fixture at Marvel
No they didn't.

Every club is happy to be the away team at Marvel, nobody wants to give up any of their home games to play there.

No they didn't.

Every club is happy to be the away team at Marvel, nobody wants to give up any of their home games to play there.
I can tell you, both did request it. My source is from several aflw staff (and not the boot studder)

The hawks and bombers requested rd 1 each year at marvel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can tell you, both did request it. My source is from several aflw staff (and not the boot studder)

The hawks and bombers requested rd 1 each year at marvel
Requesting to play each other at Marvel is not the same as requesting a home game there (strange how neither club ever mentioned the venue in their bids for a licence... just slipped their minds!).

Essendon were happy to move a home game there in 2022 because they hadn't yet worked out an arrangement at Windy Hill. Hawthorn made a lot of noise to get the game moved in 2022 because it wasn't their home game anyway.

Noticeably the campaigns to move the game to Marvel last year were non-existent. In fact I seem to recall a lot of "we love Frankston" stuff emanating from Hawthorn spokespersons.

The 6 v 5 should be obvious.

All teams play 5 home, 5 away. Then you have a "neutral" game for 6

Adelaide vs Port Adelaide at Adelaide oval
Fremantle vs West Coast at optus stadium
Sydney vs greater Western Sydney at scg/Hansen Park
Brisbane vs Gold Coast at gabba
Then do a couple of doubke/triple headers.

Do north Melbourne vs Melbourne and Collingwood vs Carlton on a Friday night
Then essendon vs Richmond, Western bulldogs vs Geelong and St kilda vs hawthorn on the Sunday the week of the afl gf?

The 6 v 5 should be obvious.

All teams play 5 home, 5 away. Then you have a "neutral" game for 6

Adelaide vs Port Adelaide at Adelaide oval
Fremantle vs West Coast at optus stadium
Sydney vs greater Western Sydney at scg/Hansen Park
Brisbane vs Gold Coast at gabba
Then do a couple of doubke/triple headers.

Do north Melbourne vs Melbourne and Collingwood vs Carlton on a Friday night
Then essendon vs Richmond, Western bulldogs vs Geelong and St kilda vs hawthorn on the Sunday the week of the afl gf?
It's obvious to screw Port Adelaide out of a home showdown at Alberton Oval? After they had to play the Crows at Norwood last year?

It's obvious that's not going to happen, just like your other suggestions.

North Melbourne chose to renew their deal with the Tas govt, so idk why that entitles them to an extra home game (which would draw a smaller crowd than an extra Geelong or Essendon home game).

It's obvious to screw Port Adelaide out of a home showdown at Alberton Oval? After they had to play the Crows at Norwood last year?

It's obvious that's not going to happen, just like your other suggestions.

North Melbourne chose to renew their deal with the Tas govt, so idk why that entitles them to an extra home game (which would draw a smaller crowd than an extra Geelong or Essendon home game).
The Showdown at Norwood oval locked fans out.
And that was WITH the AFL STUPIDLY scheduling it to clash with the Adelaide Football Leagues Womens GFs occuring at the same time across town.

Never should have been at norwood Oval to begin with.

All those derbys should be neutral (and yes, I know I suggest SCG and Gabba, but those 2 grounds aren't even used by the womens teams as they play at Hansen/NSO and their training grounds respectivly)

The Showdown at Norwood oval locked fans out.
Well it didn't. So there's that.

Such rewriting of history reminds me of Caroline Wilson on television today: "They packed out Adelaide Oval at the AFLW Grand Final, and yet Adelaide Oval didn't get to host the next time the Crows played in the grand final."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back