Rumour 2024 Hypothetical trade and FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If we give pick 4 away from a player on the outer at the dogs after a knee reco I’ll s**t my pants

After an ACL? Not for this little black duck...

That will be the asking price.

I don't see how we bring in a player like Bailey Smith for much less than that, honestly.

You give up Pick 4 for Smith (try and get something back, but push comes to shove - you just do it to get someone of his calibre in).

IMO with Smith, you just build that competition for mid minutes and demand that players step up if they want to get minutes.

It’s a powerful midfield with so much potential for growth:

Newc, Day, Smith, CMac, Frenchy, Ward, Hustwaite, Nash, Worpel, Finn, Weddle?!

We've been bottom 6 for years now and none of DGB, Ward, Mackenzie or Watson (tough to include him, but point still stands) have shown anywhere near what Smith did in the first 12-36 months of his AFL career.
Why are people insistent on talking s**t about our players when it never matches reality.

Year 1
Ward: Disposals 19.1 Tackles 2.9 Goal Assists .5 Contested possessions 6.4 Clearances 2.7 score involvements 3.9
Smith: Disposals 17.7 Tackles 4.0 Goal Assists .7 Contested possessions 7.1 Clearances 2.5 score involvements 5.1

Year 2
Ward: Disposals 20.8 Tackles 1.9 Goal Assists .4 Contested possessions 5.3 Clearances 2.0 score involvements 4.4
Smith: Disposals 21.2 Tackles 2.5 Goal Assists .3 Contested possessions 7.3 Clearances 3.3 score involvements 4.3

Last edited:
This might sound crazy but I'd be happy to offer JUH 10 million over 6-7 years front ended. That would turn his head surely. The cap will only get much bigger over that period so by front ending say 4-5 million over the first two years this could work as I really don't want us to offer much for Smith as we need key position players and not another midfielder. That will help fill our considerable cap space and bring in a genuine match winning talent for our emerging midfield group to kick to. He can seriously play and is only getting better. The Dogs nor any other team could match that offer. He'd grow perfectly with our lists young age demographic. Get it done!
Count me in, I dont like breaking the bank for players but he’s one I would do it for.

Wards second year in the system vs Smith's

View attachment 1934080 View attachment 1934082

Why are people insistent on talking s**t about our players when it never matches reality.

I'm one of Ward's biggest defenders and supporters.

But his second season wasn't anywhere near as dynamic or influential as Smith's was.

By early 2021 (the equivalent timeframe to where Josh Ward is now) the question was being asked if Smith was the best of the lot from that 'super draft'. The draft including Walsh, Rozee and Butters to name a few.

Last edited:
I'm one of Ward's biggest defenders and supporters.

But his second season wasn't anywhere near as dynamic or influential as Smith's was.

By early 2021 (the equivalent timeframe to whete Josh Ward is now) the question was being asked if Smith was the best of the lot from that 'super draft'. The draft including Walsh, Rozee and Butters to name a few.
He kicked 4 and had 30 in the 2021 Prelim yeah?
They'll want the world. He's the face of their club too.
Will be a nightmare trade.

This might sound crazy but I'd be happy to offer JUH 10 million over 6-7 years front ended. That would turn his head surely. The cap will only get much bigger over that period so by front ending say 4-5 million over the first two years this could work as I really don't want us to offer much for Smith as we need key position players and not another midfielder. That will help fill our considerable cap space and bring in a genuine match winning talent for our emerging midfield group to kick to. He can seriously play and is only getting better. The Dogs nor any other team could match that offer. He'd grow perfectly with our lists young age demographic. Get it done!

Fully onboard with this, having watched his development in the last 12 months, this guy has to be our absolute #1 priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no way we should be offering our first pick it will likely be top 5. If we add
smith and a gun draft mid given the draft profile, then maybe the deal gets done with squeezing one of our young mids out to reduce the draft cost. Dogs have an aging midfield with smith and macrae likely to leave so needs youth and replenishment.
Day Newk Smith would likely be starting 3 with Worpel Mackenzie and Hustwaite the next in I believe as things stand. Then players like CMac Moore Weddle can run through that’s 9 plus the gun first pick. That leaves Nash Ward Maginness as pure mids on the outer. You can disagree with the player rankings I have but it’s clear there’s a need to rebalance.

If we give pick 4 away from a player on the outer at the dogs after a knee reco I’ll s**t my pants
Agreed. A top 5 pick for Baz is just ludicrous. He’ll need a season to get back to normal. If they demand that kind of return without something coming back then it’s a hard pass.

Last edited:
What are we giving up for him?
jennifer lawrence everything GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back