List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

The list is interesting from here.
Levi and Will both come in next year. That's two from the pies game gone.

Then add McKenna and kiddy and maybe Doedee.

That 5 from pies game lur.

Then guys like Prior, Sharp, Tunstill, Madden, Lane, Smith and Carter Michael have been around a while now. Clearly the coaching staff don't trust them.

Fagan made a comment in his press conference last night when questioned on the selections "they're the players we have".

Can see a clean out come end of this year.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

With Doedee during another knee how can this get any worse. Even with 2 knee reconstructions, was that not enough of a warning flag , yet brisbane lions rather than waiting 12 months WHICH IS THE ACCEPTED NORM from a reco , bring him back 9 and half months and GUESS WHAT DOES ANOTHER KNEE. Bad , bad decision making at the lions . With Deodee and kiddy long term injuries, we must attack attack the mid season draft like our life depends on it. Going to be super critical which will be the biggest Understatement of the year.

With Doedee during another knee how can this get any worse. Even with 2 knee reconstructions, was that not enough of a warning flag , yet brisbane lions rather than waiting 12 months WHICH IS THE ACCEPTED NORM from a reco , bring him back 9 and half months and GUESS WHAT DOES ANOTHER KNEE. Bad , bad decision making at the lions . With Deodee and kiddy long term injuries, we must attack attack the mid season draft like our life depends on it. Going to be super critical which will be the biggest Understatement of the year.

Not to be a dick, but do you know what the difference in recovery and chance of reinjuring is if you come back in 10 months v 12 months?

Not to be a dick, but do you know what the difference in recovery and chance of reinjuring is if you come back in 10 months v 12 months?
There are no guarantees I can give you regards 10 vs 12. however Cam waited 12 months, a lot of players at Fitzroy waited 12 months after a reco ,my brother did a knee while training with the under 19’s at Fitzroy. Doctor told my brother he had to wait 12 months back then.He then had a further 2 reco’s after that. The point I am making with Doedee is that we picked him knowing he already had two knee recos,

In my opinion, knowing what the club knew, the more prudent decision would have been to play it safe and exercise extreme caution as the flags were there to begin with.(I was surprised the club even went with Doedee given his two reco’s , but that is just my opinion). With two reco’s the club should have gone down a more cautious approach just like Cam but even more so because of Doedee’s history. I am not doubting Doedee talent at all. I feel for Doedee because he is no doubt talented, only hope he recovers and makes a strong contribution to the Lions.

So to your question ,my personal opinion the longer the better with the disclaimer, that when it comes to knee injuries,anything can happen at anytime , no matter how long or how hard you train in your rehab.

Last edited:
There are no guarantees I can give you , however Cam waited 12 months, a lot of players at Fitzroy waited 12 months after a reco ,my brother did a knee while training with the under 19’s at Fitzroy. Doctor told my brother he had to wait 12 months back then.He then had a further 2 reco’s after that. The point I am making with Doedee is that we picked him knowing he already had two knee recos,

In my opinion, knowing what the club knew, the more prudent decision would have been to play it safe and exercise extreme caution as the flags were there to begin with.(I was surprised the club even went with Doedee given his two reco’s , but that is just my opinion). With two reco’s the club should have gone down a more cautious approach just like Cam but even more so because of Doedee’s history. I am not doubting Doedee talent at all. I feel for Doedee because he is no doubt talented, only hope he recovers and has strong contribution to the Lions.

Cam might’ve played in January after 10 months if there were games to play. Haha

Looking forward to 2025; what holes do we have in our 23 to win a premiership

Not interested in posting about tanking or rebuilds

I think our back 7 is pretty settled and solid as well

Andrews and Payne on the talls. Gardiner depth

Doedee 3rd tall, intercept and rebound. Lester depth

Starcevich lockdown small. Answerth depth

Kiddy, McKenna and Wilmot rebound. Prior and Brain depth
I believe we need to be looking for successors to Andrews and McKenna. Players who will be ready to go in two or three seasons.
Forward line pretty settled with the only issue being a second ruck (ditching the sub and having 5 on the bench would help)

Daniher, Hipwood, Charlie, Linc, Rayner and Bailey. Lohmann, Ryan and Morris depth
Just my opinion, but I believe we need a successor to Cameron and Daniher in the squad asap.

I believe injuries are really going to impact Cameron, and probably shorten his career.
First string midfield looks strong; Neale, Dunkley, Ashcroft, Clug and Berry/Fletcher

Ruck is an issue with Oscar all we have
And I believe we’re missing 4 players from our midfield.

A quality winger, who’s good kick with endurance and pace, to replace Berry. That could be McCluggage if we change our midfield mix and game plan.

A proper big bodied mid on the bench. A player similar to Luke Davies-Uniack or Matthew Kennedy at Carlton.

A quality, ball hunting, athletic running mid similar to Chad Warner from Sydney.

And a ruck similar to Steph Martin, but a little taller. Mobile, athletic, able to play around the ground, and offer a target down the line.
This gives us

B: Doedee Payne Starcevich
HB: Coleman Andrews McKenna
C: Berry Neale McCluggage
HF: Rayner Hipwood Bailey
F: Cameron Daniher McCarthy
Foll: McInerney Dunkley Ashcroft
Bench: Wilmot, Fletcher

The last 2 to 3 spots IMO have to be capable of playing midfield. One is likely to be Levi. Allowing for Rayner and Bailey to stay forward and only occasionally go into the middle

I think we need to find a B grade midfielder with capacity to play forward.

Solving the ruck issue though I don't have answers for. If we had 5 on the bench you'd consider playing Fort or HSmith

The list is interesting from here.
Levi and Will both come in next year. That's two from the pies game gone.

Then add McKenna and kiddy and maybe Doedee.

That 5 from pies game lur.

Then guys like Prior, Sharp, Tunstill, Madden, Lane, Smith and Carter Michael have been around a while now. Clearly the coaching staff don't trust them.

Fagan made a comment in his press conference last night when questioned on the selections "they're the players we have".

Can see a clean out come end of this year.

Will to the midfield, Levi to the forward line. Wouldn’t want to put Levi straight in to midfield.

Unless our horror form continues, we’re not going to have a high pick in the MSD, and the MSD isn’t usually very deep on genuine starting quality players.

I believe we need to be looking for successors to Andrews and McKenna. Players who will be ready to go in two or three seasons.

Just my opinion, but I believe we need a successor to Cameron and Daniher in the squad asap.

I believe injuries are really going to impact Cameron, and probably shorten his career.

And I believe we’re missing 4 players from our midfield.

A quality winger, who’s good kick with endurance and pace, to replace Berry. That could be McCluggage if we change our midfield mix and game plan.

A proper big bodied mid on the bench. A player similar to Luke Davies-Uniack or Matthew Kennedy at Carlton.

A quality, ball hunting, athletic running mid similar to Chad Warner from Sydney.

And a ruck similar to Steph Martin, but a little taller. Mobile, athletic, able to play around the ground, and offer a target down the line.

I was trying to be a bit more realistic rather than putting together a wishlist

Warner would be perfect though and a more mobile ruck

Either way

• we rushed McKenna back and he reinsured himself.
  • we played Neal before he was ready, injured himself
  • appear to have rushed Doedoo back and he injured himself
There's a pattern of rushing players back and not trusting younger players.

Totally agree, In my opinion Fagan is rushing back players who are under done is an act/sign of desperation on his part because it appears he simply does not believe OR HAVE FAITH IN in the list therefore wants to stick with the squad he knows.

To your point also not trusting in his young Players to step up is a fatal mistake,as it gives under performing players carte blanche to continue what they are doing with ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY and IMMUNITY from being dropped knowing Fagan will simply STAND IN to protect them.

Fagan, to see what the younger players can do , you need to believe in them 1stly and GIVE THEM A FRINGIN CHANCE TO SHOW US WHAT OR WHAT NOT THEY CAN DO. so really good points there Scubaveg.At some point Fagan ,you need to show faith in the young players and give them an opportunity, a chance to see if they any good at AFL level.

Fagan your intransigent mindset is in fact, really hurting the club more than helping it grow and potentially prosper.

Last edited:
Totally agree, In my opinion Fagan is rushing back players who are under done is an act/sign of desperation on his part because it appears he simply does not believe OR HAVE FAITH IN in the list therefore wants to stick with the squad he knows.

To your point also not trusting in his young Players to step up is a fatal mistake,as it gives under performing players carte blanche to continue what they are doing with ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY and IMMUNITY from being dropped knowing Fagan will simply STAND IN to protect them.

Fagan, to see what the younger players can do , you need to believe in them 1stly and GIVE THEM A FRINGIN CHANCE TO SHOW US WHAT OR WHAT NOT THEY CAN DO. so really good points there Scubaveg.At some point Fagan ,you need to show faith in the young players and give them an opportunity, a chance to see if they any good at AFL level.

Fagan your intransigent mindset is in fact, really hurting the club more than helping it grow and potentially prosper.

Are you ok

There are no guarantees I can give you regards 10 vs 12. however Cam waited 12 months, a lot of players at Fitzroy waited 12 months after a reco ,my brother did a knee while training with the under 19’s at Fitzroy. Doctor told my brother he had to wait 12 months back then.He then had a further 2 reco’s after that. The point I am making with Doedee is that we picked him knowing he already had two knee recos,

In my opinion, knowing what the club knew, the more prudent decision would have been to play it safe and exercise extreme caution as the flags were there to begin with.(I was surprised the club even went with Doedee given his two reco’s , but that is just my opinion). With two reco’s the club should have gone down a more cautious approach just like Cam but even more so because of Doedee’s history. I am not doubting Doedee talent at all. I feel for Doedee because he is no doubt talented, only hope he recovers and makes a strong contribution to the Lions.

So to your question ,my personal opinion the longer the better with the disclaimer, that when it comes to knee injuries,anything can happen at anytime , no matter how long or how hard you train in your rehab.
I think Doedee will be our modern day Pat Garner or Cal Bartlett and we likely won’t see him play a single game for the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to see Jackess blindly lol at your post while blindly lauding Fagan and his award winning merry men for not once dropping a modicum of a name player, achieving didly squat and expecting the status quo will see us to a flag in 24.

I was trying to be a bit more realistic rather than putting together a wishlist

Warner would be perfect though and a more mobile ruck
Just my opinion on what we are missing, or will need in the near future.

Not saying to go and get those specific players, because it’s unlikely we’re pulling them out of their current clubs.

Should go after John Noble

b1a7e79a6e4ab4c938ac50fac779b2d9.jpg

We’re so back.

Bored thought bubble.

Levi Ashcroft shows all the signs of being very good straight up in 2025, if Sam Marshall has a really good year and moves up the ratings do we contemplate looking at trading out someone with currency who has not quite lived up to expectations?

eg. Cam Rayner, Zac Bailey, Jarrod Berry. Not all 3, just one.

I was thinking similar last night re: where could we trade out a player or 2 to generate currency.

I just don't see berry having much currency.

Raynor a little bit and I reckon Bailey could be a really attractive offer. The thing with Bailey is that I reckon once we trade him he could very well put it all together and become a top Small Forward/ Mid. But I agree that we may need to take this sort of risk to fill deficiencies in the existing best 22.

Back