List Mgmt. 2024 List Management šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Taking high ceiling guys in the mid-late 2nd round is fine.

I would worry about it more if it was a top 10 pick.

Sustained success for us from here is going to come from bringing in guys who can be brought up to speed on our system quickly and be ready to play a role.

Drafting for guys who learn fast and have the physical attributes to play a role at AFL level would be my criteria. Also not going to be put out by being a lesser light for a while

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Austin also hasn't had the 'luxury' of high draft picks since he arrived. Ollie being the exception at pick 11 a few years back.

The rest have basically been picks in the mid 2nd round or later - Motlop at #27, Cow at #30, Binns at #32, Moir at #29, Billy at #34, Durds at #37, Carroll at #41, Lem at #47.

Even this year, we may end up shifting our 1st round pick for points.

TBH, I do have a slight concern that we're not getting that top end talent coming in right now, and a number of our youngsters are more speculative than locks going forward. The last thing you want is to be caught in no man's land for years like a St.Kilda or Essendon.

Austin also hasn't had the 'luxury' of high draft picks since he arrived. Ollie being the exception at pick 11 a few years back.

The rest have basically been picks in the mid 2nd round or later - Motlop at #27, Cow at #30, Binns at #32, Moir at #29, Billy at #34, Durds at #37, Carroll at #41, Lem at #47.

Even this year, we may end up shifting our 1st round pick for points.

TBH, I do have a slight concern that we're not getting that top end talent coming in right now, and a number of our youngsters are more speculative than locks going forward. The last thing you want is to be caught in no man's land for years like a St.Kilda or Essendon.
I guess thatā€™s a strength of Austin

Where he took Ollie, Cowan, Binns, I would have looked at different players, but said at the time at all 3 boys had a higher floor

Really interested how his drafting unfolds

The Bedford/Daniels/Jones combo looks impressive

It would be great to add another quick, X factor small forward this year but they are rare
Missed an opportunity to go after an X Factor small forward by not going after Liam Henry. He's the one SOS bid on in his draft year but failed to get him. As a small forward looks the goods, but SOS got his way last year.

Missed an opportunity to go after an X Factor small forward by not going after Liam Henry. He's the one SOS bid on in his draft year but failed to get him. As a small forward looks the goods, but SOS got his way last year.
Moving on Gresham for first round compensation was a good SOS move.
Sometimes you have to be prepared to roll the dice.
Think there was another senior player traded also to attain a decent draft pick?

He isnā€™t really a small forward but. Could probably play Fogarty or Cottrellā€™s role but looks better in a role where he can hunt the ball abit

We actually got out of Rogers tenure alright with Doc, Cripps and Jones from his two seasons.
If you look at our list in 2016, it was already in a really good spot after SOSā€™s first season.
SPS, Dow and LOB picks hurt us plus SOS chasing Kennedy and Setterfield to put next to Cripps when running power was becoming more important set us back a couple of years. Had we succeeded in getting Shiel after bombing out in the 16 and 17 drafts I would hate to know where we might have been right now.

We actually got out of Rogers tenure alright with Doc, Cripps and Jones from his two seasons.
If you look at our list in 2016, it was already in a really good spot after SOSā€™s first season.
SPS, Dow and LOB picks hurt us plus SOS chasing Kennedy and Setterfield to put next to Cripps when running power was becoming more important set us back a couple of years. Had we succeeded in getting Shiel after bombing out in the 16 and 17 drafts I would hate to know where we might have been right now.
The facts make your post inaccurate.
SoS= Newman, Cottrel, Pittonet, Dekonig, Owies, Cunningham
SoS wasn't gifted Mckay and Curnow, he traded players out for picks, to attain them.
Kennedy is a vital player in our set up.
Our list was far from set in 2016.
The criticism of SoS that he missed on Obrien, Dow, SPS sets the bar ridiculously high where he would have had to nail every pick to be considered a success. Instead, you should thank him for answering the clubs call in its hour of need

SoS wasn't gifted Mckay and Curnow, he traded players out for picks, to attain them.
The criticism of SoS that he missed on Obrien, Dow, SPS sets the bar ridiculously high where he would have had to nail every pick to be considered a success. Instead, you should thank him for answering the clubs call in its hour of need
4 of our 5 best players were on our list in 2016. The other core player who our list is built around (Walsh) we found with pick 1 a few years later. With the amount of assets he had between 2016 and 2019 Iā€™d say that part of his tenure was poor. I think his starting draft hand wouldā€™ve been something like 1,3,3,5,19,21,21 and 23 plus Gibbs and Touhy as trade bait.
We got TDK, Walsh and some role players.

Our list is in a very good spot so SOS done his job.

Kpd
Pace
Kicking skills
KPD I agree with but there's no way known to get a decent KPD in the door for any less than half a million.

Small fwds are the pace and kicking skills we're missing. Miers, Stengle, Dempsie, Henry, Close... They torched us time and time again as soon as the ball was rebounded.

Our smalls just do not get involved in our offense nearly enough. It's been an issue for years and it must be addressed if we're to improve our forward half game.

I guess thatā€™s a strength of Austin

Where he took Ollie, Cowan, Binns, I would have looked at different players, but said at the time at all 3 boys had a higher floor

Really interested how his drafting unfolds
To be fair, how can concerns over not having "top end talent" be construed as a "strength"? You said yourself that you would have looked elsewhere for those picks. Those players are getting games in a depleted side but they aren't setting the world on fire just yet.

We have too many peripheral players who seem to struggle to make the step up for whatever reason. I'm not blaming Austin just yet but once they get entrenched into the side, we'll start considering that to be the norm. I almost feel like tearing my hair out whenever I read that "every side has role players".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SoS got one draft right, 2015 with his first three choices. After those three he missed.
His other efforts in selecting players at the draft were appalling as the table
SoS missed a lot more than just those!

He got the first three picks of the 2015 draft right, stunningly. He then had another 30 picks over his years in the draft, the rookie draft and the mid-year draft.

In those 30, he got one right, Sam Walsh.

1Jacob WeiteringĆ¼
Clayton Oliver (4)
10Harry McKayĆ¼
12Charlie CurnowĆ¼
23David CuninghamJosh Dunkley (25)
53Jack SilvagniJordan Dawson (56)
Rookie
1Jesse Glass-McCaskerTom Papley (14)
19Andrew GallucciAnthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (22)
37Matthew KorcheckDan Houston (45)
6Sam Petrevski-SetonJy Simpkin (12)
27Zac FisherShai Bolton (29)
Tom Stewart (40)
47Harrison MacreadieDarcy Cameron (48)
Jack Graham (53)
59Cameron PolsonLuke Ryan (66)
Nick Larkey (73)
Harry Morrison (74)
61Tom WilliamsonLuke Ryan (66)
Nick Larkey (73)
Harry Morrison (74)
65Pat KerrLuke Ryan (66)
Nick Larkey (73)
Harry Morrison (74)
Rookie
5Kym LeBoisTyson Stengle (6)
Rowan Marshall (10)
Cameron Zurhaar (11)
Jack Henry (16)
23Alex SilvagniZach Guthrie (33)
Oscar McInerney (37)
3Paddy DowLDU (4)
Adam Cerra (5)
Aaron Naughton (9)
10Lachie O'BrienEd Richards (16)
Oscar Allen (21)
Tim Kelly (24)
Liam Ryan (26)
Sam Taylor (28)
30Tom De KoningBayley Fritsch (31)
70Angus SchumacherSam Switkowski (73)
78Jarrod GarlettLast pick in the draft
Rookie
3Matt ShawBailey Banfield (5)
Liam Baker (18)
Brody Mihocek (22)
Joel Amartey (28)
1Sam WalshĆ¼
19Liam StockerJames Rowbottom (25)
66Finbar O'DwyerToby Bedford (75)
70Ben SilvagniToby Bedford (75)
Rookie
1Hugh GoddardCallum Wilkie (3)
19Tomas BuggJordon Butts (39)
17Brodie KempSam De Koning (19)
Harrison Jones (30)
Chad Warner (39)
20Sam PhilpHarrison Jones (30)
Chad Warner (39)
47Sam RamsayJake Riccardi (51)
Rookie
3Josh HoneyBen Keays (7)
Brad Close (14)
Mid Year
1Josh DelucaWill Snelling (7)
Marlion Pickett (13)
John Noble (14)

Have we seen enough of Young this year to know it's not going to work out with him and Weiters as a pairing? Surely on the trade table end of year?

Have we seen enough of Young this year to know it's not going to work out with him and Weiters as a pairing? Surely on the trade table end of year?
Yes ā€¦ but whatā€™s the alternative? McGovern, Marchbank, Kemp all have queries. Lemmey developing but a long way off.
Young might keep his place by default. Fascinating who we target for MSD.
Priorities? skilled speedy outside mid/forward; KPD
2024 Draft priorities - father/sons; KPF: Ruck;

Yes ā€¦ but whatā€™s the alternative? McGovern, Marchbank, Kemp all have queries. Lemmey developing but a long way off.
Young might keep his place by default. Fascinating who we target for MSD.
Priorities? skilled speedy outside mid/forward; KPD
2024 Draft priorities - father/sons; KPF: Ruck;
I have no idea but I think we're probably just stuck in our situation how it is for the time being. We need to address ur forward half game as a more pressing need but it would be bloody handy to have a 2nd KPD we could rely on. Hopefully Kemp can have a huge off season/back half of this season and develop into that for us. Imo he just needs to commit to bulking up even though it will greatly reduce his versatility.

Why he is a very good depth key position defender still under contract.
Marchbank & McGovern are injury prone, not sure why this would be a consideration.
Lemmey looks miles off as a key defender even at VFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back