Strategy 2024 game plan

Remove this Banner Ad

For such a positive guy you sure have gone negative on this based on a handful of players. Watch most other teams and they have significantly worse kicking skills than we do.

Looking at our squad I'd have Houston and Farrell as elite kickers (as in, top 20 in the comp level) with Williams, Butters, McKenzie, Rozee, Horne-Francis, Burton, Marshall and Rioli all excellent kickers.

The only two guys I cringe when they have the ball are Bergman and Wines. Everyone else I'd rate as average (including Boak).

Obviously this is for field kicking only. Set shot kicking and most of them are awful.
Farrell is top 1 in the comp.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm pretty sure it was "don't lead on a slow play". I'm not certain but the point of a slow play is to see if someone can get through the corridor for either a shirt kick or running handball receive. When that receiver gets the ball, then the forward leads.

I'm no Ken fan but he wouldn't have been saying never lead to the ball lol
That's exactly it - but the Ken haters just want to hate.

For such a positive guy you sure have gone negative on this based on a handful of players. Watch most other teams and they have significantly worse kicking skills than we do.

Looking at our squad I'd have Houston and Farrell as elite kickers (as in, top 20 in the comp level) with Williams, Butters, McKenzie, Rozee, Horne-Francis, Burton, Marshall and Rioli all excellent kickers.

The only two guys I cringe when they have the ball are Bergman and Wines. Everyone else I'd rate as average (including Boak).

Obviously this is for field kicking only. Set shot kicking and most of them are awful.
That's because set shot kicking is more mental than physical and other teams don't have a coach who tells them how scared and anxious they should be all the time.

I’m saying we need to have more.
Hawthorn in there hay days drafted basically on players with above average kicking skills.
You can never have enough players with good foot skills.
I’m not saying we as a team are bad but it’s something that should be taken more into consideration when drafting.
Our goal kicking especially in night home matches is shocking.

Forwards within range, take your set shots. That's what you are paid for.
Scrap the kick around the corner, its no better than a set shot.

Like Dew in 04.

I think it is a bit like 3 point shooting in the NBA. The numbers add up.

Whilst the goal kicking percentage might be slightly down from that distance it is still way higher than the chances of a successful pass AND a successful shot from closer in.
I think it’s those 30-35m pretty much straight in front that frustrates people.
All this pressure acts by forwards shyt has clouded what forwards are there to do and that’s kick goals.
The game has become so complex the basics have been forgotten.

I’m saying we need to have more.
Hawthorn in there hay days drafted basically on players with above average kicking skills.
You can never have enough players with good foot skills.
I’m not saying we as a team are bad but it’s something that should be taken more into consideration when drafting.
Our goal kicking especially in night home matches is shocking.
From the little form I've seen of Anastasopoulos, he seems to have a very nice boot on him.
After 1 game, Soldo was also better than expected with the boot.

That's because set shot kicking is more mental than physical and other teams don't have a coach who tells them how scared and anxious they should be all the time.

It's infuriating that in another thread i'm having to defend Butcher's mental disintegration as the reason for him shinning them out on the full, when every single player who has arrived at the club has gotten significantly worse, whether they were drafted here or brought in from other clubs. Butcher just started from a lower bar techniquewise.

Finlayson, Marshall and Georgiades have spent time in their careers as some of the best set shots in the league. Automatic. Perfect technique, dobbing them from anywhere. Even Dixon was a terrific set shot at Gold Coast and his first couple of seasons here. They all since become laughably unreliable.

It'll never be addressed under Hinkley because nobody can handle any pressure whatsoever under Hinkley.

I was hoping that by bringing in tall defenders we wouldn’t press so aggressively this year. It’s clear, over the preseason and round 1, that hasn’t changed. I hope it does as our defence settles.

West Coast are a bottom team for skills and ball movement so conceding 2.1 from kick ins plus roughly another goal a quarter from the ball getting over the back is a real alarm bell for me.

If a bad team like West Coast is able to somewhat execute a game plan to score against us we will continue to struggle against top 4 teams.
Yes!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needed to lecture Mead on why it was his fault the player ran off the mark, and therefore no 50 was given
I hate that rule change, the only reason Mead didn't give the handball was because the defender had moved off the mark to cover the receiving player. And opening up that handball receive is one of the big advantages of the stand rule.

And the only reason that players hang onto the ball is because the AFL will not pay a 50 against the guy leaving the mark in that situation. It'll be, you took the risk in handballing to the covered player so too bad.

I hate that rule change, the only reason Mead didn't give the handball was because the defender had moved off the mark to cover the receiving player. And opening up that handball receive is one of the big advantages of the stand rule.

And the only reason that players hang onto the ball is because the AFL will not pay a 50 against the guy leaving the mark in that situation. It'll be, you took the risk in handballing to the covered player so too bad.
And then when they do take the risk and handball it and score a goal, too bad we're bringing it back!

I love the ball in JHF's hands for set shots. So balanced, so confident. Hope I haven't put the mozz on him :D

Last edited:
11 of our 16 goals came from the midfield or defence.

I guess that is one way to overcome the forwardline inefficiencies.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I get what you’re saying, although JHF and Soldo were resting forward.

I imagine if we could get 3-5 goals out of our backs and wings a week, it would be a huge win.

Giving this a bump.

Magpies game also saw easy transition from HB to forward line for the opposition.

I'm pretty sure it's a gameplan issue rather than personnel and I bet at some point an AFL side that actually uses the ball well is going to give us a big lesson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back