2024 Grand Final Predictions?

Remove this Banner Ad

30 is not old any longer in terms of footy, with modern training and rehabilitation techniques a dedicated, professional player can play great footy until at least 33 years of age IMO.

30 is not old any longer in terms of footy, with modern training and rehabilitation techniques a dedicated, professional player can play great footy until at least 33 years of age IMO.
It's a combination of being an aged list and making the grand final, it will affect them. Geelong fell out of the 8 after winning their 2022 premiership with their aged list, when many expected them to give it another crack, but they were cooked. Time will tell, but I was right about Geelong being cooked when I predicted in late 2022 they'd fall out of the 8 the following year, likely will happen to Brisbane. I think either they will fall out or barely make the 8.

easy

Look at Scott Pendy. It's getting that way with Boxers too nowadays. Times have changed a lot.

easy

Look at Scott Pendy. It's getting that way with Boxers too nowadays. Times have changed a lot.
It's not necessarily a time difference, since Brisbane had more over 30 players in their 2003 premiership and were able to give it another crack in 2004, but they had the momentum going into 2004, but then completely fell a part after their Grand final loss. Grand final losses really affect teams. Some can bounce back, others fall a part.

It's a combination of being an aged list and making the grand final, it will affect them. Geelong fell out of the 8 after winning their 2022 premiership with their aged list, when many expected them to give it another crack, but they were cooked. Time will tell, but I was right about Geelong being cooked when I predicted in late 2022 they'd fall out of the 8 the following year, likely will happen to Brisbane. I think either they will fall out or barely make the 8.
The Lions list of players aged 26 and under who are nominal best 22-23 as of now, so at an absolute minimum 4 years left > Eric Hipwood, Callum Ah Chee, Jarrod Berry, Hugh McCluggage, Brandon Starcevich, Zac Bailey, Jack Payne, Cam Rayner, Keidean Coleman, Dev Robertson, Darcy Wilmot, Jaspa Fletcher, Will Ashcroft + top 3 rated prospect Levi Ashcroft coming in this years draft.

Harris Andrews and Josh Dunkley only turned 27 in the last couple of months, Tom Doedee turned 27 yesterday.

The 3 that will be difficult to "replace" are Lachie Neale who is 30, Charlie Cameron turns 30 June this year and Joe Daniher is 30 on Monday, barring injury IMO they are not an unrealistic chance to play on for another 3 seasons(including 2024).

The 3 oldest players on our list are Dayne Zorko(35), Jarryd Lyons(31) and Ryan Lester(31)... Lyons is depth, Lester replaced by Doedee and Zorko has been past his best for a couple of seasons, anything he delivers this year is a bonus.

I would contend that our Premiership window is open as far as it is possible to be and will be for at least 2-3 more seasons.

Did you analyse Lions list? Yeah, see Malice post. Just in the middle of prime with continuous supply of talent coming in.

A small example. Lions made GF without Ashcroft. Just imagine him back and that his brother is as good if not better (joining in the off-season) and how both will contribute in 2-3 years. Fletcher is another unbelievable talent just starting. More good kids in academy.

And they are attractive destination (to replace Cameron, Daniher in 3 years if needed).

Last edited:
Squads are made up of 22, though, not 10, and it will be 6 over 30 in just 2 days, not 4. It'd be a mix of age and their grand final appearance, happens all the time. Brisbane have been contenders for 5 seasons in a row, then they finally got to the Grand final near the last roll of the dice. Maybe had they missed out on it, it would have driven them like Geelong in 2021 with their very aged list in 2022, then fallen.
I'm not arguing anything other than their list being too old.

Of course there could be other reasons and only an idiot would say otherwise, but I only ever talked about the age and it's demonstrably fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll stick with my prediction how would that be if they play off in the Granny again after both starting 0-2 ( people will say the omens are there as they started there rivalry in 2002 ) even if they start 0-3

2002 + 2003

Joking. But you can't rule them out. * I have to clutch at something the way things are going atm we look more like a bottom four club. If we lose tonight then man I'm going to ask for Tony Shaw to be re-appointed at the club to start our rebuild before our rebuild.

Bring back Mick!

You got one shot at it. Who would you '' Guess '' to play off in next years Granny?

I'll go with a repeat of this years Grand Final. Lions vs Pies with Brisbane topping the ladder. I won't be predicting who's going to win yet.

Nick Daicos for the brownlow.
I'm going to stand by this still. Both started the season 0-3, they will rematch again like 2003.

For a grand final replay, that was utter garbage lucky for Collingwood that Brisbane crapped the bed with Hipwood leading the way.
Fagan has no plan B ever since Coleman went down in round 0. Goes to show how important possession off half back is and no surprise to see Daicos back there again. Doubt any of these sides will finish top 4.
Lock in at least one of the NSW teams for the GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back