Prediction 2024 Jumper numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

The club clearly wants the number back and is definitely working emphatically with Denise seeking her blessing.

I understand the belief is that as time has passed, there are less people aware of Milane’s story, 30 years ago, and leaving the number out of play is actually not helping him be remembered.

There’s been discussions about bringing it back slowly, potentially in an honourable way.

All discussion at this stage.
But I feel it’s likely in the short term future.
I'd love to see the number come back. There is a real risk that the number, as you say, will become almost forgotten, maybe not to die hard Pies fans, but perhaps AFL supporters generally. There is an opportunity to reinvigorate the legacy and ensure that he is more readily remembered by the greater AFL community.

My personal opinion is that the number should be reserved for the first drafted each year (like 35 was). That way it keeps the number front of mind and is an opportunity to reinforce the spirit and legacy of The Raging Bull to the new guys coming to the club.

The perception may be that that's a little too much like the tradition of 35, but I think it's a real opportunity to promote the legacy and reinforce to the new recruit(s) what the number (and the man) means to Collingwood.

I'd love to see the number run around again...

Contracts are a legal document that can be broken and compensation paid.
A promise is a moral statement.
I believe a moral promise is something to be honoured.

if you believe Collingwood to be immoral, then continue to prosecute your case.
I very important distinction between contract and promise, BW, and I absoltely concur with you on this. That said, I believe that it would not be inappropriate to periodically explore whether both parties hold the same position, particularly 30 years on....
If so, then absolutely there must be no change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This 👍

Millane was a damn fine footy player, a Collingwood Premiership player, he deserves to be venerated, and venerated he has been …

… but let’s not lose perspective that there are another 198 Collingwood Premiership players - and many of them also damn fine footy players - and they haven’t been honoured in anything like this way. The only reason Millane seems to be treated differently is because he died young. And he happened to die young doing something society would label him a “bloody idiot” for - then and now and and at all times since.

30 years is long enough.

I reckon we should have a polite word to his Mum and say “We’re going to propose a motion at the 2024 AGM to put the #42 jumper back into circulation and put it to a vote … our preference would be to avoid doing that, and instead come to terms with you about how we can respectfully honour Darren and put the number back into circulation - give it some thought.”
Appreciate that this is an old comment but why is there such desperation to get 42 back into circulation? It’s not a particularly desirable number, and Darren’s immediate family are happy with it being retired. There’s no pressing need to have it out there?

Appreciate that this is an old comment but why is there such desperation to get 42 back into circulation? It’s not a particularly desirable number, and Darren’s immediate family are happy with it being retired. There’s no pressing need to have it out there?
Yes, big deal. Retired and let's leave it that way.

Anyone know which numbers were assigned to Eyre, Bytel and Sullivan?

1 Lipinski
2 De Goey
3 Quaynor
4 Maynard
5 Elliott
6 Mitchell
7 J.Daicos
8 Schultz
9 Noble
10 Pendlebury
11 McStay
12 Carmichael
13 Demattia
14 Cameron
15 Krueger
16 Allan
17 Frampton
18 Macrae
19 Jiath
21 Steene
22 Sidebottom
23 Hill
24 Ryan
25 Crisp
26 McInnes
28 Murphy
29 Richards
30 Moore
31 McCreery
32 Hoskin-Elliott
35 N.Daicos
36 Harrison
37 Markov
38 Howe
39 Begg
40 Johnson
41 Mihocek
43 Dean
46 Cox

Eyre. @ 199cm
Bytel. @ 189cm
Sullivan @ 180cm
Parker @ 183cm

Have been added to the profiles, but alas, Carmichael and Steene they havent updated their numbers

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back